Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2022, 04:20 PM   #21
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Ok, another puzzle.

You have a meter stick placed so that the 0cm marker is on the left, and the 100cm marker is on the right.

99 ants are placed on every cm marker from 1 to 99.

The ant at cm 1 is facing to the right. The ant at cm 99 is facing left.

For the 97 ants in between, a coin is flipped to determine if that ant is facing left or right: heads, the ant faces left, tails the ant faces right.

Ants only walk in a straight line at 1cm/s in the direction they are heading. If an ant bumps into another ant, both ants immediately turn around and start walking in the opposite direction.

If an ant walks to either end of the meter stick, it falls off.

1) Prove that, eventually, all ants will fall off?
2) What is the maximum time it will take for all ants to fall off?
1. Horribly rough, but based on the way it works, because the ants are expected to keep moving till they fall off, Ant 1/99 will guarantee fall off after once bounce, 2/8 after 2 bounces etc.

It doesn't really matter which directions the other ants are facing because 1/99 are facing in and guarantees the next ant bounces and does a chain reaction before falling.

2. I want to say you calculate by determining the expected movements of ant 49 which is supposed to fall off last. I assume it bounces 49 or 48 times with the pairings, so add up 48cm + 47 till 1 for distance traveled in cm and then adjust for seconds/minutes/hours?

I'm sure someone else would get the actual accurate values or something.

Geez, these puzzles are like much more complex than elementary school math. Anything over elementary school math and it ceases to be fun. (ignoring higher level math tools that are just expansions of basic BEDMAS).

===========

The only math puzzle I distinctively remember was from like grade 3 in a "problem solving" math question. It popped up again in grade 6, so when I was the only person to answer it correctly.

I remember it distinctly because I think we were given like 20 minutes to do it and if you finished early, you went for recess. I handed in my paper 3-4 minutes after we started (teacher actually scolded me in front of the class because she thought I gave up and wanted extra recess) and I was the only one to get it correctly. To "fix" her error in scolding me, she gave me the "honor" of presenting my response to the whole class.

You have a machine that requires exactly 8 litres of liquid or something catastrophic will happen (trap, spaceship explodes, whatever). You have two oddly shaped containers that hold 5 and 7 litres exactly. These are the only two containers that are available that can hold the liquid and you have access to unlimited liquid.

How do you get the exact 8 litres using these two containers?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 04:34 PM   #22
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
1. Horribly rough, but based on the way it works, because the ants are expected to keep moving till they fall off, Ant 1/99 will guarantee fall off after once bounce, 2/8 after 2 bounces etc.

It doesn't really matter which directions the other ants are facing because 1/99 are facing in and guarantees the next ant bounces and does a chain reaction before falling.

2. I want to say you calculate by determining the expected movements of ant 49 which is supposed to fall off last. I assume it bounces 49 or 48 times with the pairings, so add up 48cm + 47 till 1 for distance traveled in cm and then adjust for seconds/minutes/hours?

I'm sure someone else would get the actual accurate values or something.

Geez, these puzzles are like much more complex than elementary school math. Anything over elementary school math and it ceases to be fun. (ignoring higher level math tools that are just expansions of basic BEDMAS).

===========

The only math puzzle I distinctively remember was from like grade 3 in a "problem solving" math question. It popped up again in grade 6, so when I was the only person to answer it correctly.

I remember it distinctly because I think we were given like 20 minutes to do it and if you finished early, you went for recess. I handed in my paper 3-4 minutes after we started (teacher actually scolded me in front of the class because she thought I gave up and wanted extra recess) and I was the only one to get it correctly. To "fix" her error in scolding me, she gave me the "honor" of presenting my response to the whole class.

You have a machine that requires exactly 8 litres of liquid or something catastrophic will happen (trap, spaceship explodes, whatever). You have two oddly shaped containers that hold 5 and 7 litres exactly. These are the only two containers that are available that can hold the liquid and you have access to unlimited liquid.

I get the gist of your answer to #1 and it will work. However, there is a much more elegant answer that will make #2 a lot easier too!

I've heard the liquid problem before, so will let someone else solve it who hasn't seen it. To me, it is a relative of the bridge riddle that Scorch posted above.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 04:41 PM   #23
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post

Spoiler!

Here's a puzzle that I saw the other day and found quite interesting. The video also contains the solution, so pause after the question is given to you if you want to try to figure it out on your own.

Old 07-06-2022, 09:09 PM   #24
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, another puzzle.

You have a meter stick placed so that the 0cm marker is on the left, and the 100cm marker is on the right.

99 ants are placed on every cm marker from 1 to 99.

The ant at cm 1 is facing to the right. The ant at cm 99 is facing left.

For the 97 ants in between, a coin is flipped to determine if that ant is facing left or right: heads, the ant faces left, tails the ant faces right.

Ants only walk in a straight line at 1cm/s in the direction they are heading. If an ant bumps into another ant, both ants immediately turn around and start walking in the opposite direction.

If an ant walks to either end of the meter stick, it falls off.

1) Prove that, eventually, all ants will fall off?
2) What is the maximum time it will take for all ants to fall off?
Spoiler!

Last edited by GGG; 07-06-2022 at 09:12 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 08:58 AM   #25
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think we have a winner. GGG, I appreciate you walking through your thought process.

Here's the concise solution:
Spoiler!

My comments on your solution in bold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Spoiler!
Old 07-08-2022, 12:32 AM   #26
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think we have a winner. GGG, I appreciate you walking through your thought process.

Here's the concise solution:
Spoiler!

My comments on your solution in bold:
Spoiler!
Old 07-08-2022, 08:48 AM   #27
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ok, new puzzle for the weekend.

Prove that there exists two irrational numbers, a and b, such that a^b (a to the power of b) is rational.

As a reminder, rational numbers are numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers (like 1/3, or 12). Irrational numbers are numbers that aren't rational.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:40 PM   #28
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, new puzzle for the weekend.

Prove that there exists two irrational numbers, a and b, such that a^b (a to the power of b) is rational.

As a reminder, rational numbers are numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers (like 1/3, or 12). Irrational numbers are numbers that aren't rational.
Spoiler!

Last edited by bizaro86; 07-08-2022 at 10:42 PM.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2022, 02:59 PM   #29
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Spoiler!
That wasn't what I was looking for but I think it's a great solution. Simple and immediately obvious. As you say, you do have to prove that the one term is irrational - and if we are being pedantic, you should have to prove that both terms are irrational. One isn't too hard, but the other is a bit more difficult.

Funny that I first heard this problem in my first year algebra course over 30 years ago, and I've seen it pop up every now and then, but never saw your solution.

Let me amend the problem a little. Prove that there exists two irrational, non-transcendental numbers (so no pi or e, for example) a and b such that a^b is rational.
Old 07-09-2022, 04:40 PM   #30
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That wasn't what I was looking for but I think it's a great solution. Simple and immediately obvious. As you say, you do have to prove that the one term is irrational - and if we are being pedantic, you should have to prove that both terms are irrational. One isn't too hard, but the other is a bit more difficult.

Funny that I first heard this problem in my first year algebra course over 30 years ago, and I've seen it pop up every now and then, but never saw your solution.

Let me amend the problem a little. Prove that there exists two irrational, non-transcendental numbers (so no pi or e, for example) a and b such that a^b is rational.
Spoiler!
Old 07-11-2022, 04:21 PM   #31
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Spoiler!
Haha, the old "exercise to the reader" argument. I remember in undergrad someone put together a list of different proof types. Along with common ones like "proof by induction" or "proof by contradiction" were "back of the textbook proof" and "proof by intimidation".

I think your method works, but you do have to prove that that one item is irrational. It certainly looks irrational, but how do you know for sure?

Maybe, to help further narrow the scope, I'll amend the problem one last time to say there exists 2 irrational algebraic numbers a and b such that a^b is rational.

Algebraic numbers are numbers that are solutions to P(x)=0 where P(x) is any polynomial in x with rational coefficients.
Old 07-11-2022, 08:03 PM   #32
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha, the old "exercise to the reader" argument. I remember in undergrad someone put together a list of different proof types. Along with common ones like "proof by induction" or "proof by contradiction" were "back of the textbook proof" and "proof by intimidation".

I think your method works, but you do have to prove that that one item is irrational. It certainly looks irrational, but how do you know for sure?

Maybe, to help further narrow the scope, I'll amend the problem one last time to say there exists 2 irrational algebraic numbers a and b such that a^b is rational.

Algebraic numbers are numbers that are solutions to P(x)=0 where P(x) is any polynomial in x with rational coefficients.
Spoiler!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 09:26 PM   #33
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t like this problem isn’t there a wide variety of sets of numbers that prove the general case of there is at least one irrational number that satisfies the solution and then the debate is just proving the initials conditions are irrational?

Going from memory the construct is something like root 3^ log 4 = 2 and then you prove the construct isn’t true. Anyway I dislike mathematical proofs….
Old 07-11-2022, 10:51 PM   #34
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Spoiler!
And we have another winner!

Yes, you've come up with the solution I was looking for.
Spoiler!
Old 07-12-2022, 08:28 AM   #35
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ok, new puzzle.

Alice, Bob, and their dog Cujo all start at the same point. Alice and Bob begin walking down the same path in the same direction: Alice walks at 4km/h, Bob at 3km/h. Cujo, meanwhile, runs back and forth on the path between Alice and Bob at 10km/h (ie. he runs until he meets Alice, then immediately turns around and runs until he meets Bob then turns around again to run to Alice etc, always staying on the path).

Assume they all travel at constant speed the entire time.

After 1 hour, Alice is 4km down the path from the start point. Bob is 3km on the path from the start point. Where on the path is Cujo?
Old 07-12-2022, 08:40 AM   #36
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don’t like this problem isn’t there a wide variety of sets of numbers that prove the general case of there is at least one irrational number that satisfies the solution and then the debate is just proving the initials conditions are irrational?

Going from memory the construct is something like root 3^ log 4 = 2 and then you prove the construct isn’t true. Anyway I dislike mathematical proofs….
I probably should have specified algebraic numbers in the original wording. When we got this problem as an assignment in uni, it didn't specify algebraic numbers, but it did say "consider sqrt(2)" as a hint, which led us down the right path for the solution.

If you consider logs, then the issue is, as you say, proving that the log of some value is irrational, which isn't trivial.

I do think math proofs have a certain beauty about them because they can show an assertion is always true and it is airtight. Also, they often reveal something new about the nature of the system you are working in. Brute force proofs are like the ugly stepchild - they prove the result by just checking every possible scenario, and usually don't reveal anything new - just the result (I know the 4-color problem was initially solved this way. Haven't checked if there is a non-brute force proof for that problem).
Old 07-12-2022, 09:22 AM   #37
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And we have another winner!

Yes, you've come up with the solution I was looking for.
Spoiler!
I think the bold would be enough changes for me to stop playing.

Out of curiosity, I did find proofs that both e and ln(2) are irrational (using Google so doesn't count). It turns out I'm not as good at math as Euler... I still sort of like my first e to the power of ln(2) solution better. The proofs are harder (even though its intuitively obvious both are irrational) but the solution itself doesn't have a logic tree, just one of the exponential laws.

I do sort of agree with ggg about proofs in general, although iirc correctly he (like me) is an engineer. And I know I'm certainly fine with empirical solutions that work. Most of the math I've done in my career is numerical solutions to equations of state, which is basically just complicated guess-and-check So from that perspective trying to solve this analytically was fun, as it's different.
Old 07-12-2022, 06:04 PM   #38
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, new puzzle.

Alice, Bob, and their dog Cujo all start at the same point. Alice and Bob begin walking down the same path in the same direction: Alice walks at 4km/h, Bob at 3km/h. Cujo, meanwhile, runs back and forth on the path between Alice and Bob at 10km/h (ie. he runs until he meets Alice, then immediately turns around and runs until he meets Bob then turns around again to run to Alice etc, always staying on the path).

Assume they all travel at constant speed the entire time.

After 1 hour, Alice is 4km down the path from the start point. Bob is 3km on the path from the start point. Where on the path is Cujo?
Spoiler!
Old 07-14-2022, 09:11 AM   #39
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In fact, you are correct! Great work!

Spoiler!

A few comments below.
Spoiler!
Old 07-14-2022, 10:29 AM   #40
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope these have been fun problems. I've had several in my head from when I first heard them, but I'm starting to look around for more - hopefully I can keep finding interesting ones to solve that don't require lots of background knowledge. Again, if anyone else has any to share, please do.

Here's a new problem. Let's see if it gets solved before the weekend is over or not.

You have a complete graph on 6 vertices (graph where all vertices are connected to each other) like below

Each edge can be colored either red or blue.

Show that regardless of the coloring, you can always find 3 edges that form a triangle that will have its edges all the same color.