Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-27-2019, 10:03 AM   #61
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't seem to understand how some people end up close to spats in these situations and yet always say they didn't do anything to escalate it. Maybe somehow the way some people are responding are setting these guys off? It's like the existence of these people freak out a ton of people with vivid imaginations or something. They're just people.

I run into these types of people all the time near the belt line by Sheldon Chumir (used to live in the area and I visit the area on a regular basis) and I always say something like, "Sorry, don't smoke. Sorry, no change." and I've never had much more of an issue other than the occasional guy yelling, "I know you're lying" or something like that. One guy that berated me actually ran away when I said, "No I'm not, but how about I go into Mac's here and buy you a coffee?". When I see them on the street, I don't immediately look away either, I often try to look at them, smile and nod as I pass buy. I found at times living in the belt line that treating these people as invisible would on occasion set them off. Quite a few of them mention they just want to be treated as human rather than sub-human when I chat with them.

I've also been in a situation where another regular panhandler defended me when another panhandler guy somehow flipped out at me. The guy that flipped out at me immediately apologized to me (I think I gave the guy who defended me a few cigs one time I saw him). It was kind of a weird and funny situation TBH.

I remember there was a panhandler in the Chinook Mall pedestrian bridge who was slightly more confrontational than normal, but it wasn't more than than two guys kinda walking in the same direction as me and moreso begging for change. I was perhaps annoyed but not worried, but my wife was totally freaked out. Similar things have happened in the +15, but those guys generally seem a little less annoyed when ignored.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:19 AM   #62
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

When I worked downtown there were tons of panhandlers and or cigarette jockys. I decided to take a more aggressive stance.

When I would be outside having a smoke. A person would eyeball me and start walking towards me, and I'd blurt out "Hey Buddy do you have a smoke I can bum off of you". They'd get a confused look on their face and either say "You're already smoking one" or walk off. If they bought up the first part, I'd answer "Its my last one", or "I wanted to know how annoying what you're doing is"

If they panhandled for money I'd tell him that I have some odd jobs around my property that need work and I'd give him or her x-dollars to clean out my garage. If they accepted I'd give money because they were willing to work. If they said "I just want some change man". I'd tell them I only pay money for jobs done.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 10:30 AM   #63
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
People like this need a one way ticket to the Yukon
Tickets to Phoenix are cheaper.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:31 AM   #64
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I don't seem to understand how some people end up close to spats in these situations and yet always say they didn't do anything to escalate it. Maybe somehow the way some people are responding are setting these guys off? It's like the existence of these people freak out a ton of people with vivid imaginations or something. They're just people.

I run into these types of people all the time near the belt line by Sheldon Chumir (used to live in the area and I visit the area on a regular basis) and I always say something like, "Sorry, don't smoke. Sorry, no change." and I've never had much more of an issue other than the occasional guy yelling, "I know you're lying" or something like that. One guy that berated me actually ran away when I said, "No I'm not, but how about I go into Mac's here and buy you a coffee?". When I see them on the street, I don't immediately look away either, I often try to look at them, smile and nod as I pass buy. I found at times living in the belt line that treating these people as invisible would on occasion set them off. Quite a few of them mention they just want to be treated as human rather than sub-human when I chat with them.

I've also been in a situation where another regular panhandler defended me when another panhandler guy somehow flipped out at me. The guy that flipped out at me immediately apologized to me (I think I gave the guy who defended me a few cigs one time I saw him). It was kind of a weird and funny situation TBH.

I remember there was a panhandler in the Chinook Mall pedestrian bridge who was slightly more confrontational than normal, but it wasn't more than than two guys kinda walking in the same direction as me and moreso begging for change. I was perhaps annoyed but not worried, but my wife was totally freaked out. Similar things have happened in the +15, but those guys generally seem a little less annoyed when ignored.
I see panhandlers every day never a problem I politely say no and if thats enough to provoke someone into throwing a rock at your head thats not normal. Sometimes people with mental health issues can turn on you for the slightest things and it is outside of your control. If I was dead or incapacitated it wouldnt be a thread here anyhow.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
LouCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #65
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
That whole area has become pretty sketchy in the last decade. Was there at lunch today and there were quite a few people panhandling and harassing people. The mini mall with Red Lobster has a downstairs area that is full of garbage and damaged property.
I've worked near Chinook for almost 10 years, and it's gotten much worse in the last couple years.

Our office has been broken into more times in the last two years than it was in the 15 years previously. We used to shake our head at how often our office in Houston got robbed, but now we're on par.

I stopped taking the overpass over Macleod because I got tired of maneuvering my bike around all the broken glass, passed out vagrants, and human feces.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 08-27-2019 at 11:07 AM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:04 PM   #66
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I've worked near Chinook for almost 10 years, and it's gotten much worse in the last couple years.

Our office has been broken into more times in the last two years than it was in the 15 years previously. We used to shake our head at how often our office in Houston got robbed, but now we're on par.

I stopped taking the overpass over Macleod because I got tired of maneuvering my bike around all the broken glass, passed out vagrants, and human feces.
The new overpass, or the old one?
I'd be surprised if Cadillac Fairview isn't using private security to police the new one.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:05 PM   #67
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I'd be surprised if Cadillac Fairview isn't using private security to police the new one.
I assume the old one. Or the hell-hole underpass.

The new one is very nice and I’m not sure you can ride your bike in it.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:06 PM   #68
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The old one was always a bit of a hellhole. Not surprised to hear that it has gotten worse.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:16 PM   #69
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

About 6 months ago, some transient dude asked to have my Globefish takeout sushi in the new overpass as I was walking back to my car.

When I said no, and kept walking wide around him, he followed me for a bit but then turned around. I was ready to throw down to protect my Iginla roll.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:17 PM   #70
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

The new one is very nice and I’m not sure you can ride your bike in it.
If it was that one then he wouldnt be here to tell us about it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 12:23 PM   #71
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
If it was that one then he wouldnt be here to tell us about it.
I made it through that underpass twice and lived to tell the tale!
Old 08-27-2019, 12:55 PM   #72
AnonymousStranger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You guys just haven't perfected mean mugging yet. Whenever I walk by homeless people, I always make sure to look pissed off about something and I never get accosted. I'm a pretty average built man as well (6', 190lbs) so I'm pretty sure my facial expression is what's helping me the most in these situations.
AnonymousStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:58 PM   #73
Jackpot_Smooth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousStranger View Post
You guys just haven't perfected mean mugging yet. Whenever I walk by homeless people, I always make sure to look pissed off about something and I never get accosted. I'm a pretty average built man as well (6', 190lbs) so I'm pretty sure my facial expression is what's helping me the most in these situations.
I also use this technique while shopping at Superstore when i see the credit card peddlers close by.
Jackpot_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jackpot_Smooth For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 01:07 PM   #74
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousStranger View Post
I'm pretty much the same size, and when I feel threatened, I just posture up, walk fast, and have an angry scowl on my face (my wife calls it mean muggin' too!) No vagrant ever gets in the way or asks for anything. Then again I live in Edmonton, so this is constant game face whenever leaving your own home.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 04:41 PM   #75
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCypher View Post
I see panhandlers every day never a problem I politely say no and if thats enough to provoke someone into throwing a rock at your head thats not normal. Sometimes people with mental health issues can turn on you for the slightest things and it is outside of your control. If I was dead or incapacitated it wouldnt be a thread here anyhow.
That's fair. I somehow missed the rock throwing part, that's my bad. Glad to hear you weren't injured.

Beyond panhandlers, some people are straight up crazy though. That jackass that wants to start a fist fight over some perceived wronging while driving. The individual that starts screaming at cashiers at fast food or store. The dude that starts fights for fun after a few drinks... some people are just scary confrontational in general. God forbid some of us have to involve ourselves in an altercation to protect ourselves. I think some of us have some pent up frustrations too and would really go ape #### and wreck a dude who starts a fight. I know I would if someone made me feel my kid was unsafe. If it's just me though, I'd probably just ignore it and walk away.

Last edited by DoubleF; 08-27-2019 at 04:45 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:13 AM   #76
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Last I walked by, they've closed that old thing up. Man, it was always good for a novelty laugh.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:45 AM   #77
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Last I walked by, they've closed that old thing up. Man, it was always good for a novelty laugh.

Speaking of sketchy, the underpass by Chinook Station that goes under Glenmore is still open.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:04 AM   #78
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Speaking of sketchy, the underpass by Chinook Station that goes under Glenmore is still open.
There's another one? Oh man.

It's not a tunnel, though, is it?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:36 AM   #79
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There's another one? Oh man.

It's not a tunnel, though, is it?
No, it's a ramp up to the underside of the Glenmore overpass above the train tracks.
I've never walked through that one. Definitely don't think I would.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:05 AM   #80
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I can only assume they finally found one too many bodies.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote