Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default iTunes Frustrations

Ok, so I got an 80GB iPod Classic for Christmas, and I've ripped all my CDs and other music onto it via iTunes. I've also lately been putting the album artwork on for all the songs, but when I go to the Cover Flow in my iPod after updating it, the artwork just shows as black. I've found different pictures, different sizes; everything. And still, some album artwork will not show up.

Another thing: I have artists who happen to have the same album name (e.g. Alan Jackson and Jessica Andrews both have an album called 'Who I Am'), and despite filling in the 'album artist' info correctly, all the songs from both albums are showing up in both places. It's really frustrating because I have a series of Greatest Hits albums by different artists, but they all end up pooled together.

Help me. Please
Flamesguy_SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Can't answer your specific concerns, but...

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

Been using this for a while and I like it, don't seem to have the same album art issues that I had with iTunes and Windows Media Player.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Can't answer your specific concerns, but...

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

Been using this for a while and I like it, don't seem to have the same album art issues that I had with iTunes and Windows Media Player.
I'm surprised a program called MediaMonkey doesn't support .ape
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

OK- album art initially frustrated me on my ipod touch- i had problems like what you mentioned.

First of all, don't let itunes add your album art. You have to do it yourseld cuttting and pasting from the web song by song! It's tedious, i know- but it's the only way i have gotten album art to show up for every song on my ipod- and it sticks around.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
Shawn_Cronin44
Farm Team Player

Exp:

To add art to my songs I use a program called iArt. It interacts with iTunes really well. It searches Amazon for the album covers and adds it to the songs. Other options include searching for tracks missing art work, searching for tracks with multiple art work and also includes some lyrics finding options that I haven't used.

http://www.ipodsoft.com/site/pmwiki.php?n=iart.Homepage
Shawn_Cronin44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:46 AM   #6
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Wow, great find! Thanks for sharing that.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:17 AM   #7
Shawn_Cronin44
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Another tip for iTunes users that's unrelated to album art... The Sound Check option in iTunes used to do (maybe still does) a miserable job of equalizing volume. If you're unhappy with the results of Sound Check, try equalizing the volume levels of your songs using iGain / mp3gain. It's a freeware app that does a good job. It's not especially quick but the results are well worth the wait.

http://altosdesign.com/iGain/
Shawn_Cronin44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:46 PM   #8
Nikki
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I have a different iTunes question. Some of the CDs I burned into iTunes list the songs numerically without the name. I am hoping there is something out there so I don't have to go into each song and populate the title. Suggestions?

TIA
Nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:46 PM   #9
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
I have a different iTunes question. Some of the CDs I burned into iTunes list the songs numerically without the name. I am hoping there is something out there so I don't have to go into each song and populate the title. Suggestions?

TIA
I suggested this in another thread. Tried it out myself, works pretty well... http://musicbrainz.org/doc/PicardTagger

Will scan the audio, extracting a fingerprint of the song. It then searches its online database with the fingerprint, and auto-populates the ID3 tags on the MP3s. Now, I don't use iTunes myself, so I don't know if the files it rips can be read by Picard. If they are MP3s, there won't be a problem. Not sure about AAC files.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote