Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2021, 12:02 PM   #81
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Nobody with those splits is stifling or killing momentum.

Dumb penalties ... clearly.

Can't finish ... historically.

But no he isn't stifling anything, he and for whatever reason reasonable players he plays with just don't finish them when he's on the ice.
Let's not let Backlund off the hook here as his penalty to put the team down two men was dumber than either of Bennet's penalties and Backlund may surpass Bennett when it comes to taking bad penalties at the worst times.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 12:03 PM   #82
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Hahaha I can’t figure out what point you are trying to make here..?

Points percentage is the only stat that matters.
I agree with you there. And yes its semantics. But someone who stated we are .500 win percentage wise is still correct. Its two different stats. Thats all.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 12:05 PM   #83
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
Your point would make more sense if it was a shoot out loss as OT has always been a thing. But again they are two seperate stats. Like I touched above. If you were tracking a players goals per game over a season you wouldnt count assists as anything. But they're both points. Win percentage often gets blurred with points percentage as the same thing. They are two completely different stats.
Actually OT was not part of the regular season until 83/84 iirc.

It was win, loss or tie.

Which is why the Flames are a .500 team now or 50 years ago. OT/SO losses just replaced tie games.

1-0-1 now.......1 win 1 loss. 3 pts.

1-0-1 then......1 win 1 tie 3pts.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:08 PM   #84
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
and you're one of those people that thinks 0-0-20 (20 pts in 20 games) is the same as 10-10-0 (20 pts in 20 games).
Because it is. You get in based on how many points you have, not wins.
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:10 PM   #85
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Let's not let Backlund off the hook here as his penalty to put the team down two men was dumber than either of Bennet's penalties and Backlund may surpass Bennett when it comes to taking bad penalties at the worst times.
Yeah Backlund has been a culprit too.

I have more time for an inadvertent high stick than a blatant hook to the hands or mid section though (for that game specifically)

Over the last two plus seasons only Rinaldo takes more minor penalties / 60 than Bennett. But he at least is way up the list drawing them too.

2018-19 to date leader board in PIM/60

1. Bennett 1.48/60
2. Hathaway 1.39/60
3. Valimaki 1.00/60 (way less minutes)
4. Frolik 0.94
5. Stone
6. Neal
7. Giordano
8. Kylington
9. Jankowski
10. Tkachuk

Backlund doesn't come in until 11th.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 12:11 PM   #86
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec304 View Post
I was selected to be on the fan wall again for tonight's game. I hope it's a heck of a lot better that Saturday was, Sportsnet sure dropped the ball on that one
I kind of liked that when the Flames scored it showed a bunch of people eating snacks, talking to someone in the other room, checking their phone and yawning. It showed the league that we've been there before, and scoring big goals is business as usual.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:13 PM   #87
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Actually OT was not part of the regular season until 83/84 iirc.

It was win, loss or tie.

Which is why the Flames are a .500 team now or 50 years ago. OT/SO losses just replaced tie games.

1-0-1 now.......1 win 1 loss. 3 pts.

1-0-1 then......1 win 1 tie 3pts.
The teams with the most points get into the playoffs. Simple. The teams with the highest points percentage get in. The Flames Point percentage is currently .750. It means we’re over .500.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:18 PM   #88
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesgod View Post
The teams with the most points get into the playoffs. Simple. The teams with the highest points percentage get in. The Flames Point percentage is currently .750. It means we’re over .500.
In any sport...any.....when you say team X is a .500 team, you arent saying they have 1/2 the points possible, you are referring to their record.

I mean...last year the Blue Jays were over .500 for the first time in years....they had exactly 0 points.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:28 PM   #89
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It’s relative to whatever league they are playing in. No ties in baseball, no points in baseball. It’s strictly based on wins. So of course that’s the metric in baseball.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:29 PM   #90
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Right but a PP takes momentum away for 2 mins, not just a shift. A goal on that PP really changes the game.

Sam Bennett has always taken ridiculous no reason stick infractions in the O zone. You can call them "cheap" or weak penalties but why put your stick there in the first place. I can see a player having it happen on occasion but Bennett continually does it. It's always been a problem for him. He does not learn from it. What does that say about him?
Maybe he should shave off the beard. Perhaps shaving every day will help him develop some good discipline. He can grow it back when his play is beard worthy.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:31 PM   #91
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1351244316807749635
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 12:35 PM   #92
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Yeah the penalties were dumb no doubt - but his play was strong.

I don't think his penalties were due to laziness, rather just a lack if discipline - hopefully something he and the team can get under control, because he's not the only offender (but taking two in one game is definitely unacceptable).

"but at some point he's got to get on the scoresheet for something other than playing stupid or lazy"

Sam Bennett has 8 points in his last 12 games. When he scores, you discredit it. When he doesn't score, you say he needs to score.
Agree. Generally Bennett takes the stick foul penalties but it's not necessarily lazy. I think a lot of time it's mostly discipline and that he's trying to do too much.

I look at Saturday's game.

The first penalty was a bit lazy, and also a really smart play by Edler to trap his stick under his arm second he felt it. Bennett tried to drop his stick but too late, and really shouldn't have put his stick there to start with.

The second penalty wasn't lazy at all though IMO, and was the example of trying to do too much. He was trying to backcheck hard through the neutral zone and make a tough play on the puck. Really it wasn't required because the d-men and other forwards were in good spots, but he was trying to be tenacious on the puck. I actually still don't love the call on that one, Bennett had got to level with Pettersson and both of them were kind of battling. Kind of miss the battles like that.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 12:43 PM   #93
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This ought to be a much more competitive game. Looks like Demko is starting, so the Flames will face a different test in net. Hopefully they can get to him early before he establishes his confidence.

Last game the defence were noticeable in joining the rush and moving into the slot in the offensive zone. This is great to see and an enjoyable style to watch.

I'll have my eye on Lindholm as he had at least 2 great chances last game and looks to be thriving in the 1C/PP flank role that he's been given. Mangiapane looks like a player who is absolutely ready to break out.

Finally, Leivo has not been able to do much on the Monahan line so far. I preferred Simon in that spot, but it has only been 2 games, so no need to make a change just yet. He's made some good passes on the rush that took skill, so hopefully he just needs something to go right and he can start contributing to the scoresheet.

The Canucks may have Miller back tonight and that is a huge addition. That will slot a few players back down to lines where they are better suited and will make the top line a lot more dangerous. Hopefully the Flames will be more disciplined and play a strong 5v5 game where they carry the play.

Really excited for this one!
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:43 PM   #94
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
and you're one of those people that thinks 0-0-20 (20 pts in 20 games) is the same as 10-10-0 (20 pts in 20 games).
Well, either way, it's 20 pts and you're ahead of EDM in the standings, so...
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 12:49 PM   #95
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I kind of liked that when the Flames scored it showed a bunch of people eating snacks, talking to someone in the other room, checking their phone and yawning. It showed the league that we've been there before, and scoring big goals is business as usual.
Yeah that was brutal. I wish they'd cut to us live. I was the one holding up my dog in that clip and I'm pretty sure that footage was from the commercial break prior to the goal because my dog wasn't even in the room when we scored. Damn Sportsnet.
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:58 PM   #96
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
To me it's like a tie. The NHL is insisting on solving games so they role out three on three and a shoot out, but for the losing team it's a tie.

So on the old rules the Flames would have a win and a tie and be above .500.

If you're going to count OTL as ties, then you havr to count OTW as ties too.

But yes, under the old rules, the flames would be above .500 and undefeated. But we were defeated, and as fans we felt the disappointment of the loss.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:02 PM   #97
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't underestimate the Canucks, as they will be more focused this game, and with the services of JT Miller. You can't count on Petterson and Hughes having two bad games in a row.

Having said that, if the Flames play like they did last game, Canucks have no chance. Flames were relentless in all zones.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:05 PM   #98
KamFongAsChinHo
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Lost in all this discussion is the fact that since President Trump's second impeachment, the Flames have yet to trail at any time in regulation.

Causation or correlation?

You decide.
KamFongAsChinHo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KamFongAsChinHo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 01:07 PM   #99
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamFongAsChinHo View Post
Lost in all this discussion is the fact that since President Trump's second impeachment, the Flames have yet to trail at any time in regulation.

Causation or correlation?

You decide.
Neither
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:09 PM   #100
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I swear you go out of your way to point this out every chance you get lol. We get it, you think it's an OT loss is a loss.

Mathematically, it's a tie, so the whole "it's not over .500" argument is a semantics argument, not a mathematical one, as I don't see how you can argue your point from a mathematical standpoint.
Well, I do apologize if it bothers you. My point was, that I would like the flames to win more than half their games, and if the Flames win tonight, this will be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
So the 0.500 has to do with fun and feeling? This is akin to giving ricardo's grit index credence.

In sports talk, 0.500 is accumulating 50% of the points you could have achieved.
In sports talk, .500 isn't about "points" or the standings". Heck in hockey, a .500 points percentage is somrthing a 26th or 27th place team has - that is a meaningless metric.

Winning half your games is a meaningful metric. Not to the standings - but to the level a team is playing at.

Us fans don't tune in rooting for their team to get an OTL.

Your 96 pt playoff snake has more meaning to the standings. pts% matters in the standings. But us fans are watching because of our emotional connection to the game, and winning is part of that. Satisfaction isn't about getting half your points.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 01-18-2021 at 01:11 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote