Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #1
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:
Default Cameras Allowed at the Dome?

Did some digging and could only find a 5+ year old thread. A buddy of mine is coming to the game tonight, and wants to bring his DSLR camera. We can't find anything on the Flames site that talks about cameras, and I know the signs on the doors are pretty vague as well.

If anybody knows anything definite, please let me know.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Did some digging and could only find a 5+ year old thread. A buddy of mine is coming to the game tonight, and wants to bring his DSLR camera. We can't find anything on the Flames site that talks about cameras, and I know the signs on the doors are pretty vague as well.

If anybody knows anything definite, please let me know.
I have known people who have walked in with a DSLR no problem... Provided he doesn't have a professional telescopic lens. I sat next to someone at a game early January with a DSLR, they were taking pictures and nobody ever came and said anything

Best to call the dome and ask.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STeeLy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #3
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the camera is deemed "professional", Saddledome staff will "confiscate" it and store it until the end of the game. The criteria for evaluation is "if it looks professional, it is professional", that's what I was explained. If it's important for your friend, tell him to hide it under his coat and take the lens off. He can put it back on while in the seats. Unless it is a really long and noticeable zoom, chances are he will be fine taking pics from his seat without being reprimanded.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the rule is the lens can't be longer than your thumb, or something stupid like that. You can't bring in something like an 18mm-200mm lens.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

The standard for most events/facilities is no "professional" cameras, which typically means "anything with a detachable lens". But having said that... I've seen SLRs in the dome before, so it just comes down to what the events folks you encounter choose to enforce.

This is in no way a definitive answer, but I'd probably opt to leave the SLR at home, point & shoot cameras tend to draw much less attention anyways, and they fall within the "rules" as far as I know them.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

The theory in the previous threads on this topic have no been a lens wider than your hand or some such arbitrary measurment. SLRs with the standard kit lenses don't get looked at and you see many of them around. If he tries to bring his 300mm lens, he'll probably get stopped. I have brought in various compact(ish) ultra zoom cameras over the years and nobody bats an eye. Having the extra zoom is an advantage.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #7
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
... If he tries to bring his 300mm lens, he'll probably get stopped. ...
I had a cheap 50mm 1.4D lens on my D5100, which is by no means anywhere close to a professional setup and they took it away. The girl said "it does look professional, that's it". To add insult to an injury, two rows down from me there was a guy shooting his D3 with a giant 70-200 f/2.8 zoom on it. I talked to him during the intermission; turned out he was a tourist from Poland visiting his relatives in Calgary. Very nice guy, was very excited to be in his first NHL game. Apparently, he acted smarter than me hiding his big camera/lens under his coat. "We're used to everything being prohibited" he told me.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
MonsieurFish
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yea, I work at the dome and we're told that no 'professional cameras' are allowed - defined as any camera that has a lens larger than your fist iirc.
MonsieurFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never had a problem bringing my DSLR into anything
Old 02-01-2014, 01:58 PM   #10
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
I've never had a problem bringing my DSLR into anything
I wasn't aware the saddledome is located in the American South.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #11
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Cameras Allowed at the Dome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
I wasn't aware the saddledome is located in the American mid-west
Well I've been to Bridgestone arena, Phillips arena, Coleman coliseum, O'dome, Bryant Denny stadium, the swamp, arrowhead, Mercedes Benz stadium, Nashville, Jacksonville and never had an issue

Alabama is in the Deep South not Midwest
Old 02-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #12
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've also heard that lenses longer than 5 inches are considered "pro".

However, I once brought my old 18-200mm and no even looked twice.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #13
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

When a policy is so loose, there's no need for a policy. They're worried about liability to media companies that pay for the rights to photograph at the events. Realistically, if media companies are so worried about amateurs selling their snapshots for big bucks to newspapers, all they have to do is to self-impose buying photos only from photographers accredited at those events. Solves the problem.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #14
Bmuzyka
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I know a photographer who had her DSLR and bag confiscated in Edmonton, they took it to the security office, and she was able to pick it up at the end of the game.
Bmuzyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #15
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I was in a booth at a Hitman game a few years ago with my SLR 300mil lens, only managed to get a few shots before the usher practically jumped into our booth to tell me to put it away.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:31 PM   #16
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This probably won't help you much. But a friend of mine brought his DSLR to a game with me a few years ago. I don't remember exactly how big his lens was, but I remember it being somewhat compact, for a DSLR.

He got a few shots midway through the 1st period when security came up. They didn't confiscate it, but they did ask him to put it away.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:26 AM   #17
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm surprised they let DSLR's in .Technically under Photographic laws you need permission by the Buildings owners/Renters as its not Considered a public place and is private property. with all that entails being inside a during the event your actually legally required to ask the subject for permission for takng the photo . It just never is enforced. just a fun fact I thought I'd Share.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 03-08-2014 at 01:54 AM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #18
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i wonder if they would be more strict about camers now they have thier fancy scanners, probes and what not.....
Old 03-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #19
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yea, the saddledome is weird that way, I've taken a 70-200mm to the world cup and the Olympics and never had an issue, but at the dome they asked me to put my 200mm prime away.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 03-07-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote