Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2022, 09:30 AM   #1
fulham
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default HR Complaint Question

I have a close personal friend who moved from Halifax to EDM with her family in November incurring great expense specifically for new role.

From day 1 she was subjected to a toxic work environment, and continuous harassment. This finally broke her, as she had no support network in EDM.

She had a talk with her supervisor who is remote with the intention to quit. The supervisor convinced her to talk to HR as they don’t want to lose her. She did and HR substantiated the harassment complaint and sent her a letter outlining the investigation. They said they would “address it appropriately” but he’s instrumental to the business.

She can work 100% remotely. Her supervisor already does. She has permission from her supervisor to do so. She has no issue staying in the role remotely however HR has informed her she is expected back in the office. Where she will be alienated as the one who went to HR(they interviewed 10 people about it).

Should she get a lawyer? Or is she best to just give her 2 weeks and quit? She’s willing to eat the $10,000 left on her lease just to go home however I feel she must have some leverage with a signed substantiated complaint.

Long winded I apologize

Last edited by fulham; 09-25-2022 at 01:58 PM.
fulham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:35 AM   #2
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, without knowing what the company is like, if her boss is good with her working remotely can they not just keep HR out of it at that point?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2022, 10:16 AM   #3
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should talk to a lawyer. Based on the circumstances she could be entitled to much more in severance given that she moved across the country for this role(assuming the new role was with the same company), how big of a factor the complaint is going to be would depend on the details of the complaint, which you probably shouldn’t share online.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2022, 09:16 PM   #4
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well if he is instrumental to the business then I guess this is ok, despite what 10 other people think

Is this company hockey Canada? They sound terrible. Some people working from home, others not…..keeping buddy despite documented information
Old 09-26-2022, 02:22 PM   #5
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd drop the location names from OP and I'd also change all gender related verbiage. It's still too much specific info.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 02:24 PM   #6
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulham View Post
I have a close personal friend who moved from Halifax to EDM with her family in November incurring great expense specifically for new role.

From day 1 she was subjected to a toxic work environment, and continuous harassment. This finally broke her, as she had no support network in EDM.

She had a talk with her supervisor who is remote with the intention to quit. The supervisor convinced her to talk to HR as they don’t want to lose her. She did and HR substantiated the harassment complaint and sent her a letter outlining the investigation. They said they would “address it appropriately” but he’s instrumental to the business.

She can work 100% remotely. Her supervisor already does. She has permission from her supervisor to do so. She has no issue staying in the role remotely however HR has informed her she is expected back in the office. Where she will be alienated as the one who went to HR(they interviewed 10 people about it).

Should she get a lawyer? Or is she best to just give her 2 weeks and quit? She’s willing to eat the $10,000 left on her lease just to go home however I feel she must have some leverage with a signed substantiated complaint.

Long winded I apologize
I would strongly encourage her to seek legal advice before quitting (which is a decision which may seriously affect her legal rights and remedies).
Old 09-26-2022, 02:32 PM   #7
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
I would strongly encourage her to seek legal advice before quitting (which is a decision which may seriously affect her legal rights and remedies).
Ditto.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 02:40 PM   #8
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulham View Post

Long winded I apologize
How do you know she will be alienated as the one who went to HR? Perhaps the other people agree that this indivuaal is toxic? Do the other people even know she was the one that complained?
Sure they might be able to deduce it but typically HR would keep your friend's identity confidential and just say that "There has been a complaint" and interview everyone, so while they might suspect, or she might think they know they probably actually don't. Questions are usually going to be along the lines of "Have you ever observed Jim doing x y z" rather than "have you ever observed Jim doing x y z to Jill" to protect her identity.

Obviously the ideal outcome of an investigation (from her perspective) is termination, but I think the company can defend themselves pretty well if they did *something*. For instance, if they gave the individual a final written warning and said further behaviour like this won't be tolerated HR wouldn't tell her that.

That said, if she was working remote, can continue to work remote that seems like a reasonable accommodation but then, some companies are dumb about remote work and employers can make coming to the office can be a condition of employment. What does her supervisor think? If her supervisor can push "she doesn't need to be in the office and I am ok with her working remote" that might wind up with better results.

Without knowing details and what HR actually did about the complaint it's hard to say. If she was recruited from EDM --> Halifax and can prove that it was a toxic work environment and she was forced to quit because of harassment or that she was retaliated against because of her complaint there could be a healthy package to recoup costs and damages, but IAMNAL.

Last edited by Torture; 09-26-2022 at 02:50 PM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote