Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #3181
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I also played there earlier today and agree. The greens are just weird. Not shaggy but play like they are. And almost a dry or sandy surface on them but they are not brown. The grass is green, just really really weird to put on.
They might have top dressed them, and now aren't mowing due to the heat, but they were god awful slow. I had a couple of putts from above the hole that didn't make it down, and at Speargrass, they would have been off the front of the green. In any case, another example of stellar management by Windmill, and further evidence to avoid all their facilities.

To top it off, it was the slowest round of my year as well. 4:25, and it felt like forever. The layout doesn't really help with that either though.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:52 PM   #3182
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Update, I still hate my custom clubs.

Much buyers remorse.
Old Yeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:42 PM   #3183
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post

Much buyers remorse.
How long have you had them? What's going on with them? What's different about them than your last set (lie, shaft, length)?
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:29 PM   #3184
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks to everyone that recommended The Quarry in Edmonton for my round. I played on Thursday and it was fantastic. It is a pretty spectacular course especially when I only payed $70 including cart. I tend to play mostly courses which are generally heavily treed so playing a wide open course like Quarry was an interesting change. I was hitting the ball pretty poorly and that course really beat me up as it plays pretty long and has a lot of challenging shots that need to be made. Overall a great experience though.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 07:29 AM   #3185
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Finally received my new irons after going for a fitting at Modern Golf.

I played Canyon Meadows last week with my old irons and shot an 82... new irons yesterday.... 101.

I haven't shot over 100 in years, absolutely nothing worked, I couldn't hit anything and even the odd good shot just felt ... not good.

I have the worst buyers remorse right now.
I feel you. This was me in early June. Thought I made a $1500 mistake, which was extremely disappointing almost to the point where I wasn't looking forward to going to the course.

It wasn't until I took old set and new set to the range and worked through it. New set was 1/4" shorter than old set so needed to stand slightly closer to the ball. Felt like I was standing on top of the ball for a while, but am used to it now.

Have you been back to Modern Golf since you got the irons?
Old 08-12-2020, 11:55 AM   #3186
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
How long have you had them? What's going on with them? What's different about them than your last set (lie, shaft, length)?
Honestly I'm not entirely sure.. I went from 15 year old Callaway Bertha irons to Titleist T200s.

I'm assuming there's some slight differences, but I have a pretty standard swing path according to the guy who fit me. I think a lot of it is that I've got a pretty easy swing and I know I hit these irons further, but my brain wants me to swing harder to do it when I know I don't have to.

Right now they just don't feel as good even on a pure hit. It boils down to needing more practice and some general ignorance/impatience as I basically thought I was good enough to pick 'em up and gain 10-15 yards and that would be that. Hell I bought these to lose strokes, not gain 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I feel you. This was me in early June. Thought I made a $1500 mistake, which was extremely disappointing almost to the point where I wasn't looking forward to going to the course.

It wasn't until I took old set and new set to the range and worked through it. New set was 1/4" shorter than old set so needed to stand slightly closer to the ball. Felt like I was standing on top of the ball for a while, but am used to it now.

Have you been back to Modern Golf since you got the irons?
Thanks, partly I was looking for some commiseration so that helps... also ranting to you guys is more therapeutic than my wife.

I did bring my old ones to the range initially, but that was just trying to figure the difference in yardages distance new vs old... I never really compared them otherwise so I'll head out and try that today.

No I haven't been back to Modern Golf... why? Did you after you got your new irons?
Old 08-12-2020, 01:07 PM   #3187
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

No I haven't been back to Modern Golf... why? Did you after you got your new irons?
I would go back. I’d suspect they have an interest in your customer satisfaction. Let them have a look and watch you hit a few. Probably tell rather quickly if anything fundamentally incorrect or if its just growing pains with the new clubs.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:07 PM   #3188
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah I probably will... today was the WORST...RANGE SESSION...EVER.

I'm starting to really dread picking up the clubs again and that ain't right.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:17 PM   #3189
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally got my game in decent shape. 7 rounds this month including an 80 last week. Was +2 standing on the 15th tee and screwed it up, of course!!
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:49 PM   #3190
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I got fit at Club Champion in Palm Desert and bought through Lakeside in Chestermere. Old set was 710 AP2s and went to P790s. Didn't make sense to order from US supplier with the exchange rate.

When I was ready to throw new irons in the dumpster, I had them checked (lie, length, swingweight) by a friend who had all the gear. Had to adjust the lie on a couple clubs but most were built to the specs they are ordered. Took close to 15 rounds to really get used to the new irons.

I'd go back to Modern Golf. Get them to check the specs. Especially lie, something doesn't sound right.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:19 AM   #3191
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Still playing with my franken-clubs. The PING G15 driver is just as good as any of the latest offerings as far as I can tell. Found a nearly new Callaway 60* wedge on kijiji from 2007 for $25. Was a big spend for me this year.

I might sell my iBlades I like the PING Eyes so much.

Found a new favourite course in the Montreal area: Le Champetre. Amazing conditions, feels like a private course in the Southern US. Played four times in the past month.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:12 AM   #3192
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Much buyers remorse.
Its partly because fitting is pretty much a scam. Unless you are playing all the time and have a grooved swing, the minuscule corrections made in fitting is not going to help your game. People that play once or twice a week have so many imperfections in their swing that change from session-to-session, whether it be stance, spine angle, take away, or swing speed, that finding a consistent point of contact in the middle of the club face is virtually impossible. Club fitting is designed to reduce your consistent impact point on the club face one point to another. If you're hitting all over the club face all the mechanical changes in club component is not going to amount to a hill of beans. All you're doing is moving your strike dispersion to a different part of the club face. You're still missing the sweet spot, just in a different spot.

Seriously, clubs are designed so they are playable by 95% of players. Even without proper posture and spine angle clubs off the rack fit 95% of people. Unless you are a genetic freak with unusually long arms, or a really compact torso, clubs off the rack should be playable and work for you. When I say playable I mean achieve pretty consistent scoring results. This is what most players should be searching for because their strikes are all over the club face (mis-hits). Most clubs today are designed to correct for those mis-hits.

That may also be part of the problem. You may have purchased too much club for your game. If you just bought some blades, and you aren't hitting a thousand balls a week (minimum) you probably bought too much club. Most players should be in some sort of game improvement club until they can hit a consistent dime sized mark on impact tape. Once you achieve this, then start looking at the clubs that allow for you to learn to work the ball.

I don't know how many players I have worked with that spent money on equipment that is not set up for their game. I have a close friend who burns through equipment left and right. Goes and gets fitted every six months and thinks the next piece of equipment is going to fix his game. Every time he does that I pull out the impact tape and do a range session with him His strike dispersion remains the same regardless of fitting. His epiphany came when he finally took my advice and decided to go after the game improvement clubs (some really nice Mizuno JPXs). He still did the fitting, but ended up playing demos (same JPXs) for a month while he waited for his "custom" clubs to come in. He played some of his best golf and struck the ball the best he has in years on those standard-standard clubs. His "customs" arrive and his game goes to #### again. It ain't the arrow, its the archer.

The bright side about this is that your body will adapt to the fitted the clubs. Your brain will slowly alter your swing to find some consistency in the striking. Your brain is correcting the tolerances the fitter did, and tweaking your swing to where the standard-standard was. Unless you are going to the range and hitting a grand a week, give it a few months and you'll get back to where you were.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:13 PM   #3193
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played Winston today. By far in the best shape of any course I've played this year. Greens were pure and very lush fairways.

Sadly, they were punching the greens behind us. Might want to wait until September for the greens to recover.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:37 PM   #3194
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Took us 5 hours to play this afternoon. Even with a marshall he couldn't speed things up. He said something to the effective there was too many high handicap golfers on the course and all groups were slow.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:13 PM   #3195
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Its partly because fitting is pretty much a scam. Unless you are playing all the time and have a grooved swing, the minuscule corrections made in fitting is not going to help your game. People that play once or twice a week have so many imperfections in their swing that change from session-to-session, whether it be stance, spine angle, take away, or swing speed, that finding a consistent point of contact in the middle of the club face is virtually impossible. Club fitting is designed to reduce your consistent impact point on the club face one point to another. If you're hitting all over the club face all the mechanical changes in club component is not going to amount to a hill of beans. All you're doing is moving your strike dispersion to a different part of the club face. You're still missing the sweet spot, just in a different spot.

Seriously, clubs are designed so they are playable by 95% of players. Even without proper posture and spine angle clubs off the rack fit 95% of people. Unless you are a genetic freak with unusually long arms, or a really compact torso, clubs off the rack should be playable and work for you. When I say playable I mean achieve pretty consistent scoring results. This is what most players should be searching for because their strikes are all over the club face (mis-hits). Most clubs today are designed to correct for those mis-hits.

That may also be part of the problem. You may have purchased too much club for your game. If you just bought some blades, and you aren't hitting a thousand balls a week (minimum) you probably bought too much club. Most players should be in some sort of game improvement club until they can hit a consistent dime sized mark on impact tape. Once you achieve this, then start looking at the clubs that allow for you to learn to work the ball.

I don't know how many players I have worked with that spent money on equipment that is not set up for their game. I have a close friend who burns through equipment left and right. Goes and gets fitted every six months and thinks the next piece of equipment is going to fix his game. Every time he does that I pull out the impact tape and do a range session with him His strike dispersion remains the same regardless of fitting. His epiphany came when he finally took my advice and decided to go after the game improvement clubs (some really nice Mizuno JPXs). He still did the fitting, but ended up playing demos (same JPXs) for a month while he waited for his "custom" clubs to come in. He played some of his best golf and struck the ball the best he has in years on those standard-standard clubs. His "customs" arrive and his game goes to #### again. It ain't the arrow, its the archer.

The bright side about this is that your body will adapt to the fitted the clubs. Your brain will slowly alter your swing to find some consistency in the striking. Your brain is correcting the tolerances the fitter did, and tweaking your swing to where the standard-standard was. Unless you are going to the range and hitting a grand a week, give it a few months and you'll get back to where you were.
Agree with everything above.

Played 36 on Sunday at the same course. Morning round was 80 (had an eagle putt, that I turned into a par on 18)...afternoon round was a 96. The mechanical changes I'm making trying to lose my early extension and wrist flip would make customs irrelevant. I'm concentrating on strike and launch angle from my swing. I find the Top Tracer equipped driving range that tracks dispersion/launch angle to be amazing for this.

I do have a set of titleist blades I got off a second hand site for $500 just to try them out. They feel so great.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:41 PM   #3196
Young Fledge
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I never post here but am an avid golfer. I have to 100% agree with the "fitting is bs" thing.

I was a 13 handicap golfer who hit my buddies blades at the range one day (Mizuno MP-69). I just loved the feel and looks. Despite being a 13 handicap and not an outstanding golfer, I went ahead and got Mizuno MP-18 blades two years ago. BEST. DECISION. OF MY LIFE.

Despite every fitter saying I was getting better numbers with other irons (I had Taylormade M2 Tour irons at the time), I didn't listen and went with the blades. Zero regrets, and I have been as low as a 6 handicap since I made the switch (Currently 8 due to back issues).

When it comes to fitting, just go try some stuff and whatever YOU like the feel and look of, that's what you should get. Confidence and acceptance of a new iron is the most important thing in my opinion. I knew with these blades I had to get better at hitting the middle of the face... and I loved them so much that I made myself learn to hit the centre of the face. So whereas I am hitting blades that I "shouldn't be hitting", I love to practice and have gotten much better. You got Titleist game improvement irons, hate them, and likely don't want to learn to get better with them... so who won? The person that got "fitted" or the guy who just picked what he liked the look and feel of?

Long rant, I know... but I agree fitting is bull####. Hit a few, pick what you like.
Young Fledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:54 PM   #3197
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some of you might be interested in this message board on golf.

It's pretty much for golf sickos, but lots of good stuff on there. No Laying Up's content is fantastic too.

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/

There is also a sub-thread for Alberta golfers. We occasionally get together for rounds.

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/roll...berta/22512/70
Old 08-16-2020, 11:01 PM   #3198
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Getting fit to chase numbers on a simulator is silly.

Not getting fit for length and lie is equally silly, especially since it's free when buying a set off the rack.

Sure most sets are built for the 'average golfer'. Settling for that is like buying a size 10 skate, since that's the average size.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:06 AM   #3199
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Fledge View Post
I never post here but am an avid golfer. I have to 100% agree with the "fitting is bs" thing.

I was a 13 handicap golfer who hit my buddies blades at the range one day (Mizuno MP-69). I just loved the feel and looks. Despite being a 13 handicap and not an outstanding golfer, I went ahead and got Mizuno MP-18 blades two years ago. BEST. DECISION. OF MY LIFE.

Despite every fitter saying I was getting better numbers with other irons (I had Taylormade M2 Tour irons at the time), I didn't listen and went with the blades. Zero regrets, and I have been as low as a 6 handicap since I made the switch (Currently 8 due to back issues).

When it comes to fitting, just go try some stuff and whatever YOU like the feel and look of, that's what you should get. Confidence and acceptance of a new iron is the most important thing in my opinion. I knew with these blades I had to get better at hitting the middle of the face... and I loved them so much that I made myself learn to hit the centre of the face. So whereas I am hitting blades that I "shouldn't be hitting", I love to practice and have gotten much better. You got Titleist game improvement irons, hate them, and likely don't want to learn to get better with them... so who won? The person that got "fitted" or the guy who just picked what he liked the look and feel of?

Long rant, I know... but I agree fitting is bull####. Hit a few, pick what you like.
Nice to hear someone has successfully made a blade switch. My opinion was the same when I got the blades..."I'll learn to hit them". Its kinda what happened, now I have to concentrate on where I hit them on the face, not just horizontally but vertically as well.

The funny thing is all that goes out the window when it's a driver...give me the tech there and a bigger sweet spot. Ha. Picked up a Cobra F9 driver online clearance and absolutely love it.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:17 AM   #3200
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Took us 5 hours to play this afternoon. Even with a marshall he couldn't speed things up. He said something to the effective there was too many high handicap golfers on the course and all groups were slow.
That’s brutal. 5 hours in the blazing sun would be tough on my game for sure.

I don’t get it though. High handicap or not, people should be pressing to maintain a good pace? That just sounds torturous!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow