Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-06-2020, 08:25 PM   #1
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Looking for a Family Law Lawyer

Hey All,

I'm looking for an ace family law lawyer. I spent a fortune to get a separation agreement completed between myself and my ex wife.

According to my lawyer I essentially have no recourse to enforce the agreement and there is no penalties to her breaking the agreement. Allegedly she will get a fine that will be dwarfed by my legal fees, and I will get to see my son, but no guarantee she won't just do it again.

I'm being extorted where I'm not allowed to speak to, or see my son unless I give her money.

It's been two months since I've seen, or spoken to my son (4 years old). I've never missed a child support payment, a spousal support payment or a daycare payment (I pay 100% of daycare).

I'm at a complete loss and my lawyer has advised me that there is no point fighting any of this. Of course none of this was brought up when he was drafting the agreement and I was making huge concessions to get shared custody. He also states that I should continue to follow the agreement.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Is extortion not illegal? Am I the only one disgusted that someone would use their child as a pawn in this way? Why am I struggling to get by to follow a one way agreement?
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:39 PM   #2
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://www.lawsociety.ab.ca/public/...erral-request/
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 08:44 PM   #3
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Hey All,

I'm looking for an ace family law lawyer. I spent a fortune to get a separation agreement completed between myself and my ex wife.

According to my lawyer I essentially have no recourse to enforce the agreement and there is no penalties to her breaking the agreement. Allegedly she will get a fine that will be dwarfed by my legal fees, and I will get to see my son, but no guarantee she won't just do it again.

I'm being extorted where I'm not allowed to speak to, or see my son unless I give her money.

It's been two months since I've seen, or spoken to my son (4 years old). I've never missed a child support payment, a spousal support payment or a daycare payment (I pay 100% of daycare).

I'm at a complete loss and my lawyer has advised me that there is no point fighting any of this. Of course none of this was brought up when he was drafting the agreement and I was making huge concessions to get shared custody. He also states that I should continue to follow the agreement.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Is extortion not illegal? Am I the only one disgusted that someone would use their child as a pawn in this way? Why am I struggling to get by to follow a one way agreement?
Definitely worth having a second legal opinion.

Are you in BC or Alberta?
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:47 PM   #4
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm a law talking guy.

Sorry for what you are going through.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:24 PM   #5
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Definitely worth having a second legal opinion.

Are you in BC or Alberta?
I live in Sherwood Park, AB but my separation was done in BC
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:21 PM   #6
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely get a second opinion and document everything!
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:17 PM   #7
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Hey All,

Contact Barbara Widdowson. She will tell you where you stand and if you have room to move your wife's lawyer will crap their pants if they have to deal with her.

https://wkfamilylawyers.com/our-team/widdowson/
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to prarieboy For This Useful Post: