Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-18-2019, 09:01 AM   #2401
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
As far as wacked out greens go, if anyone has the chance to play Trestle Creek, about an hour or so west of Edmonton, do it. Some of the craziest greens I've ever seen.
Yah I played there this summer. Smart of them to make the greens the way they did because the course is pretty lacklustre otherwise being still fairly young.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:14 PM   #2402
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Some takes on Mickelson

-Visually stunning. Some great views and some amazing views (both of the course itself and the landscape beyond). But take out 75% of the trees that were planted. Some of the plantings are kind of cool, but most of the trees will just block views and block shots, the latter of which the course doesn't need.

-I wouldn't want to play it all the time, but I'd definitely want to play it at least once a season. Not sure how it will do as a private course (if membership sales were were going so well, they wouldn't be letting people tear the place up for free), I think it would be far more successful being public because every serious golfer in the province would make a trip to play it and local ones would definitely keep it near the top of their list because it isn't a place that will attract a lot of hackers.

-The driveable Par 4s will be great golf, but will make pace of play a challenge (a worthwhile tradeoff. I figure pace of play is a problem at all golf courses, so it might as well be for something interesting).

-If you're a good golfer, there's a lot of opportunities for some fun golf (picking how much of a hazard to cut off, going for the green on a Par 4, picking between landing zones for your next shot). But if you're a mid-to-high handicapper I think a lot of it will seem like a grind because even with the good teebox variety, we just can't take advantage of those same opportunities.

-The greens were shockingly thatchy considering they were recently seeded. They look nice but play like crap, which was a shame because everything else exceeded expectations.

Would I play it again and play relatively regularly if given the opportunity? Absolutely. Would I consider joining? Absolutely not. Between Windmill's track record at not putting money into their courses, and a supposed $50M+ of construction debt that is dependent on housing sales to put a dent in, I fear the course will be on a downward right from it's official opening (and given the greens, they'll be working from behind already). I'd say if you get a chance to play it, do it as early as possible because it's definitely a unique experience and is a place every serious golfer in the city should make a point of trying to play. But I just wish there were a different group in charge because it's a course that deserves elite conditioning, and they just won't be given the resources to provide it.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:50 PM   #2403
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I won a Taylormade M6 driver tonight during the Mens League windup at the Nanton Golf course. Plus a golf shirt as an added bonus.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:13 AM   #2404
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know which courses are open tomorrow?

I had a tee time booked out at Speargrass but they just called and cancelled, still have too much snow on the course.

Winston is members only shotgun.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:35 PM   #2405
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Anyone know which courses are open tomorrow?

I had a tee time booked out at Speargrass but they just called and cancelled, still have too much snow on the course.

Winston is members only shotgun.
My wife got an email from Stewart Creek saying they had rates for $99.

Maybe give them a call.

Bearspaw as well I believe

Last edited by prarieboy; 10-05-2019 at 12:39 PM.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to prarieboy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 12:50 PM   #2406
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the info.

We booked into Turner Valley.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:51 PM   #2407
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

We booked into Turner Valley.
We used to play there a lot years ago. Love that place.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:33 PM   #2408
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

What a perfect day for golf (other than the small snow patches on the fairway!).

Handicap now down to a new low.

Can't believe there's (basically) no golf for 5-6 months now.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #2409
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Got to play Cherry Creek which is a private course in Denver and what a treat that was. Course was great, in amazing shape, allowed us to play as a 5 some, mens only lounge. Country club life is where its at.
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:05 PM   #2410
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I guess that's that for golf on Calgary this year. Seeing lots of posts on Facebook of courses closing for the season.

I'm off to California on Sunday. Going to play Pasatiempo in Santa Cruz. Super pumped to finally get to play an Allister McKenzie course. Then going to play Pacific Grove Links with the wife.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #2411
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve decided to get my atrocious swing form figured out, so I registered for 16 sessions of golf lessons at GolfTec in Midnapore after the wife got me a free swing evaluation for my birthday. The swing evaluation was eye-opening, really enjoyed the lesson.

At some point I’ll get my club fitting done and score some better clubs than the dinosaurs I have now.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 05:13 PM   #2412
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Nanton golf course is reopening for tomorrow and up until the 20th. Should be able to get 5 more rounds in if the weather stays nice.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:40 PM   #2413
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

All playgolf courses open again tomorrow as well, on reduced rates. I was surprised by the post saying it looked like that's that for golf in Calgary this season, to be honest.

With the hit they took on revenue in late September, early October I figured almost everyone would scrounge together whatever late season revenue they could muster up.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #2414
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ever had a bad day on the course? Ever had 58 penalty strokes on a weekend? Ever birdied the last hole to shoot a round of 127?

Quote:
The rules have changed since the last time Lee Ann Walker competed in an LPGA-sanctioned event. She found out the hard way.

Walker shot rounds of 85 and 74 at the Senior LPGA Championship.

That was before she had to add 42 penalty shots to her opening round in French Lick, Indiana, and 16 more to the second round, giving her scores of 127 and 90.
https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...a-championship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 02:25 PM   #2415
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So I guess that's that for golf on Calgary this year. Seeing lots of posts on Facebook of courses closing for the season.

I'm off to California on Sunday. Going to play Pasatiempo in Santa Cruz. Super pumped to finally get to play an Allister McKenzie course. Then going to play Pacific Grove Links with the wife.
Pasatiempo is one of my favorite courses. Played it a few years back when I did the Pebble loop and it was my favorite of the bunch. Enjoy it!

BTW... Tiger played there once and took a snowman on 16 (you'll understand when you play the hole). Said he would never go back!
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:27 PM   #2416
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Pasatiempo is one of my favorite courses. Played it a few years back when I did the Pebble loop and it was my favorite of the bunch. Enjoy it!

BTW... Tiger played there once and took a snowman on 16 (you'll understand when you play the hole). Said he would never go back!
This episode of No Laying Up Tourist Sauce has put Pasatiempo on a must play list for me. Looks awesome:

Old 10-17-2019, 10:49 AM   #2417
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post

There's the green on 16. Three tiers of craziness!!

Hard to see but the pin is back left on the upper tier. I hit a perfect driver into the hazard and made a nice bogey after a penalty drop.

Second picture is the tee shot on #7 that they talk about on the NLU video. It's so unbelievably tight off the tee.

Green fee is a bit pricey with the exchange rate on top, but it's a bucket list type course. My only regret is I let the staff talk me out of walking the course. It's very definitely walkable.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #2418
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ Glad you enjoyed it. It has a real soft spot in my heart. I went snowman-snowman on 11-12 (got left on both) and was ready to commit serpuku. The members I was playing with helped me get the ship righted and get me caring again by 16. Talked me into hitting a 4 iron off the tee to the top of the hill and let it release down to the rough - everyone else was in the junk left. Hit a wedge into the backing and pulled it back to about six feet, and made the birdy. That's when they told me about Tiger's visit. Must have motivated me as I birdied in including almost holing out on 18. Save for two holes was a memorable round that has put Pasatiempo near the top of course to play "one last time."

Did you stay at the "hotel" at the course? That definitely adds to the charm of the experience.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:30 PM   #2419
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's still open right now? Thinking of a round tomorrow.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:38 PM   #2420
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

All playgolf courses are open today and tomorrow, I believe. (heatherglen, blue devil, serenity, glen eagles).
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow