Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2022, 08:02 AM   #4601
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hah, the "freaking out" thing is interesting. It's sounds a bit like Johnny was feeling the way I feel when it's supper time and it's been a long day and I'm starving but I don't want to cook and no take-out option sounds good well maybe this place but nah we ate there last week, and now my wife is hungry too and she just wants me to make up my mind so OK let's go out to this place and nah she says that place is overpriced, so OK let's eat some olives for a minute and look at some Google reviews and jesus now I'm really starving and also thirsty from these olives I just want food to materialize in front of me or someone else to make the decision I'm sorry honey I'm not trying to be difficult I just don't like Vietnamese food but here have some more olives OK fine pizza hut it is.
liamenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:04 AM   #4602
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamenator View Post
Hah, the "freaking out" thing is interesting. It's sounds a bit like Johnny was feeling the way I feel when it's supper time and it's been a long day and I'm starving but I don't want to cook and no take-out option sounds good well maybe this place but nah we ate there last week, and now my wife is hungry too and she just wants me to make up my mind so OK let's go out to this place and nah she says that place is overpriced, so OK let's eat some olives for a minute and look at some Google reviews and jesus now I'm really starving and also thirsty from these olives I just want food to materialize in front of me or someone else to make the decision I'm sorry honey I'm not trying to be difficult I just don't like Vietnamese food but here have some more olives OK fine pizza hut it is.
It's true. In fact when you drive into Columbus you are greeted with a sign that says "Welcome to Columbus. Kinda like Pizza Hut - but a city".
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 08:47 AM   #4603
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post

Quote:
Despite his status as the second-longest serving Flame, Andersson’s tenure does not come with perks such as having a better parking stall: “Backs keeps telling me I still don’t have enough games.”

Kind of mind blowing to me that Ras has both been around that long and that there's been that much turnover.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:47 AM   #4604
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll stand by my opinion since the summer that Gaudreau wanted to remain in Calgary. Other factors more than likely played into his decision, and that's totally fine.... that happens; it's his right as a UFA. However, if it was up to him without any other considerations, he'd absolutely be here. Just my own opinion though.

I'll always wish him well, I don't hate the guy or have a desire to boo him in the slightest.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:50 AM   #4605
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Am I the only one that will be cheering Gaudreau, not because of all he did during his time here but because he chose to leave and not handcuff us with that 8 year deal?
we're more handcuffed by Huberdeau'a 1+8 year deal so that would be a bizarre position to have.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:53 AM   #4606
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not sure I agree there. I mean that Huberdeaus is more. I think they offered Gaudreau what they gave Huberdeau. They’re like what 3 months apart in age? The only way Huberdeaus contract is more handcuffed is if you think he’s a worse player. I have seen enough of Gaudreau in the playoffs to be happy to have a change there. Still miffed that he could have stopped that game winner in game five but chose to cycle up zone for the outlet pass. He could have either checked Draisatl or at least shadowed him but he abandoned the play and then 5 seconds later the puck is in our net.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:56 AM   #4607
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would rather be "handcuffed" by a guy who has shown improvement year to year and shows commitment to the team and city over the guy who can't decide what he wants and goes from career years to looking like a 2nd liner.

The comments from Coleman seem to be different from what Gudbranson said that no one talked about free agency at the wedding it was enjoying the moment.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 10:12 AM   #4608
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
we're more handcuffed by Huberdeau'a 1+8 year deal so that would be a bizarre position to have.
I don’t see how my position on Gaudreau is bizarre in any capacity. I’ve been wanting the Flames to move on from Gaudreau since the 2018-19 season for various reasons. It’s bizarre that people think it’s bizarre, but I won’t bother wasting much energy commenting on that.

Flames giving Huberdeau approx the same TermX$ deal that was rumoured for Gaudreau is an independent variable and I will form my own “bizarre” position on it as it plays out.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:16 AM   #4609
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm coming around to cheering for Johnny even though he's no longer with the Flames. It was a clumsy, ugly, mishandled ending, but I don't think there was any intent to screw over the team or fans and I never cheered for him because of his emotional maturity or his tact. I'm sure he'll still be one of the most fun players in the league to watch.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:16 AM   #4610
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Spoiler!

I'd say he deserves boo birds when he's in town
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:30 AM   #4611
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't hate on Johnny for leaving at all. As for the comments, he's never been a good communicator, so I don't read too much into it. My 'yikes' fly-by was aimed at his agent/the Jackets PR team for not helping him better articulate his relationship with the Flames and failing to educate him on how even the smallest of slights could be misinterpreted (and how that will make it harder on him that it needs to be).
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:38 AM   #4612
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So people are upset that he said he misses the city of Calgary, but now doesn't care how the team does?

If Kadri said that about the Avs wouldn't we rejoice? I don't get how this is an issue whatsoever. Good on em, he shouldn't at all be concerned with the current direction of the team. Haha this makes no sense to me.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 10:40 AM   #4613
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 10:44 AM   #4614
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post

I disagree.... I know that he's older (3 months someone said).... and this contract runs 1 year longer with the extra year before the contract starts, so Huberdeau will be 1 year and 3 months older at the end - but... I feel that Huberdeau will be a more capable player longer then Gaudreau, and our first year of the nine total years will be discounted as well. This is just comparing the two players... I'd rather have 6 years overall - but hey, to get those 5 extra years signed, we had to give up those 3 years - it's a negotiation.
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 11:03 AM   #4615
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

If Squiggs inbox for PM's was not full before that post on Sunday...I imagine it's close now.

If I was at the game...I probably boo Gaudreau the first time he touches the puck for the fun of it. But would applaud a tribute video. He did provide a lot of entertainment during his time as a Flame and although messy...he was within his right to leave when he did. Adam Fox...I want that guy to fake being sick when he comes to Calgary because of how badly he's treated.

Early in the thread my suspicion was that things like his Dad not having to watch games that start at 10 or later every night may have been really important to Johnny. He probably let every detail of this drive him crazy.

In hearing all this my petty soul can peacefully rest thinking that one day his wife scolds him with "We could totally afford this had you taken the Flames offer like I wanted you too."

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 09-27-2022 at 11:05 AM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 11:16 AM   #4616
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

After the dust has settled, I have no ill will towards Gaudreau. In fact, after reading a bit of Blue Jacket coverage, I think Columbus (the city, not team) needed Gaudreau more than Calgary did. Those fans, that city, is legit pumped up. Fans were lined up outside the building for Gaudreau's first practice. I can't help but feel happy for Columbus fans who have been shat on more than a few times with star players leaving.

In short, the Flames are just as good, probably better, and Gaudreau going to Columbus turned out to be a fantastic feel good story. Win/win.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 11:59 AM   #4617
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
Spoiler!

I'm not going to boo the guy, he properly used the term "couldn't care less". That gets him a reprieve in my books.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 12:07 PM   #4618
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
I'm not going to boo the guy, he properly used the term "couldn't care less". That gets him a reprieve in my books.
I agree with the pet peeve. But damn if that doesn't make it sound like a fake quote coming from Johnny.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 02:25 PM   #4619
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Old 09-28-2022, 02:36 PM   #4620
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think we should chant Johnny as loud as we can like raise the roof loud. Followed by a video tribute with a standing o. Fly in the family for it as well, pull out all the stops. Maybe even Johnny hockey bobbleheads. Just to rub it in what he left behind.
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
incels outing themselves