Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2019, 03:12 AM   #121
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we just arrest Fraser Anning already for publicly supporting a terrorist? He was back at it again tonight trying to kick start the “Conservative Nationalist Party”. Such a tool. At least he was egged. Not every hero wears a cape.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1106801008661815296
Old 03-16-2019, 04:19 AM   #122
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
Oh #### you.
Such an articulate and well thought out response. Well done.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 08:23 AM   #123
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Ok so before the thread gets locked... the shooter was actively trying to further division. It was no accident he praised Trump’s influence on the rise of white nationalism while criticizing his politics. Liberal sites point out the former while places like “The Donald” use the latter to defend Trump as usual.

Speaking of The Donald, Reddit banned a bunch of “gore” subreddits that feature violence but T_D praises Anning’s hateful letter and gets to stay.

I don’t condone the kid egging Anning but hitting him back was a stupid move. He should have just had him arrested, like Klein did when he got pied, but Anning’s a piece of #### so it’s to be expected that he met (a tiny bit of) violence with violence.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:34 AM   #124
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon24

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
So you're quoting brian eno now even though you admitted you have sigs disabled? It's just for our pleasure then? Your politics are also pretty suspect! Frig off

Maybe 49 dead is not the ideal spot to show interesting idealistic colours. But that's probably just me
I have no idea what the second part of your post means, but as to the first part, someone asked me to change my signature, and I figured it had been the same for a while, so I did. Not sure why that's bad.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:57 AM   #125
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be better if it wasn't soooo...bold.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 09:50 AM   #126
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Quite good but he needs to familiarize himself with Finsbury Park Mosque, particularly when taking about terrorism.
Rather than keeping us guessing about what type of repugnant calculus you’ve got going on in your head, maybe you should explain what you mean?
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:58 AM   #127
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Is it time to talk about how white terrorists...sorry I mean lone wolves are now a far bigger threat here in the west than the Jihadists, who for the most part are stuck in their own back yards.

Also Pewdiepie is a gateway drug to the altriech mainly because of YouTube's screwed up algorithms? His videos get linked to gamergate and comicsgate crap because of that no? Actual question and if you can't answer politely just don't.

Last edited by Duruss; 03-16-2019 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Some wrong spelling
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #128
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It would be better if it wasn't soooo...bold.
Don't ever say I don't listen to you.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 12:53 PM   #129
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

what the hell...

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:17 PM   #130
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
Is it time to talk about how white terrorists...sorry I mean lone wolves are now a far bigger threat here in the west than the Jihadists, who for the most part are stuck in their own back yards.
This isn't a new thing though, which is I guess was sort of what I was trying to get at before my emotions got the better of me. Outside of 9/11, angry white men with guns have caused far more death and destruction in North America and much of the developed world than Islamic extremists. We've now had major mosque shootings in Canada, the U.S., and New Zealand (and I'm sure there are others I'm missing). At one point do we start holding the people, particularly politicians, who stoke the flames of extremism with dog-whistling and rhetoric, accountable?

It's not so much about tying good conservatives with the bad ones through association. It's about asking conservatives to take an honest appraisal of what their politicians are saying and why it seems to attract the violent, fringe elements, and maybe changing or toning down the rhetoric, especially on topics such as immigration. We have ample social media activity, literature, electoral, and real-world evidence now that the beliefs these shooters share aren't as fringe as we'd like to believe they are, even if most people who share similar beliefs wouldn't act upon them.

Historically the left has had violent anarchists and revolutionaries in its ranks, but there just really isn't a modern day left-wing equivalent to the racialized, conspiracy-driven rhetoric and violence coming from the far-right. Even if you want to bring Antifa into the equation, their numbers and the scale of violence completely pales in comparison to the full-scale rage and lunacy at the other end of the spectrum.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 01:23 PM   #131
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That kid with the egg is my hero. I hope he gets rewarded with mucho hook-up action.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:45 PM   #132
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
what the hell...

Obviously 49 people is the cutoff between maniac and not a maniac.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:45 PM   #133
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
what the hell...

Is this legit?
Old 03-16-2019, 03:05 PM   #134
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Obviously 49 people is the cutoff between maniac and not a maniac.
Looks like another person in NZ has passed from injuries so that makes 50. Now we have two maniacs.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:09 PM   #135
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
This isn't a new thing though, which is I guess was sort of what I was trying to get at before my emotions got the better of me. Outside of 9/11, angry white men with guns have caused far more death and destruction in North America and much of the developed world than Islamic extremists. We've now had major mosque shootings in Canada, the U.S., and New Zealand (and I'm sure there are others I'm missing). At one point do we start holding the people, particularly politicians, who stoke the flames of extremism with dog-whistling and rhetoric, accountable?

It's not so much about tying good conservatives with the bad ones through association. It's about asking conservatives to take an honest appraisal of what their politicians are saying and why it seems to attract the violent, fringe elements, and maybe changing or toning down the rhetoric, especially on topics such as immigration. We have ample social media activity, literature, electoral, and real-world evidence now that the beliefs these shooters share aren't as fringe as we'd like to believe they are, even if most people who share similar beliefs wouldn't act upon them.

Historically the left has had violent anarchists and revolutionaries in its ranks, but there just really isn't a modern day left-wing equivalent to the racialized, conspiracy-driven rhetoric and violence coming from the far-right. Even if you want to bring Antifa into the equation, their numbers and the scale of violence completely pales in comparison to the full-scale rage and lunacy at the other end of the spectrum.
Nice identitarian spin on things. Fact: Most mass shootings in the places you speak of are not politically motivated. Fact: There is a small percent of people who are capable of caring out these types of crimes that come in all shapes and sizes. So go ahead! Throw all those pesky cons in the slammer and pat your self on the back cause you've eliminated mass shootings!
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MelBridgeman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 03:13 PM   #136
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
Nice identitarian spin on things. Fact: Most mass shootings in the places you speak of are not politically motivated. Fact: There is a small percent of people who are capable of caring out these types of crimes that come in all shapes and sizes. So go ahead! Throw all those pesky cons in the slammer and pat your self on the back cause you've eliminated mass shootings!
Sources?
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:15 PM   #137
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post

Well, it’s hard to argue this. School shooters, and spree killers are predominantly white males. As a society, we need to find a way to circumvent this ####. It will take some out side of the box thinking I suppose.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:22 PM   #138
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Is this legit?
Yes.

And now there are reports of a shooting at the University of Michigan at an event commemorating the NZ attacks:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1107024496240791552

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:22 PM   #139
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Well, it’s hard to argue this. School shooters, and spree killers are predominantly white males. As a society, we need to find a way to circumvent this ####. It will take some out side of the box thinking I suppose.
But why is that? Whites are what 60 percent (USA) of the population so that accounts for some of it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MelBridgeman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 03:27 PM   #140
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
Sources?
it's the old correlation doesn't equal causation. I'd rather focus on the the solutions and not the bi partisan political rhetoric some do. The source is decades of research and not click baitie partisan digital media outlets.

Quote:
But if we want to stop mass shootings before they happen, it isn't extreme beliefs or motives we should be focusing on — it's the antisocial, violent and threatening behavior, ideological or not, of those around us.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...917-story.html

The source for my second point - history