Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-26-2020, 03:00 PM   #1
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Where are you taking your family this summer...

... besides camping? Usually we’ll spend some time in BC and/or a road trip to the US. Neither is happening this year for obvious reasons. Anyone have any plans or ideas for a nice family “vacation” nearby?

Also, my kids are not into overnight camping but a day trip out to K-Country might be in the cards...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 03:35 PM   #2
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fernie for the weekend. Staying in a best western and will spend the days going out into the wilderness
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2020, 03:53 PM   #3
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Week in Canmore and later a week in the Okanagan if this story about locals loosening wheel nuts doesn’t scare us off.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:01 PM   #4
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Week in Canmore and later a week in the Okanagan if this story about locals loosening wheel nuts doesn’t scare us off.
I keep a AB registered car there and nothing's happened to me yet, luckily. One guy even stopped me outside a liquor store just North of Kelowna and thanked me for still supporting tourism here despite all the ####### news storys

Last edited by btimbit; 07-26-2020 at 04:05 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:45 PM   #5
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I wouldn't want to take my kids to a hotel right now. They are strange places now with a ton of new Covid rules. I wouldn't think it will be much fun for kids.

Airbnb or VRBO or something like that might be better.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:46 PM   #6
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Straight to hell with a left turn at Edmonoton.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2020, 08:31 PM   #7
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Already did it. Just spent the last two months in Asheville, North Carolina. It's a place that is like the Austin of the Southeast, but not as big. Lots of culture. It has more microbreweries per capita than any place in America. Plus, loads of natural beauty as well. If you're ever in the area, take some time to check it out.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2020, 09:24 PM   #8
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post

there's been lots of reports of people being rude/stupid towards out of province visitors here in bc - which is really frustrating. the story of the loosened lug nuts is absolutely sickening - how could anyone do that to someone's vehicle? i just don't get it.

i understand that people are frustrated, but come on - the lug nut loosening could have killed a family.

i know the "out of province dislike" has definitely increased in the last few weeks since the covid outbreak in kelowna. a woman from calgary traveled here for a good time even though she was feeling sick enough before she left to get a covid test, but didn't wait for the results before she came here - and yea... she was positive and was the starting point for the kelowna outbreak.

the fact that she was sick enough to get a covid test and then still traveled here before having her results is absolutely infuriating. i would be understanding if she had no symptoms, but if you are sick enough to think "i better get tested for covid" there is no way you should be traveling! am i mad at HER - absolutely! am i mad at every out of province vehicle i see - not at all. i know the vast majority of people have the common sense and decency to stay home if they are feeling sick during this pandemic.

hopefully any travel to bc leaves you with awesome memories and a desire to come back soon!
Old 07-26-2020, 11:00 PM   #9
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

There are a ton of factors that could cause a lug but to loosen. I would be hard pressed to assume malice by someone in BC. Not many do it, but it is a good idea to check the torque before heading out on a road trip, it takes 2 minutes and should be considered as routine as checking the pressures and fluids.
I just read a news article, lady believes it was vandalism. What is more troubling is that, while her children were in the vehicle, she thought she maybe had a flat tire and yet continued to drive down the highway. If your vehicle suddenly makes bizarre sounds and driving funny, pull over when safe to do so and check it out.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:44 AM   #10
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

we went to kelowna for a week in mid-july. we stayed at a condo complex (playa del sol), right near the eldorado hotel. We had no issues at all.

i am headed to fernie next week for some biking and stayuing in a rented condo.

i think that the fear/anger/distrust is gone and that folks realize that travellers are helping their economy
Old 07-27-2020, 07:36 AM   #11
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Is it responsible to take the family anywhere now, besides camping? Serious question.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2020, 07:57 AM   #12
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bought tickets before the world went to hell to take my gf to Australia to meet my family.
Departing Dec 23.
Have no idea if we'll be able to go yet or not.
Ben_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:10 AM   #13
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i think BC is advertising that they are "open" for business and welcome to your tourism dollars

i guess my thought is that there is a risk out there weather or not you are somewhere here in Calgary, or another province and everyone has different risk tolerances.

i am not sure if some provinces still have quarantine protocols in place for in-Canada travellers or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Is it responsible to take the family anywhere now, besides camping? Serious question.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:12 AM   #14
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Valid question. In my case, I have assessed the risk and have a mitigation plan. We can't camp, my wife's back won't take sleeping in a tent and I don't have access to an RV of any kind.

So we are renting a condo on Vancouver Island. My plan includes:
  • Recent negative test - got our results Saturday.
  • We are still not participating in Phase 2 of the opening, haven't been to a restaurant or bar.
  • We will be driving out straight shot, have planned our fuel and bathroom stops to minimize interactions
  • We have a container of wipes, sanitizer, masks, gloves, etc
  • We will bring some of our groceries.
  • We don't plan on doing much besides reading and watching the ocean.

The community we are staying in has low case numbers and we don't want to impact that. With doing a bit more than we are already doing at home I feel it is a manageable risk.

Since March shut down, I've been at 50+ hours a week and my wife is in health care. We are both pretty burned out and need a change of scenery from WFH.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2020, 08:18 AM   #15
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Valid question. In my case, I have assessed the risk and have a mitigation plan. We can't camp, my wife's back won't take sleeping in a tent and I don't have access to an RV of any kind.

So we are renting a condo on Vancouver Island. My plan includes:
  • Recent negative test - got our results Saturday.
  • We are still not participating in Phase 2 of the opening, haven't been to a restaurant or bar.
  • We will be driving out straight shot, have planned our fuel and bathroom stops to minimize interactions
  • We have a container of wipes, sanitizer, masks, gloves, etc
  • We will bring some of our groceries.
  • We don't plan on doing much besides reading and watching the ocean.

The community we are staying in has low case numbers and we don't want to impact that. With doing a bit more than we are already doing at home I feel it is a manageable risk.

Since March shut down, I've been at 50+ hours a week and my wife is in health care. We are both pretty burned out and need a change of scenery from WFH.
I recently spent a week on the island - nothing but positive interactions with Locals in Sooke/Victoria. Where are you staying?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2020, 08:26 AM   #16
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I'm in and out of Fernie every weekend (I own property out there) and I have had zero issues with anyone anywhere. People are quite happy to see the "red plates" because they know it means money into the communities.

I recently got back into DH biking at the resort, and I have to say I'm having a heck of a summer. Biking and patio beers every weekend, and the pool in our resort is open so the kids get to hang out in the sun, and then go for a swim during the day in our allocated time slots.

Fernie in the summer is pretty damn amazing. I had heard it was good, but I didn't realize HOW good it is. Biking, camping, hiking, fishing, golfing, shopping, rafting, boating, spas, para gliding, brewery, restaurants, the list is endless and it's all right there.

Would recommend it to anyone for sure.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2020, 09:08 AM   #17
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Probably staying here all summer doing activities around the city we don't normally do - Prince Island Park, the zoo, outdoor water parks, Nose Hill Park, golfing, biking, Fish Creek Park....there are actually quite a few things to do right here in the city on weekends. We may even take a day trip or two out to Canmore and hike out there
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:12 AM   #18
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I recently spent a week on the island - nothing but positive interactions with Locals in Sooke/Victoria. Where are you staying?
Sooke area, it'll be our first visit out there. My sister works for a company that has condos there so she set us up. Glad to hear your visit went well.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:31 AM   #19
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Sooke area, it'll be our first visit out there. My sister works for a company that has condos there so she set us up. Glad to hear your visit went well.
Check out Mystic Beach. Its out towards Port Renfrew, but its about a 2 km easy hike down to the beach. Beautiful spot to hike in and hang out on the beach for a day taking in the sites and sounds. Stop in at Shirley Delicious for some fantastic food afterwards or Stoked Wood Fired Pizza for awesome pizza.

All 3 brewerys in Sooke are fantastic with Bad Dog being my favorite.

If you are a golfer and want to play a round, Olympic View is fantastic (I have only played in and Bear mountain in the area).
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2020, 11:09 AM   #20
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well camping is our normal vacation so even during non Covid times I would have nothing to add to 'what do you do other than camping' questions but I digress.

Summer vacation was torpedoed by Covid this year so we are missing out on our 'usual' trip to BC. Work situation changed for both my wife and myself and neither one of us will be able to take more than a day or two off this summer so going anywhere is pretty much out of the question now. Any by the time we found out, and cancelled our BC reservations it was too late to book anything in Alberta so we don't have any plans now.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote