Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2022, 10:10 PM   #101
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would Washington give up Tom Wilson? That's what I would classify has giving up a big piece. Pittsburgh has nothing we want, the Rangers would be a futures deal as well. None of that helps us now to win now.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:12 PM   #102
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah I looked over that list of teams and yeah not much fits. Wilson would be great but I doubt that deal happens.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:28 PM   #103
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
Yes and every single one of those teams would give you picks/prospects. Give me a top 6 winger with term off any of those teams that they’d trade Calgary for a rental. No one is saying Calgary can’t get futures for Weegar. But we don’t want futures we want a top six winger signed for say 2 years who would fit cap wise in the Weegar gap.
I believe we could get roster players from a number of teams, nevermind picks and prospects. Those are just teams I mentioned off the top of my head.

I actually posted a Wilson proposal a few weeks ago- not going to happen as he's a very important player for the Caps, and he had knee surgery this summer and is expected to be out until January (I think?). If we could get him, he would be extremely impactful, if he's the same player he was before the surgery.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:32 PM   #104
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who really needs a defenceman is Vancouver. Boeser?
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:32 PM   #105
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Horse View Post
To me this whole thing about not talking contract during the season is ridiculous. That's why you have an agent and him and the gm can work on the deal during the season and the player just plays hockey. It is so ridiculous that they would waste the whole season not negotiating. Then you have what happened with Gaudreau. For those that let Tre off on that one he should have never let it get to that point and there is always something the GM could have done differently.
“Not wanting to talk contract during the season” is code for wanting to test free agency. Which a lot of players want to do, including Gaudreau. They play their whole careers and get paid below market value in cities they never got to choose for a chance to become UFA. A GM doesn’t have power to make someone sign unilaterally. None of this is a big misunderstanding, they say this because they don’t want to straight up say they’re waiting for free agency but maybe they should if people are going to take everything literal and then be set up for disappointment and confusion.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 10:35 PM   #106
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Would Washington give up Tom Wilson? That's what I would classify has giving up a big piece. Pittsburgh has nothing we want, the Rangers would be a futures deal as well. None of that helps us now to win now.
There's been rumors out of NY that the Rangers may look to move either Kravtsov or Kakko. There's many teams that would be interested in Weegs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 10:35 PM   #107
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never heard a player say he wants to discuss contracts during the season

We are reading too much into it...I bet he signs soon
Old 09-27-2022, 10:41 PM   #108
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Who really needs a defenceman is Vancouver. Boeser?
Boeser was rumoured to be the player that the Flames were interested in drafting in the 2015 Draft, if they hadn't moved the first-round pick. I like him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 10:57 PM   #109
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
Don’t you know how to do it? I thought you just go to the trade screen and fill number of players on your side so you can get that guy you want. Then just press the button and instant trade. Works every time.

Given that you’re looking for a top six winger with term I would guess the number of contenders giving one of those for a rental is well nil. Maybe you can arrange a sign and trade? Trey did it once I guess maybe he can again but that’s about the only way you’re getting a signed too six winger.
You have to keep adding 7th round picks until the trade goes through and voila, Weegar for Marner 50% retained.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 11:43 PM   #110
simonsays
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Boeser was rumoured to be the player that the Flames were interested in drafting in the 2015 Draft, if they hadn't moved the first-round pick. I like him.

Boeser has never played a full 82. He's a great winger but he won't play a full season again this year. If we're targeting the Canucks for wingers right now I'd prefer Garland ++.
simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 12:19 AM   #111
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
There's been rumors out of NY that the Rangers may look to move either Kravtsov or Kakko. There's many teams that would be interested in Weegs.
I'm starting to think you're obsessed with Kravtsov......as much as I am. He's the guy I wanted when he asked for a trade and I feel his speed, size, and hands would fill a great need for our team.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2022, 12:23 AM   #112
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Boeser likes dogs and he lives in my neighborhood. Just for that I like him too.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2022, 09:07 AM   #113
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I believe we could get roster players from a number of teams, nevermind picks and prospects. Those are just teams I mentioned off the top of my head.

I actually posted a Wilson proposal a few weeks ago- not going to happen as he's a very important player for the Caps, and he had knee surgery this summer and is expected to be out until January (I think?). If we could get him, he would be extremely impactful, if he's the same player he was before the surgery.
But this is the point. What team that needs a Hanifin to push them over the top has a really good RW that's expendable?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:08 AM   #114
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

So we are trading Weegar a potential #1 dman for what we have been saying ad nauseum here prospects? Kravstsov and Kakko are essentially prospects who haven't shown much. How does that help with the goal of winning a cup this year?
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2022, 09:25 AM   #115
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is a pressure tactic if they are engaged in real negotiations. Sign him by the season opener or he is saying he will be going UFA.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:33 AM   #116
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
It is a pressure tactic if they are engaged in real negotiations. Sign him by the season opener or he is saying he will be going UFA.
No he's not saying that at all.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:39 AM   #117
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weegar is extending here for 8 years.

Chill.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:45 AM   #118
UnitedFlames
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I don't think he's going to sign right now. He probably has a number in his head that he thinks he can get in free agency, and that's what he's going to hold out for. Can you blame him? All he has to do is look up the road and see what E=NG paid Nurse. All he has to do is wait for another team that's desperate like that, and he'll get paid.

What I'm trying to decide is, do I want the Flames to do something before the start of the season, or just completely go for it and hope he signs in July. I think the latter.
UnitedFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:50 AM   #119
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedFlames View Post
I don't think he's going to sign right now. He probably has a number in his head that he thinks he can get in free agency, and that's what he's going to hold out for...
If this were the case then I don't think there would be as much news as there has been about how the negotiations have been progressing. I continue to strongly believe that he will sign before the season starts.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:55 AM   #120
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think this is pretty tactical from the Weegar side. Flames have leverage right now. His market value is very good but not 8x7 good if that's where he wants to go. Pressure tactic to get it done before season starts or risk him walking. But risky if he can't duplicate his career year this season - then the numbers are lower whether that's here or somewhere else in the summer. I think it just draws out the Flames' best offer and I think it will get done. Still lots of time.

https://calgaryhockeynow.com/calgary...otte-friedman/
Steve Macfarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve Macfarlane For This Useful Post: