Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2022, 10:47 AM   #41
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Toffolli can certainly add some offense but his value is in his versatility.

He can up and down the line-up as needed but also can play PP and is a really good PK guy.

Not sure why some have this weird hate on for him, but its quite foolish based on any metric to claim he sucks or is not a good player. That is simply a false statement on every level.
Old 09-25-2022, 10:52 AM   #42
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you can also add in the fact Toffoli can also take a massive load off of Lindholms shoulder defensively. Lindy won't have to do majority of the heavy lifting alone. All in all the way the top line looks right now ....in my humblest if opinions, far more fair and balanced for everyone on it. Which means more points for everyone.

Like I said yesterday somewhere here, this top line looks like a team of horses ready to pull this organization in unison to the promised land.
Old 09-25-2022, 10:55 AM   #43
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I don't know about a career year at this age. But I do think he will be better this season. As a mid year acquisition last year, they really couldn't find a place for him. The top line was not going to be split up, and Backlund and Coleman are more shut down guys as their primary role. Monahan was broken beyond repair, and Jarnkrok wss another later add who struggled too. So the fact that he will get to play with Lindholm or Kadri will be a significant upgrade. He still hit 20 goals and 49 points in 74 games last year...do 25 and 60 with a bit more consistency is well within the range of outcomes. A career year, I wouldn't bet on it, but it's not so far fetched I don't see it happening. I'd bet on him coming closer to 70 than 30 type of thing.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 09-25-2022 at 10:59 AM.
Sylvanfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 10:56 AM   #44
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

He literally played at hist career average pace of 25/25 when he came here. He is streaky but a lot of goal scorers are. He looked gassed at the end and if he says he's better conditioned I don't think 5 extra goals is out of the question. Darryl himself said he's playing with the best playmaker in the NHL so he should score.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 11:09 AM   #45
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

AT77 vs the world: the thread
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2022, 12:07 PM   #46
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Backlund hits 40 in a good year...
Sorry to nitpick, but Backlund hits 40 EVERY year. For eight of the past nine straight seasons he has been a +40-pts player, and last year he scored 39.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2022, 12:15 PM   #47
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT77 View Post
Not a single post….because I was banned for continuously saying Toffoli sucks lmao. Must have hurt someone’s feelings. Maybe you complained to the mods or something because I hurt your feelings for saying your lover boy sucks.

I’m definitely a Flames fan, but I’m also a realist. Toffoli actually, like actually, sucks.
What a loser this guy is
Old 09-25-2022, 12:38 PM   #48
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
What a loser this guy is
Do we have any resident psychologists? This fellow needs some help. I ain't mad, I feel sympathetic. Maybe Toffoli left him hanging on a fist bump.
Old 09-25-2022, 01:53 PM   #49
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gets banned for something...when said ban is over immediately does the same thing he was banned for

Opinions are fine but continually saying a 20 goals scorer "sucks" is just stupid. Lifetime ban might be necessary but that is above my pay grade. He certainly isn't contributing anything to the site and is here to troll.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:58 PM   #50
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In 15-16 when Toffoli scored 31 goals, he spent 75% of the season with Carter and Lucic as his linemates. The other 25% of the season was spent with Kopitar and Pearson. Carter is no slouch and Kopitar is an incredible player, but they cannot touch Huberdeau's playmaking skills.

In 20-21, when he was scoring at 44 goal pace, he was stapled to Suzuki's wing for the entire season. The third member of the line was one of Armia, Perry, Gallagher, and Kotkaniemi. Suzuki is a good playmaker, but he also can't hold a torch to Huberdeau.

It's going to be incredibly disappointing if Toffoli doesn't hit 40 goals or have a career year.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boogerz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2022, 11:20 PM   #51
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m interested to see if he fits in speedwise. But honestly our second line might be faster. So he’s going to have no choice but to keep up.
Goriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 05:59 AM   #52
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post
In 15-16 when Toffoli scored 31 goals, he spent 75% of the season with Carter and Lucic as his linemates. The other 25% of the season was spent with Kopitar and Pearson. Carter is no slouch and Kopitar is an incredible player, but they cannot touch Huberdeau's playmaking skills.

In 20-21, when he was scoring at 44 goal pace, he was stapled to Suzuki's wing for the entire season. The third member of the line was one of Armia, Perry, Gallagher, and Kotkaniemi. Suzuki is a good playmaker, but he also can't hold a torch to Huberdeau.

It's going to be incredibly disappointing if Toffoli doesn't hit 40 goals or have a career year.
17 guys in the entire NHL scored 40 or more last year.

Thats just an unrealistic expectation.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:10 AM   #53
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
17 guys in the entire NHL scored 40 or more last year.

Thats just an unrealistic expectation.
This is surprisingly high.
As recently as 2015, only 15 players even scored 30 goals.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 06:49 AM   #54
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know, I just haven't seen that much from this player as a Flame. He's not exceptional off the puck, and seems to work himself into difficult spots with the puck and doesn't have the skating or puck handling ability to problem-solve consistently.

Maybe it's an issue of systems or conditioning, and I'm certainly hoping he proves me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 07:58 AM   #55
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

https://media.giphy.com/media/iHskdY...2u5c/giphy.gif
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 08:08 AM   #56
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Just prepare to be disappointed .
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 09:13 AM   #57
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Expecting 40 goals from Toffoli is unrealistic, he can probably hit 30.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 09:50 AM   #58
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Just prepare to be disappointed .
If he's healthy all year and stapled to the top line, it isn't a stretch to suggest Toffoli could hit 30g, 35a. Obviously a lot has to go right for that to happen, but anything beyond that is just way out of his league if you ask me.

The one wild card here is that I don't think any of us know how good a player Huberdeau could be for those around him. It's more likely that a guy like Lindholm hits 45-50g than anything else.
Old 09-26-2022, 10:18 AM   #59
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Do we really know if Toffoli is going to get PP1 time? That could be the difference between a 25 goal season and a 30+ season. I think Lindholm for sure will be on PP1 but not sure if Toffoli will slot ahead of Kadri or Mangiapane there. (Given say a 1d setup).

If I had to guess I’d put Tofolli’s over/under on goals at like 25 with the kicker being the PP opportunities. Heck even Lindholm I’d put his at like 35 since there is no guarantee he clicks as well with Huberdeau as he did with Gaudreau.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 11:13 AM   #60
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would think that if Toffoli sticks with the top line, he is probably on PP1 as well:

Mangiapane / Kadri
Huberdeau - Lindholm - Toffoli
Andersson / Weegar

Mangiapane - Backlund - Milano
Hanifin - Andersson / Weegar
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote