Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2021, 10:09 AM   #641
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameyMcFlameFace View Post
How is there no announcements of a press conference hinting at firings? How?

You mean the I have full confidence in our coach statement that precedes every firing?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:31 AM   #642
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What we want

what we'll get
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 12:08 PM   #643
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
Not just how they're handled...how they're constructed.

It's unrealistic to just assume these PPG's hold the line when playing reduced minutes, with far inferior linemates than their previous clubs.

How they're being deployed is one of a litany of problems.
Both Leivo and Simon got chances with Gaudreau and Monahan, and Leivo has played elsewhere in the lineup and in none of these chances have either looked good. And Leivo mostly played with Horvat and Pearson, who I’d put below Monahan and Gaudreau offensively, as a tandem.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:34 PM   #644
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Both Leivo and Simon got chances with Gaudreau and Monahan, and Leivo has played elsewhere in the lineup and in none of these chances have either looked good. And Leivo mostly played with Horvat and Pearson, who I’d put below Monahan and Gaudreau offensively, as a tandem.
Yes they've had chances. Leivo got a brief look - most of his time has been spent on the 3rd and 4th line. He at least has been generating chances. His ice-time is also down a full 5 minutes per game this year. With his current cast of line mates - Nordstrom/Froese/Gawdin/Rinaldo - and playing ~9 minutes a night, there's no way we can reasonably expect production.

Simon, I've got nothing. He's been bad and isn't owed anything based on his lack of doing anything.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:02 PM   #645
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

The absolute radio silence from the team is pissing me off to no end. This isn't going to fix itself.

If this is still a "process," then it's a process that needs to be suspended from being processed immediately and a new process needs to be designed to replace it.

There is literally a factory worker caught in a machine and the team is operating like it will sort itself out eventually instead of just hitting the red button. Maybe hitting the red button would be an unwanted admission that something is wrong? Maybe admitting something is wrong would require some sort of examination? How did the worker get stuck in a machine? Do we have the right operating and saftey procedures? Is the training program sufficient? Did the worker neglect a procedure? Is the machine faulty?

...or do they pretend nothing's wrong while everyone waits to see if the worker comes out the other side still alive or not?
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:15 PM   #646
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
The absolute radio silence from the team is pissing me off to no end. This isn't going to fix itself.

If this is still a "process," then it's a process that needs to be suspended from being processed immediately and a new process needs to be designed to replace it.

There is literally a factory worker caught in a machine and the team is operating like it will sort itself out eventually instead of just hitting the red button. Maybe hitting the red button would be an unwanted admission that something is wrong? Maybe admitting something is wrong would require some sort of examination? How did the worker get stuck in a machine? Do we have the right operating and saftey procedures? Is the training program sufficient? Did the worker neglect a procedure? Is the machine faulty?

...or do they pretend nothing's wrong while everyone waits to see if the worker comes out the other side still alive or not?
Apart from a big trade or someone being fired what would satisfy you at this stage? What do you want them to say?
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:31 PM   #647
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Apart from a big trade or someone being fired what would satisfy you at this stage? What do you want them to say?
MTL starts the season 9-3-2, then they go on a break for a week, come back and lose 3 in a row and then fire their coach. Statement made: losing is not tolerated.

We've been floundering the entire season without a single change. Statement made: ?

At this point I'd rather be a fan of an organization like MTL than CGY.

Edit: To clarify, our culture is "We hate losing, but we're gonna keep doing it anyway." I would rather our culture be "We hate losing, so we're not going to do it."

Last edited by FanIn80; 03-03-2021 at 01:36 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:35 PM   #648
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Bergevin also used last year as a measuring stick of what wouldn't be tolerated. He said that he noticed their game was creeping towards how it was during 2 of their biggest losing streaks so he made the move.

I would also appreciate that sort of proactive behavior here be it with coaches or players.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 01:37 PM   #649
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I understand that there are things that may be best handled internally, and that there may be actions taking place that we as fans or even the media are not privy to. That's fine. But, I also think it's pretty poor PR on the part of the team not to have some communication from upper management to the fans that addresses the team's current results. We're rapidly approaching the mid-point of the season, the team looks to be collapsing, and there seems to be no real attempt to manage public perception by the team's manager. I mean, Tre's team and the coach he hired are being left to face the spotlight and criticism of key stakeholders on their own as their boss stays quiet.

I understand people not feeling good about that. At a time when the team appears to be having major leadership issues, the organizational leadership is also conspicuously absent.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 01:46 PM   #650
Willi Plett
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I think his point is that by now someone should have pushed the big red button.

Personally, there isn’t anything to be said. Someone should be fired. Should HAVE BEEN fired.

A trade? How big? All but 4-5 players are underperforming. Many by a wide margin. I sincerely don’t think we are on our planned target (can’t say as I don’t know internally what was expected). I think we are well off what would have been expected and worse the trend and momentum is in the wrong direction. Tough to trade one player, maybe 2. How to you fix 10,12,14?

In my world managers and leaders get fired when an entire team is completely missing the mark on delivering on planned expectations. The hockey equivalency is captaincy, coach, manager, president. No, not all of those, but wherever the failure is to get performance of the team on track with expectations.
Willi Plett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willi Plett For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 01:50 PM   #651
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I understand that there are things that may be best handled internally, and that there may be actions taking place that we as fans or even the media are not privy to. That's fine. But, I also think it's pretty poor PR on the part of the team not to have some communication from upper management to the fans that addresses the team's current results. We're rapidly approaching the mid-point of the season, the team looks to be collapsing, and there seems to be no real attempt to manage public perception by the team's manager. I mean, Tre's team and the coach he hired are being left to face the spotlight and criticism of key stakeholders on their own as their boss stays quiet.

I understand people not feeling good about that. At a time when the team appears to be having major leadership issues, the organizational leadership is also conspicuously absent.
Fair but I highly suspect that there is nothing they could say that would satisfy the fans. Unless it's to announce Ward is being fired. But if they aren't doing that - I don't know what they would say that would actually make people feel OK. If anything I think it would make people more upset.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:51 PM   #652
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Plett View Post
I think his point is that by now someone should have pushed the big red button.

Personally, there isn’t anything to be said. Someone should be fired. Should HAVE BEEN fired.

A trade? How big? All but 4-5 players are underperforming. Many by a wide margin. I sincerely don’t think we are on our planned target (can’t say as I don’t know internally what was expected). I think we are well off what would have been expected and worse the trend and momentum is in the wrong direction. Tough to trade one player, maybe 2. How to you fix 10,12,14?

In my world managers and leaders get fired when an entire team is completely missing the mark on delivering on planned expectations. The hockey equivalency is captaincy, coach, manager, president. No, not all of those, but wherever the failure is to get performance of the team on track with expectations.
Right. Which is my point. Apart from announcing a firing not sure what people should expect.
And people may want to start to get their heads around that there is a high probability that no one is being fired right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 02:04 PM   #653
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Right. Which is my point. Apart from announcing a firing not sure what people should expect.
And people may want to start to get their heads around that there is a high probability that no one is being fired right now.
This franchise should be ashamed if the only course of action is to do nothing when they are so far off the mark. The current team is sinking link an old man into a warm bath, and it's quite shameful there seems to be no response organizationally. From anyone. Which is honestly on brand for the entire roster from the captain down.

We've effectively been sold that this team is in it's championship window and even at a best case scenario, we are talking maybe a 4th place finish, and that's a huge if. Reality states they'll win a couple and continue to lose big more often than not, and we'll all sit and listen to how good the room is and how much everyone cares.

Stay the course, Brad. Trust the process, Brad. What a wet noodle.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 03-03-2021 at 02:06 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hot_Flatus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2021, 02:30 PM   #654
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
MTL starts the season 9-3-2, then they go on a break for a week, come back and lose 3 in a row and then fire their coach. Statement made: losing is not tolerated.

We've been floundering the entire season without a single change. Statement made: ?

At this point I'd rather be a fan of an organization like MTL than CGY.

Edit: To clarify, our culture is "We hate losing, but we're gonna keep doing it anyway." I would rather our culture be "We hate losing, so we're not going to do it."

A point was made on Vancouver radio by (I think it was LeBrun Nope! Satiar Shah) someone after the Montreal changes, about how the Canucks, as in the executive portion of the team, had more or less written this season off before it even started. Other than burning off contract years, they're content to just ride it out no matter what way it goes and they would have as soon just cancelled the year. Montreal, however, apparently sees this season as a "go for it" year as players like Suzuki and Koktaniemi are going to get big raises real soon and there's only so much left in Price's tank. They also feel that this year is the best opportunity for a deep run due to the structure of both the season and the play-offs.

It's possible the Flames organization have approached this season the same way as the Canucks (apparently quite a few teams are in this boat) and just don't see this season as an actual good barometer for where the team actually is/are just waiting for the season to end to make moves to save money.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 03-03-2021 at 02:32 PM.
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:41 PM   #655
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This team reminds me of the Iginla years, where they would play like crap so the coach got canned. Then, with a new coach, all of a sudden turn things around.
IMO, they are playing to get the coach fired, or force management to trade some of them.
I would not be sad to see some of our top players shipped out, this team is going nowhere with the guys we have at the moment!!!
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:37 PM   #656
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair but I highly suspect that there is nothing they could say that would satisfy the fans. Unless it's to announce Ward is being fired. But if they aren't doing that - I don't know what they would say that would actually make people feel OK. If anything I think it would make people more upset.
I would feel a bit better even if they said something like they believe they have a team with skill and ability to compete in the playoffs, but that current results aren't meeting expectations so, although they're restricted in moves that they can make due to COVID, they will be using the next part of the season to reassess every single player and coach as to whether or not they are contributing towards building a winning organization and they will make appropriate changes in the summer.

Now, I would personally much prefer if they held a conference to announce Gallant or Sutter as coach instead, but even a noncommittal message that nonetheless acknowledges the problems and says that there will be action and accountability for play in the near future would be better than silence.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:21 PM   #657
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
This franchise should be ashamed if the only course of action is to do nothing when they are so far off the mark. The current team is sinking link an old man into a warm bath, and it's quite shameful there seems to be no response organizationally. From anyone. Which is honestly on brand for the entire roster from the captain down.

We've effectively been sold that this team is in it's championship window and even at a best case scenario, we are talking maybe a 4th place finish, and that's a huge if. Reality states they'll win a couple and continue to lose big more often than not, and we'll all sit and listen to how good the room is and how much everyone cares.

Stay the course, Brad. Trust the process, Brad. What a wet noodle.
We are on track for a high pick. Maybe they know this and won't let Tre trade it.

In C19 a slow death to this season might be the best thing for the Flames.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:10 PM   #658
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at the Leafs' success this season, I'm starting to remember something Huntingwhale posted a long time ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I haven't had a chance to watch any of the game yet, but sounds to me like Brodie is back to his old self and Brodano is picking up where they left off. Would this be an accurate statement? I've maintained for the past 2 season that the Flames go as Brodie goes. More so then Gaudreau, Monahan or any other player (other then the goatender), the Flames success is correlated to how Brodie is playing.
Well, this year, the Flames success is correlated to how Brodie is playing for the Flames.

As in, he's not playing for the Flames, and we look slow and hapless.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:16 PM   #659
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames looked terrible plenty of times with Brodie in the lineup...see all playoff debacles and regular season inconsistency
Old 03-04-2021, 10:54 PM   #660
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sutter is back! Blow up postponed!

SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote