Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #241
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Ryan will be 34 next season. I could see a 1-year or 2-year deal at $2M (would prefer 1)
Yeah he's 34 but with less wear on the tires, due to the unusual nature of his career path. 1-2 year deal I think is exactly right.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:18 PM   #242
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I also could see Ryan re-signing here, at a cheaper contract rate going forward. It's a good fit for player/team here.
I think that would be a mistake. Perfect time to get an asset back without spending anything but money to acquire him.
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #243
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah he's 34 but with less wear on the tires, due to the unusual nature of his career path. 1-2 year deal I think is exactly right.
This is an excerpt from my FlamesNation piece, including some of what Doc said to me a few weeks ago:

Quote:
But despite his not-insignificant $3.1 million salary through 2021 and his relatively advanced age, the Flames would do well to keep Derek Ryan in the fold, even past his current contract’s expiry date. He has produced and defended well in every situation with a variety of linemates, from Garnet Hathaway and Andrew Mangiapane to Milan Lucic and Dillon Dube.

And much like teammate Mark Giordano, whose Norris Trophy at age 35 came at the peak of an unusual career path of his own, Ryan’s advanced age comes with a relatively light body of work at the NHL level.

“I know my age seems like I’m old, but I feel like I’m a ‘low mileage’ player at this point,” said Ryan. “I didn’t start playing in the NHL until I was 29, so my body hasn’t gone through the grind for as long as most guys who are my age. I played four years in Canadian university playing 28 games a year. I played four years [of] pro in Europe playing 50 games a year.

“All of these games were far less physical and the travel was much less demanding, so I feel like I haven’t been worn down as much as others my age have,” he added. “I feel like I have many years ahead of me still!”

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 12:20 PM   #244
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

So about the re-signings, and the statements saying Ryan should be traded this off season (baffling to me), a good chunk of the roster is set for next year.

Obviously you have Brodie and Hamonic up, and I do not see Hamonic returning. His money comes off, and even if they give Brodie a million more, you have 2.8 in extra room there

Forbort and Gustafson are also UFA, but I don’t see additional dollars needed there, whether they return or are replaced.

The one guy up for a notable adjustment would be Mangiapane

Also Talbot may want a bit more money if he has a good playoff

I basically don’t see the urgency that some posters do to move Ryan
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 12:22 PM   #245
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was thinking Ryan is a UFA, but he has another year. I think you have to let the contract play out and then see where he's at after next season. Then a 1-year deal as a max, and $2M or less.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:23 PM   #246
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesgod View Post
I think that would be a mistake. Perfect time to get an asset back without spending anything but money to acquire him.
The only way you trade him is if the Flames aren't heading to the playoffs. And that better not be the case.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 12:25 PM   #247
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

You don't trade guys just because they're old. This ain't the 2015 Flames anymore. The contributions of Ryan vastly outweigh the value of a 4th-rounder that some team might pay for him. Ryan might be this team's Matt Cullen. IMO he plays a style that could keep him effective until he's 40. Obviously you don't want to sign him until then right now but there's absolutely nothing wrong with keeping an effective vet in the fold.

IMO you keep Ryan, and if he's still this good next year, you give him another year or two at $1.75-2.5.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 12:25 PM   #248
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesgod View Post
To me, Ryan is one of those instances where the player is worth much more to the team's roster than what he would return in a trade. In his own, a low 2nd round pick is the absolute best I suspect that Tre would get back for him. More likely a 3rd.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 12:29 PM   #249
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Bennett (if he does) emerge as a 3rd line centre does not give the Flames an excuse to then make their team worse.

Having 4 centres that you can roll and have them all be effective? That’s how you win championships.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:31 PM   #250
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've made the comparison before, but Ryan is this team's Stephane Yelle - another guy who played on the 4th line, but had more importance to the team than a "4th liner".
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 12:40 PM   #251
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting fact about Derek Ryan: one of his teammates for his entire NHL career has been Sam Bennett.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:40 PM   #252
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will preface this by saying that I also hope that the Flames don't trade Ryan. I think he has been great - outside of the first couple of months when he was first signed and playing in Calgary.

However, who knows what falls into Treliving's lap this off-season - both in the UFA market and through trades. I am not opposed to trading any single player on this roster if it means an upgrade, though I would be sad to see some go as well.

Brodie may not be re-signing in Calgary, Hamonic looks like he won't be returning (which is a detriment to the room and the community for sure, but probably a good on-ice decision IMO). Flames need to address the blue-line and hopefully acquire another impact player up front.

Flames may need to clear up some cap room to get everything done that they need. It is easy to say that Lucic should go, but the Flames may need to trade a good player on a good (or at least fair) cap hit to get a taker in order to clear enough salary.

This could be an off-season with 'tough decisions' - more so than in the last few seasons. Replacing Brodie might cost more in dollars than Brodie is currently making, for instance. We don't know what Gustafsson or even Forbort will be demanding (or even if they prefer to stay in Calgary).

There is the Taylor Hall rumours of interest. There may be an opportunity given the issues with this pandemic and the economic outlook as a consequence, and I am sure there are some teams and some owners that have been more affected by it than others, and maybe they want to cut salary.

This is assuredly going to be the most interesting off-season for the whole league. A guy like Ryan - a useful and versatile 2-way centre on a very fair cap hit - might end up being a casualty on the Flames. I hope not, but I also hope that the Flames do make good moves this off-season to improve, especially if they would like to keep Gaudreau while they are at it.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:41 PM   #253
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Interesting fact about Derek Ryan: one of his teammates for his entire NHL career has been Sam Bennett.
Wait what? Did Bennett have a stint in Carolina that I don't know about?

Old 08-09-2020, 12:46 PM   #254
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I finally got you talking about Bennett!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 12:49 PM   #255
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I was just about to post the same thing.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:17 PM   #256
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only way you trade Ryan before next season is if it's a cap clearing trade in order to add a big piece somewhere else on the roster. For instance if you make a move to get another top 6 C that is at Backlund/Monahan's level or better then you might need to move Ryan in order to have cap space to ice an NHL level defense and also add a goalie. Then you can run a young and cheap 4th line C behind Monahan/Backlund/newly acquired C.

As for re-signing him, he's still got a year left on his deal, obviously you wait to see how that season goes before making any decision there. He's not a player you should be looking to extend a year early.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:28 PM   #257
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Although English not being my native language I am pretty sure Ryan is not pronounced Bennett. I am probably wrong, since I see the name Ryan being posted a lot in this thread about the 18-year old with the beard.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:41 PM   #258
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajazz View Post
Although English not being my native language I am pretty sure Ryan is not pronounced Bennett. I am probably wrong, since I see the name Ryan being posted a lot in this thread about the 18-year old with the beard.
Not sure what the problem is as Sam’s ice time and time at centre is influenced by how much ice time and the role Ryan serves
Certainly seems relevant
Old 08-09-2020, 01:50 PM   #259
Plaedo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure what the problem is as Sam’s ice time and time at centre is influenced by how much ice time and the role Ryan serves
Certainly seems relevant
It actually seems to me that Playoff Sam Bennett yields to no one.
Plaedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #260
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
To me, Ryan is one of those instances where the player is worth much more to the team's roster than what he would return in a trade. In his own, a low 2nd round pick is the absolute best I suspect that Tre would get back for him. More likely a 3rd.
Disagree, I’d like to use that money to go after Pietrangelo or another right shot D man. However, I also like moving Gaudreau for a package like 8th overall plus Cozens or something. Kind of a tough time to speculate though. If the flames make a run in these playoffs, it might change my mind. I don’t like losing assets for nothing though. Certain acceptions though. For me Ryan isn’t it.
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
irrational hate , sammy benzo