Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #101
fulham
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Call WestJet immediately. If by direct you meant nonstop, your flight is not on a 737 anyway. WS2 LGW-YYC is flying normally on a 767.
Ok! you clearly know more than me!! I assumed it was a 737 based on it being all over their London advertising. Thanks for your help!, ill contact them to make sure.
fulham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #102
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new information motivating Canada's decision to ground has to do with satellite data and comparing Lion Air and this crash. There are similarities between the two that indicate common factors in both crashes.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:00 AM   #103
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure you're not confusing the WestJet advertising for the new 787 service coming up this spring?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #104
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulham View Post
So im travelling thru Europe on my way to London this weekend, to watch Fulham play.

We are scheduled to leave Monday morning from Gatwick on a Westjet Max 8 direct to Calgary. the UK have grounded them but Canada hasn't. where does this leave me if I haven't heard anything?
This would be a poor time to make a joke about Fulham "going down" this season, wouldn't it?

But in all seriousness, just check with WestJet. As others have mentioned, you wouldn't be on a 737 anyway if you were going from Gatwick to Calgary.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #105
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bunch of MAX's here now... interesting to see where they get towed on the field because we don't have a ton of extra space. A couple (AC to Vancouver and Toronto) were just getting ready to board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Canada grounds all Max 8 planes based on new information learned this morning. So what does Westjet do with its planes in Europe? Weird.
Same thing they would have done yesterday, given UK airspace had already been closed.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:04 AM   #106
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is US the only country left allowing them to fly?
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:06 AM   #107
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Is US the only country left allowing them to fly?
The only country of significance.

Edit: "significance" in terms of MAX planes operating.

Canada is huge as we represent about 12% of worldwide MAX ops of 350 frames between AC's 24, WestJet's 13 and Sunwing's 4

Last edited by Acey; 03-13-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:25 AM   #108
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Where can you find what plane would be the normal on your flight? YYC-PHX I believe uses 737-700 or 737-800 but not positive
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:25 AM   #109
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How does the grounding work for planes already in the air? Are they allowed to continue to their final destination or are they required to return to their originating airport?

WestJet has a few in the air right now, some to the States and some in Canada. Are the planes that flew to the States allowed to return to Canada, or are they stuck in their destination?

Edit: Got a partial answer listening to the Marc Garneau press conference. Planes already in the air will be able to continue their flights.

Link to press conference: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/gar...rash-1.5054234

Last edited by stazzy33; 03-13-2019 at 10:34 AM.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:25 AM   #110
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yikes.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1105766895662309376
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:28 AM   #111
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post

Yeah that's what I was waiting for. You'd be nuts to fly in one of those things now.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:29 AM   #112
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Where can you find what plane would be the normal on your flight? YYC-PHX I believe uses 737-700 or 737-800 but not positive
https://flightaware.com/live/findfli...stination=KPHX

Gives you an idea of which planes fly for each operator. Looks like WestJet had a MAX scheduled for tomorrow.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #113
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
The ADIRU is the sensor. (one of two and only one on at one time). ADIRU sensor malfunctioning and giving faulty data is what caused the MCAS to take control of the plane on the Lion Air crash and having it nosedive.
I don't know where you're getting your information, but the ADIRU malfunctioning as a whole would not cause MCAS to engage. A failing ADIRU would kill all of your instruments, not trigger MCAS to trim the nose down.

In the Sunwing incident, the left side ADIRU malfunctioned, which caused the Captain's instruments to fail. The second ADIRU, which supplies the right side instruments, was still working, so the First Officer simply took over control of the plane, and they landed safely.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:32 AM   #114
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
Gives you an idea of which planes fly for each operator. Looks like WestJet had a MAX scheduled for tomorrow.
Looking here on the sked directly from WS I can already tell you 1402 wasn't going to be a MAX tomorrow anyway. There will be a ton of swaps... give it a few hours and then call WS (expect to be on the phone all day) and they'll have something somewhat definitive. Do not look at any flight tracker on the internet because I'm telling you right now they're wrong.

Or just wait and fly on whatever type they have for you... it won't be a MAX so there's nothing to worry about at this point.

Both WestJet and Air Canada will be going through a process in the coming hours of determining if all flights can be covered; the answer is obviously no so they then start deciding which flights are the easiest to rebook people on other carriers, can be covered by larger planes in the case of AC, et al. So even if your flight was not ever showing as a MAX it could still get scrubbed as those frames will cover flying on sectors they deem to be most important, particularly in the case of WestJet. In fairness, in some form, this process likely began for both airlines within hours of Ethiopian.

Last edited by Acey; 03-13-2019 at 10:45 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 10:34 AM   #115
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Who Says The Boeing 737 MAX Is Safe? The U.S. Pilots Who Fly It

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed.../#3843c7f225fc
Except for the ones who didn't: https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ed-safety-flaw
Old 03-13-2019, 10:44 AM   #116
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

And..........now grounded in Canada as well. I was just about to call Air Canada and swap my flight. I have a return flight with United but they do not use the 737 max 8, they have a 737-800 which is an older plane.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/gar...rash-1.5054234

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 03-13-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:47 AM   #117
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
WestJet has a few in the air right now, some to the States and some in Canada. Are the planes that flew to the States allowed to return to Canada, or are they stuck in their destination?

They are going to allow ferry/positioning flights with no passengers. So I'd assume aircraft will come back to Canada after those flights are completed.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:50 AM   #118
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
How does the grounding work for planes already in the air? Are they allowed to continue to their final destination or are they required to return to their originating airport?

Edit: Got a partial answer listening to the Marc Garneau press conference. Planes already in the air will be able to continue their flights.

Link to press conference: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/gar...rash-1.5054234
Looks like WS2152 is en route to PVR, there is going to be a whole bunch of stressed people in Puerto Vallarta who are expecting to get on the return leg of that flight.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:53 AM   #119
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

They'll ferry down an 800 and bring people back. The sky is not falling. There are worse places in the WS network to be stuck than PVR.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 10:54 AM   #120
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Looks like WS2152 is en route to PVR, there is going to be a whole bunch of stressed people in Puerto Vallarta who are expecting to get on the return leg of that flight.
That flight is likely going to be delayed or cancelled while WS gets a rescue 737-800 (non MAX) out there. (Edit: What Acey said)

Given what Bigtime just said, I suspect that 737 MAX might return to Canada with no passengers on board.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote