Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #61
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

This all reminds me of when the media went after Marilyn Manson because the Columbine shooters were fans.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #62
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luder View Post
Just did a quick google on Pewdiepie, take it for what it's worth:

https://www.vox.com/2018/12/13/18136...-right-redpill
He recommended an E;R (YouTuber) video criticisng the live action Death Note Netflix adaptation. The video is actually bang on as to why Netflix's version sucks, but E;R himself is particularly edgy with some alt-right jokes thrown into his videos. It's unlikely that PewDiePie identified these when he recommended the video (there's only one subtle one in the Death Note video), but since removed his recommendation.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #63
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

The wannabe edgelord video game youtuber is the real victim here. Jesus Christ some of you guys are unbelievable.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 11:24 AM   #64
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I think it's a fair place for you guys to have the discussion. My 11-year-old son watches PDP and I've never checked in to see if he was a problem, but this has my attention, which is annoying if it's unwarranted as Ashasx is saying. If I should be concerned, I'm curious to hear more.
He has his defenders, and he has his detractors. And, he has a history of using racist, sexist, homophobic and antisemitic commentary under the guise of "it was just a joke, bro".

https://web.archive.org/web/20170216...ism-alt-right/
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 11:26 AM   #65
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

This dude's manifesto is truly insane, but the part of it that sticks out to me most is this:

So... he hates Muslim "invaders" because they are colonizing white lands and threatening white people as a majority, while simultaneously ignoring that colonialism is how white people become so dominant in the first place.

But you can't expect rationality from a guy like this, obviously. Man, this all just makes me feel sick.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #66
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
The wannabe edgelord video game youtuber is the real victim here. Jesus Christ some of you guys are unbelievable.
I’m certainly not viewing him as a victim, and I don’t believe others are. I don’t even follow him, I just know who he is.

The question was raised as to why the terrorist would mention the YouTuber. The answer is: to cause further division. That’s it.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:29 AM   #67
ynwa03
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Yeah dude, I'm bowing out.

This is not the thread for this slapfight, I answered a question, you took umbrage with the fact that I correctly pointed out that PewDiePie is an alt-right figure who follows and retweets and supports other alt-right figures. If that's your hill to die on, fill your boots.

But meme-based murder sprees are shockingly unsurprising coming from the movement involved here.
You've been right about everything so far in this thread except this.

I really don't like Pewdiepie, and find him extremely annoying, but he is nowhere near alt-right, or supporting alt-right. There are no hills here, and you are not correct on this point.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:29 AM   #68
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Nobody is saying he's the victim, but having somebody shout your name before committing several atrocities which you vehemently disagree with (and have been outspoken against) with would be a sickening feeling and I don't envy him.

PewDiePie closed his subreddit and is linking to a donation for the victims: https://www.reddit.com/r/PewdiepieSubmissions/

Last edited by Ashasx; 03-15-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #69
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
I have to wonder what, if anything, can be done about terrorists, murderers or mass shooters live-streaming their attacks like this. I didn't catch the video thankfully, but I can imagine a lot of people saw it and were probably really effected and traumatized by it. It's so disturbing that this kind of thing can be broadcast live.

Unfortunately a friend of mine shared it in a group chat so I did watch it and it was utterly terrifying . The calmness of the shooter is something that I can’t even comprehend. It’s always scary knowing what 1 person can do, but actually seeing it is beyond horrifying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:42 AM   #70
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The bigger problem is autoplay and using link redirects. Lots of people will end up seeing portions of the video unwittingly.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:43 AM   #71
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 49 dead in mosque shootings in Christchurch, NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
This dude's manifesto is truly insane, but the part of it that sticks out to me most is this:

So... he hates Muslim "invaders" because they are colonizing white lands and threatening white people as a majority, while simultaneously ignoring that colonialism is how white people become so dominant in the first place.

But you can't expect rationality from a guy like this, obviously. Man, this all just makes me feel sick.

I think it’s important to not try and rationalize a deranged individuals world view. He says he’s an “eco fascist”. Like what...

This event only reinforces my dislike for politicians when I see members on all sides of the political spectrum politicizing this to fit an agenda, not even 24 hours after it occurred. That’s exactly what these killers wanted. More divisiveness.

Last edited by Beninho; 03-15-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 11:48 AM   #72
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post

I mean, one can realistically view both their side and the enemy as invaders.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:59 AM   #73
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stuff like this is always sad and shocking, although not so surprising anymore. It seems especially disturbing that something of this magnitude would happen in a country with a reputation like that of New Zealand.

Although I do have a friend here from New Zealand and she told me that racism is pretty common in New Zealand on the street level there. She said that saying racist things in conversation is normal in social situations, but she doesn't think it manifests itself into actions often.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #74
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
I think it’s important to not try and rationalize a deranged individuals world view. He says he’s an “eco fascist”. Like what...

This event only reinforces my dislike for politicians when I see members on all sides of the political spectrum politicizing this to fit an agenda, not even 24 hours after it occurred. That’s exactly what these killers wanted. More divisiveness.

Yeah--I agree. His manifesto is clearly deranged and not worth reading, and like I said it's pointless to expect any rationality at all from him or it.

This event needs to be looked at, first and foremost, as a tragedy for the victims and their families. Politicizing this event before addressing the needs of those affected makes absolutely no sense. We need to stand with the victims instead of trying to place blame upon them for existing.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 12:07 PM   #75
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Stuff like this is always sad and shocking, although not so surprising anymore. It seems especially disturbing that something of this magnitude would happen in a country with a reputation like that of New Zealand.

Although I do have a friend here from New Zealand and she told me that racism is pretty common in New Zealand on the street level there. She said that saying racist things in conversation is normal in social situations, but she doesn't think it manifests itself into actions often.
Based on what I've read so far, the attackers were from Australia. There is a lot of rampant racism, xenophobia and sexism in Australia.

New Zealanders are some of the best people I've ever encountered, in general. Although, I'm sure, just like anywhere, that there are plenty of a-holes.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:07 PM   #76
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
This is one of the most appalling things I’ve ever read.
Sadly there are millions of people in the world that agree with him, many of whom grew up an era where the very large majority of terrorist attacks were grossly committed in the name of Islam. I am not offering any sort of excuse for their views but in the internet/social media age dating back to even before 9/11 its all they have been exposed to.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #77
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Based on what I've read so far, the attackers were from Australia. There is a lot of rampant racism, xenophobia and sexism in Australia.

New Zealanders are some of the best people I've ever encountered, in general. Although, I'm sure, just like anywhere, that there are plenty of a-holes.
Yeah, it's hard to think of a country with a better reputation. Pulling something like this off in a country that has had to learn vigilance would have been more difficult. The attackers probably saw New Zealand as a "soft target".
Old 03-15-2019, 12:20 PM   #78
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

And of course we continue to see headlines like today out of the Iranian theocracy:

Iranian lawyer who defended women who removed their hijabs sentenced to 38 years and 148 lashes, husband says

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...s-husband-says

Where is the Muslim outrage to this?

The world is truly f%^&d up.

Last edited by Manhattanboy; 03-15-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #79
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
And of course we continue to see headlines like today out of the Iranian theocracy:

Iranian lawyer who defended women who removed their hijabs sentenced to 38 years and 148 lashes, husband says

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...s-husband-says

The world is truly f%^&d up.
The #### does this have to do with a mosque shooting?

I mean, I think I know, but it'd be fun to see you try to justify posting this in this thread.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #80
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The #### does this have to do with a mosque shooting?

I mean, I think I know, but it'd be fun to see you try to justify posting this in this thread.
Just an observation of the headlines today on the National Post's website.