Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-10-2020, 10:33 PM   #41
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Where is Fortress at in their Phase 1 redevelopment?

https://www.skifortress.com/
Year 1, for 10 years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Calm the fukc down, ain't nobody got time for that.
Uhh, since Clayton stopped building their park line, 10 years ago, you bet COP is more fun. Plus the taco, and taco nights.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2020, 01:26 PM   #42
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So, I sold my truck and bought a wagon, which means I also bought a ski box which just arrived. How do you guys store your ski boxes? I can't hoist it above from the ceiling because of the door opener and a heater in the way, so it has to somehow go on the wall.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:47 PM   #43
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just lean it up against the wall on an old bath mat, to be honest. Have yet to come up with a better storage solution.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:08 PM   #44
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

LOL leave it on year round. Best solution ever.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:14 PM   #45
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
So, I sold my truck and bought a wagon, which means I also bought a ski box which just arrived. How do you guys store your ski boxes? I can't hoist it above from the ceiling because of the door opener and a heater in the way, so it has to somehow go on the wall.
My apartment building had storage cages in the parkade, so I put it on top of that (which worked really well). I just moved to a place with a garage though, so for now mine's also just leaning against the wall. I'll probably wait till the spring to figure out something better because in a month or two it'll be stored on the car.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:16 PM   #46
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I put a pole through the parts that go on the crossbars, essentially just like the crossbar. Then hang the whole thing on the wall using large hooks (I actually made wall hooks). Make the pole at least 6 inches wider than the box on each side. Sorry if not making sense. Could take a pic later when home.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:22 PM   #47
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd like to see that pic!
Old 09-29-2020, 01:21 PM   #48
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So with my kids starting to try new things I thought about skiing with them. I haven't skied for probably 10 years, but I'm sure it will come back to me. However I have no desire to try and teach them and think I should leave it up to the instructors. Would LL be a good place for them to learn via instructors? Or am I better just to find a small hill (Alliance & Canyon are closest) for them to try. They are 7 and 5
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:27 PM   #49
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
So with my kids starting to try new things I thought about skiing with them. I haven't skied for probably 10 years, but I'm sure it will come back to me. However I have no desire to try and teach them and think I should leave it up to the instructors. Would LL be a good place for them to learn via instructors? Or am I better just to find a small hill (Alliance & Canyon are closest) for them to try. They are 7 and 5
Canyon outside Red Deer there is a great place to learn, they do have instructors too. I wouldn't bother commuting all the way to somewhere like LL for them to use the bunny hill.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:31 PM   #50
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Canyon outside Red Deer there is a great place to learn, they do have instructors too. I wouldn't bother commuting all the way to somewhere like LL for them to use the bunny hill.

LL was more for me thought we could do a weekend in Banff this year as I don’t see us using our Disney points this year. I was just worried LL would be too much for a 100% brand new skier to learn on.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:31 PM   #51
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LL was more for me thought we could do a weekend in Banff this year as I don’t see us using our Disney points this year. I was just worried LL would be too much for a 100% brand new skier to learn on.
Oh in that case then yes. Take the kids dump them in a camp/with an instructor and go have fun!
Old 09-29-2020, 01:32 PM   #52
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Last year's skis are all 20-40% off at Guides Hut in Fernie. I just outfitted my kids on the weekend for the upcoming race year with last years gear for DIRT cheap.

I keep hearing all kinds of crazy rumours as well. Apparently hard goods won't be to hard to come by, but there's a major shortage of soft goods looming for anyone that was manufacturing in Asia (Patagonia, North Face).

No idea if it's true or not, but I would buy early if you can to avoid that.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:34 PM   #53
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Weitz is correct, Canyon is a great place to learn. Both my kids learnt there, as an aside Canyon on a god snow day has a few little hidden gems of runs. Nothing to compete with the mountains but for a little place spitting distance from Red Deer we had a few fun days.

The lessons there were pretty reasonable, I got my wife private ones and the kids a couple of private ones (two of them one instructor).

The first time I took them to the mountains (Sunshine) the ripped the hill up.

TLDR: Go to Canyon

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 01:36 PM   #54
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
RCR has excellent day programs for kids. I've had my kids in the weekend school the last few years while they were racing, and I dare say it's a better program (less kids) than a race team.

My kids would ski every Saturday on the Fernie ski team, then Sunday with the RCR school. RCR school capped the number of kids at (IIRC) 3 kids, where the FAST program was 8 kids and a parent tailgunner.

https://skircr.com/product-category/ski-school/

I'd highly recommend it for beginners.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 01:39 PM   #55
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My wife and I have a condo in Golden, it was a future vacation prop plan and we have traditionally rented it out. This year we decided with COVID that we would keep it for ourselves and share(rent) half to a couple of close friends. Bought a season pass at KH and I am pumped for the season. My plan for a couple of days a week will be:

7am -9:30am - Work
9:30am-12:30pm - Ski
1pm- 5pm - Work

I really think it could drastically change my winter season moving forward. Usually, I share Flames season tickets and play a 30+ game rec hockey schedule.
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:40 PM   #56
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomerPile View Post
My wife and I have a condo in Golden, it was a future vacation prop plan and we have traditionally rented it out. This year we decided with COVID that we would keep it for ourselves and share(rent) half to a couple of close friends. Bought a season pass at KH and I am pumped for the season. My plan for a couple of days a week will be:

1pm- 5pm - Work

I really think it could drastically change my winter season moving forward. Usually, I share Flames season tickets and play a 30+ game rec hockey schedule.
I hate you.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 01:47 PM   #57
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you in Golden or on the hill? That drastically changes how jealous I am.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #58
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

1pm- 5pm - Work
Can I join your bubble?
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 01:53 PM   #59
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:

1pm- 5pm - Work

You might want to tweak your work hours on powder days.

And I agree with the previous post, we all hate you.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #60
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:

1pm- 5pm - Work

How's the real estate market at KHM? Going bonkers?

Fernie is NUTS right now. Everyone in Western Canada is trying to sell their house and live in a ski town, and work remotely (myself included). It's driving property values out of control.