Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-14-2019, 05:37 PM   #3361
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

First off, I think Calgary actually has a pretty good transit system for a city of its size, by North American standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
2) There is no accountability for transit drivers to be on time. How is it possible that a bus scheduled to come every 10 minutes, I can wait 30 minutes for?
This is a huge gear grinder. I started taking the bus to work a few months ago, and most drivers are fine but there are a lot of them that run consistently early, presumably so they can have a smoke/coffee break at the timing point. There’s no reason for this to be tolerated, especially now that busses are tracked via GPS.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:37 PM   #3362
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
If you live in endless suburbia, maybe.
A.k.a. most of Calgary.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:48 PM   #3363
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
A.k.a. most of Calgary.
aka, used to live in calgary, now BC?
IrishSpring2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:16 AM   #3364
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know of any usage or how many vehicles are taken off the road with the "max" lines? I'm eagerly awaiting the work to be done on 14th, mostly because the construction has been ridiculously inconvenient. I'm just wondering if the other lines have shown improved traffic flows in the areas of operation?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:42 AM   #3365
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Anyone know of any usage or how many vehicles are taken off the road with the "max" lines? I'm eagerly awaiting the work to be done on 14th, mostly because the construction has been ridiculously inconvenient. I'm just wondering if the other lines have shown improved traffic flows in the areas of operation?
I'd temper your expectations. My gut feeling is that aside from the relief of the construction itself being over, we won't see any alleviation of traffic in this part of the city until the ring road opens. I don't expect we'll see a significant amount of cars coming off the road due to Max Yellow. The buses are going to have some students going to MRU, maybe a few people visiting the hospital. Looking at the yellow line route, unless it's much faster than I imagine (there aren't any schedules posted yet), I can't see many daily commuters to DT using it. But I'll be happy to be wrong about that.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 11-15-2019 at 08:46 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #3366
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I'd temper your expectations. My gut feeling is that aside from the relief of the construction itself being over, we won't see any alleviation of traffic in this part of the city until the ring road opens. I don't expect we'll see a significant amount of cars coming off the road due to Max Yellow. The buses are going to have some students going to MRU, maybe a few people visiting the hospital. Looking at the yellow line route, unless it's much faster than I imagine (there aren't any schedules posted yet), I can't see many daily commuters to DT using it. But I'll be happy to be wrong about that.
Well that's my general feeling on it as well (and why we spent ~$100m to build an underpass for a dedicated bus to achieve that is another discussion entirely), but I was hoping to be wrong. I just figured that maybe the other routes would have some evidence or someone who lives near them could tell us of changes and such. You're probably right though. Just being the finished with the construction will make things feel better, even if they're not really!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #3367
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I think the Yellow line may be slow at first, but then see it build up. The reason this has been disruptive is the route should be quick. The buses can head down the left lane of Crowchild instead of waiting, and have their own left turn onto Glenmore. Then their own lanes as they go, and get to miss at least one light at 90th. That could turn a bus trip into the same time as a car trip. Once transit becomes as fast as driving, people will start using it.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:09 AM   #3368
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
There’s no reason for this to be tolerated, especially now that busses are tracked via GPS.
Yet there is still a 0% chance that their "estimated real time" is correct.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:51 AM   #3369
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, new Green Line direction:

Bridge over the Bow now and no deep tunneling downtown. I get the bridge but no tunneling will seem like a huge mistake when this opens, no?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:00 AM   #3370
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Bridge over the Bow now and no deep tunneling downtown. I get the bridge but no tunneling will seem like a huge mistake when this opens, no?
It probably costs so much now that there isn't enough money to reach Shepard and the maintenance yard.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:29 AM   #3371
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
It probably costs so much now that there isn't enough money to reach Shepard and the maintenance yard.
It probably costs so much that we could've paid a guy to get an engineering PhD and hire a bunch of Mexicans to hand mix all the concrete required to build the entire length of line.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:41 AM   #3372
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

The LRT on 7th Ave instead of being underground hasn't caused any problems...
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:07 AM   #3373
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Well that's my general feeling on it as well (and why we spent ~$100m to build an underpass for a dedicated bus to achieve that is another discussion entirely), but I was hoping to be wrong.
The entire SW BRT is $66 million, and the underpass is probably $10 million of that.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #3374
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:

Did they say no tunneling as in no deep bored tunnel? Cut and cover tunnels are close to the surface and much cheaper which I imagine is still an option.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:32 AM   #3375
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would that be sharing the Centre St. Bridge? Would be interesting if they did the cut/cover and then crossed the Bow on the lower deck. If there is enough room for that. Probably not.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #3376
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That's not really new. That was recommended months ago.

"No deep tunneling" doesn't necessarily mean "no tunneling" (unless something else changed, but I can't find anything to indicate that). What it means is they won't be buying one of those tunnel boring machines to dig the tunnel without disrupting the surrounding areas.

They could still do shallower "cut & cover" tunnels. This is probably a better option anyway because the stations can be much closer to ground level because they wouldn't have to avoid certain obstacles that would require the very deep stations for the bored tunnel.

The downside to doing it as a cut & cover is that it will be much more disruptive to traffic and the surrounding businesses during the construction phase. On the other hand, running it on surface streets through the Beltline and downtown would be even more disruptive and that would be a permanent disruption.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:56 AM   #3377
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Max Teal is pretty sparsely populated most of the time, and is earning the monicker of “MT” (eMTee).
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #3378
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Max Purple - I truly haven't particularly noticed a reduction in traffic. Quite common to see two or three buses back to back with not enough passengers to fill one.

I will say private vehicle travel has slowed significantly to accommodate all the intersections and silly random rules. I've complained more than enough about it, but the entire route from downtown through 9th and to 52nd in the SE is one about as stupidly designed as I can imagine.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:22 PM   #3379
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Let's be honest, people riding these routes probably don't even own a car.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:13 PM   #3380
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-lrt-1.5361978

Another proposed solution is splitting the line in two and more/less skipping downtown. On one hand that's insanely stupid, but at this point I'd say screw it - forget about LRT for the south side and just make it a BRT. Could probably have it just about up and running before they get shovels in the ground for this, and it would tie into current Max Teal and Purple...and/or a bunch of other bus lines for a lot more flexibility, and immediate service to the deepest south, including hospital.

I'd also look at selling a very limited number of expensive monthly toll passes for each of the fully separated BRT's.

This project feels like it's destined for some sort of hilarious disaster (e.g. Edmonton's recent delays related to at-grade crossing signals, or whatever city it was that ordered trains incompatible with their tracks). An at grade crossing of Macleod Trail would be enough to qualify.

In it's current form, the green line does nothing to help the north-centre of the city for at least 20 years anyways. In my Sim-city I'd be thinking about a regional rail line as their hope (Downtown, maybe Deerfoot City, Airport, another stop or 2 along Stoney Trail north end before following the CPR ROW out to Cochrane and beyond) - at this point it doesn't seem like as much of a pipe dream as the north green line.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings