Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2019, 08:42 AM   #301
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used my S8 for its entirety without a screen protector (I could never apply one without getting dust underneath) and case. Outside of a few minor scratches, it held up well. I even dropped it from standing height several times with no glass breaks.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:43 AM   #302
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Can we all just admit that screen protectors suck? Most cases can be placed into the same category.
I completely agree about screen protectors but disagree on cases. I've never used a screen protector, with the glass they use on phones these days (and for years now) I think they are totally unnecessary. Cases still have a use though. I don't drop my phone often but it does happen and they can really save an expensive investment.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:08 AM   #303
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
I completely agree about screen protectors but disagree on cases. I've never used a screen protector, with the glass they use on phones these days (and for years now) I think they are totally unnecessary. Cases still have a use though. I don't drop my phone often but it does happen and they can really save an expensive investment.
I use a case as well as they do help when you inevitably drop your phone right on the corner. I'm just saying that they take so much away from the aesthetics of these new devices. Apple and Samsung put millions of dollars into designing a phone just to have us cover them up with an $8 piece of plastic. It's unfortunate that phones still can't deal with being dropped on the sidewalk.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:33 AM   #304
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have an OtterBox clear case on my Mate 20 Pro that provides drop protection while not covering the sweet Twilight backing.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #305
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Really loving my S10 so far. Early impressions, but it's my favorite new phone since my Galaxy Nexus many years ago.

It may sound weird, but it's just a beautiful phone. It makes me really want to treat it well. The build quality, the weight, the feel... all as good as it gets.

My only disappointment is the pre-installed screen protector. Whoever did my phone at Samsung did a terrible job and there were several obvious dust spots underneath it. I didn't expect such a poor job from a manufacturer. So I took it off immediately.
Haha I still haven't received my phone. I'm tracking it on Purolator. It was in Calgary Friday and Monday. Then yesterday afternoon it went on an adventure to Vancouver. At 2:00 a.m. this morning it was in Burnaby. Might just wait for the S11 at this point.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 02:46 PM   #306
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Think this thread is my best bet for help. I have a still image I want to animate so that it fades in and out with maybe a heart beat sound. What app should I use?

Last edited by Duruss; 03-16-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:53 PM   #307
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else curious about the Google Game Console announcement coming on Tuesday?
Old 03-16-2019, 04:13 PM   #308
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Anyone else curious about the Google Game Console announcement coming on Tuesday?
I am. I have a feeling it is going to be a very VR heavy console. Possibly totally VR.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:04 AM   #309
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the newest update to my S8, Samsung removed the option to turn off Bixby.

Already wasn't going to, but now I will definitely not be getting another Samsung this fall when I'm looking for a new phone
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:11 AM   #310
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do you mean?

The newest update should be giving you more functionality to ignore Bixby. Before, the Bixby button was hardmapped to only open Bixby. Now you can remap it to another app and never use Bixby again.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:24 AM   #311
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
What do you mean?

The newest update should be giving you more functionality to ignore Bixby. Before, the Bixby button was hardmapped to only open Bixby. Now you can remap it to another app and never use Bixby again.
Before I could disable it entirely. Now you can't, the button will always open to Bixby and if I swipe left on my home screen it's there again
The only option to change the Bixby button now is if you want it to open Bixby when you double tap or single tap it. That's all

Edit: Just looked around the internet too and it looks like I'm out of luck. Very dissapointing, trying to force you to use an app you don't like is very apple like

Last edited by btimbit; 04-05-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:20 PM   #312
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Before I could disable it entirely. Now you can't, the button will always open to Bixby and if I swipe left on my home screen it's there again
The only option to change the Bixby button now is if you want it to open Bixby when you double tap or single tap it. That's all

Edit: Just looked around the internet too and it looks like I'm out of luck. Very dissapointing, trying to force you to use an app you don't like is very apple like
Come to the Huawei side, we have fortune cookies!
Old 04-05-2019, 03:55 PM   #313
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Come to the Huawei side, we have fortune cookies!
Have considered it, they made the 6p after all and that might be the best phone I've ever had. Waiting to see what the next Pixel is like
Old 04-05-2019, 08:22 PM   #314
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post

you can download bxactions from the play store and it has an option to disable the button completely.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:42 AM   #315
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpooge View Post
you can download bxactions from the play store and it has an option to disable the button completely.
Did try that but it didn't seem to work. Mixed results around the web from people having success with it after the update, even doing the full remap from a pc
Old 04-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #316
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Icon36

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
I have a Samsung J3 Prime and about 2 months ago it did a system update for the Samsung Experience 9.5. Since the update my battery life is miserable. It's okay for a while but then goes into a freefall and I can literally watch the battery percentage counting down. It just went from 65% down to 28% in the last 5 minutes. It has stayed at 28% for the last several minutes. The freefall can happen at anytime and sometimes has gone right down to 2%.

If I check my apps they aren't using the power. I am questioning if it's actually at 28% right now or it just can't count anymore. If I plug it back in the battery percentage will jump a lot quicker than it used to.

I've tried clearing the cache partition several times but it hasn't helped. It looks like Samsung Experience 10 might be out now but hasn't been pushed through to my phone yet. Is there a way to download it somewhere and force the update?

Last resort is a full system reset but I'm trying to avoid that because I'll loose a lot of stuff.

Update: it was 28% when I turned it off last night and 40% when I turned it on this morning, only to fall to 16% in about a minute. It's now been at 16% for the last 1/2 hr.
Just thought I'd give an update on my garbage phone. I did a factory reset and it made no difference to the very erratic battery usage. The phone did some sort of security update a month or two ago and I was hopeful it would fix things but it didn't. So I did a battery recalibration (let it drain to 0 and turn itself off and then charge to 100 without touching anything). Not surprisingly it made no difference. So I bought a new battery and it didn't make any difference either.

I'm pretty fed up with Androids. I believe this is my 4th and they have all had issues. Next time around I might try my luck with a used, unlocked iPhone 6 or 7.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:47 PM   #317
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
Just thought I'd give an update on my garbage phone. I did a factory reset and it made no difference to the very erratic battery usage. The phone did some sort of security update a month or two ago and I was hopeful it would fix things but it didn't. So I did a battery recalibration (let it drain to 0 and turn itself off and then charge to 100 without touching anything). Not surprisingly it made no difference. So I bought a new battery and it didn't make any difference either.

I'm pretty fed up with Androids. I believe this is my 4th and they have all had issues. Next time around I might try my luck with a used, unlocked iPhone 6 or 7.
Maybe try another OS like Lineage? Most of the alternative Android OS's give you a lot more control over the device and may help. I'm not really familiar with that phone and how difficult it is to put another OS on it though.

Edit: Looks like it would work easily: https://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...xy-j3-t3667015
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #318
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

This feels like a noob question, but for an S8, is there any way to get the "Data Usage" icon onto your list of quick dropdown toggle icons? They had it in earlier iterations of the Galaxy series but for some reason removed it the past few years, I don't understand why.

My battery is so bad that I usually keep my data off unless someone sends me a multimedia clip in messenger, but for some reason a buddy lately has been sending me endless pics/vids of random crap. Having to do a 4 step process every time to turn my data on and off is super annoying.

Thanks if you can help!!

Last edited by Sainters7; 04-09-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:42 AM   #319
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

I have a Pixel 3 - it seems that every so often it'll vibrate like a notification has come through, but there's no notification that I can find (even in notification settings). Anyone else deal with this? Not a big issue, but can certainly be annoying.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #320
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
I have a Pixel 3 - it seems that every so often it'll vibrate like a notification has come through, but there's no notification that I can find (even in notification settings). Anyone else deal with this? Not a big issue, but can certainly be annoying.
Weird, with my Pixel 2 I seem to miss more notifications than I did with previous phones. The only knock on this great phone...
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote