Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #341
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

The camp fast travel is okay and I used it a ton but it feels like this game penalizes you too much for wanting to explore and hunt.

For instance. I was at my camp by Saint Denis and wanted to do a hunting challenge that was pretty far up north. So I fast travel to Valentine and then cinematic mode my horse the rest of the way. Once I get there I track and hunt down the animal I was looking for and some other perfect pelts for challenges. Then I have to cinematic my horse to the nearest fence which I think was Emerald town or something. Get there and trade the animal for trinkets, and then ride the rest of the way (again in cinematic) to my camp to drop off the other animals required to craft at my camp. This whole process takes way too long for a simple hunting challenge and even for main missions it just felt like i was riding my horse for 70% of the time. Which is honestly boring as hell after a while.

They could have fixed this easily too by implementing a better fast travel system. Even if you want to limit it a little and only allow travel to and from certain points. It's just so daunting to be at one end of the map and have to complete a challenge at the other end.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:30 PM   #342
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Once you unlock fast travel I feel getting around is manageable. You travel to the town close to your mission and it you plan things you can hit other missions, hunting, etc on your way back to camp. There are random encounters that happen when riding your horse that you miss out on if fast travel was enabled for everything so I can see why they made it the way they did. There's no doubt the pace of the game may not be for everyone if you are used to playing fast paced games but I enjoyed riding through these landscapes that are alive as it feels like more of an experience than your typical game and those programmers must have put hours and hours developing all these areas so I can see why they would want to show off their work.

I do agree that it would have been nice to be able to pick a few specific weapons that stayed equipped as for the most part I used the pump action shotgun and the Lancaster repeater so it did get tedious cycling through weapons everytime you got off your horse. I assume they had a reason for that in their own minds but it probably could have been done better.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #343
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, and don't get me wrong. It's an amazing world to travel through and definitely an achievement. But after a while it just got to be too much. I wrapped the original red dead with all the hunting challenges completed and explored way more of that map than I did with this one. That's because I wasn't burnt out on travelling.

Maybe a system like they had in God of War would be a better solution for this game's fast travel. Where you get no fast travel at the start, and then limited fast travel at a certain point, followed by the map being wide open for fast travel at the end. I'd definitely pop this game in after beating it if it meant that I could go wherever I wanted.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:21 PM   #344
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also hit a wall in RDR2 and needed a break for a while. It wasn't because of the controls (I've got the hang of them now), or the travelling (cinematic mode is glorious), or even getting sick of hearing Dutch say "I have a plan!", but because the immersion into this ultimately dark and depressing world was becoming too much for my fragile emotions.

I took a break since Christmas and just got back into it the other day. Turns out I was only a few hours away from completing the main story so I probably should have just stuck with it back then.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:10 PM   #345
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love the game and story. But I'm getting real fed up how my guy suddenly has the entire town after him guns blazing, when he simply nudges someone when trying to move around. LOL I guess that's part of the adventure. Just throws the flow of the game off, as it happens to me pretty regularly without even trying.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:22 PM   #346
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Love the game and story. But I'm getting real fed up how my guy suddenly has the entire town after him guns blazing, when he simply nudges someone when trying to move around. LOL I guess that's part of the adventure. Just throws the flow of the game off, as it happens to me pretty regularly without even trying.
Weird I never once have had this happen and am on my second playthrough. Are you running people down with your horse in towns or something?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:34 PM   #347
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just curious, how much money do you guys usually give your camp after a score? I know you get an achievement for giving $50 which I've already done, is there another achievement for higher? Is there a required % amount you're supposed to give after a score, and/or bonuses for it?

I just did a bank job with Bill, sitting on $3,500 now. I upgraded a few things at the camp and gave em $300 on top of that, but me now sitting at $2,500 and the camp at $300 after a gang score seems..lopsided. Feels like I should give more, but..is there even a point? Because if not, I'd rather use the money on guns, clothes and upgraded satchels.

Just curious how you guys managed that part of it after a big score.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:41 PM   #348
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I donate whatever I don’t need for guns and ammo so normally about 50%. I have no clue how this effects things but I haven’t had an issue where I haven’t had enough money in the game at any point.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:18 PM   #349
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Donate enough to buy all the camp upgrades. After that all it’s good for is replenishing supplies and raising your honour (assuming you’re playing as a good guy)
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 11:40 AM   #350
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
The camp fast travel is okay and I used it a ton but it feels like this game penalizes you too much for wanting to explore and hunt.

For instance. I was at my camp by Saint Denis and wanted to do a hunting challenge that was pretty far up north. So I fast travel to Valentine and then cinematic mode my horse the rest of the way. Once I get there I track and hunt down the animal I was looking for and some other perfect pelts for challenges. Then I have to cinematic my horse to the nearest fence which I think was Emerald town or something. Get there and trade the animal for trinkets, and then ride the rest of the way (again in cinematic) to my camp to drop off the other animals required to craft at my camp. This whole process takes way too long for a simple hunting challenge and even for main missions it just felt like i was riding my horse for 70% of the time. Which is honestly boring as hell after a while.

They could have fixed this easily too by implementing a better fast travel system. Even if you want to limit it a little and only allow travel to and from certain points. It's just so daunting to be at one end of the map and have to complete a challenge at the other end.
Yeah I agree. I'm actually really enjoying this game (but completely see how its not for everybody), but what you describe above is annoying. Not to mention if I actually decide to take the carcass to camp as well, I immediately feel the decomposing clock ticking and sprint back to camp. What's especially frustrating is there's so many random events happening that I have to ignore, due to this. Feels like I'm missing out.

Just last night I snagged my first perfect bison pelt, and on my way to the trapper, I ran into a stranger who wanted a lift. That would require me to ditch my pelt which is super annoying, I shouldn't have to choose like that. In the end I kept the pelt and denied his request, which sucks as I know how helping random strangers can pay off down the road. It's frustrating and yes tedious as well.

That said, I've noticed if you just head to the nearest town and catch either the train or stagecoach, your horse will meet you at your destination with the pelt still attached. Not as good as fast travel and yes its tedious, but better than racing across the entire map.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #351
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the attention to detail in this game..

I just got to chapter 4 (Saint Denis), so thought I'd exchange the cowboy look for an urban one; shaved off the mountain man beard to give him a handlebar moustache, chopped/pomade'd his hair, gave him a bowler hat, nice outfit and even a tie.

As I went back to camp, one of the women walked past me on the stairs and casually said "Hi, Trelawny".. I realized after I'm dressed and styled almost exactly like the smooth-talking British con man in your gang. So funny the game recognizes that to the point it decides some people would confuse you for him when looking like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2019, 09:04 AM   #352
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Yeah I agree. I'm actually really enjoying this game (but completely see how its not for everybody), but what you describe above is annoying. Not to mention if I actually decide to take the carcass to camp as well, I immediately feel the decomposing clock ticking and sprint back to camp. What's especially frustrating is there's so many random events happening that I have to ignore, due to this. Feels like I'm missing out.

Just last night I snagged my first perfect bison pelt, and on my way to the trapper, I ran into a stranger who wanted a lift. That would require me to ditch my pelt which is super annoying, I shouldn't have to choose like that. In the end I kept the pelt and denied his request, which sucks as I know how helping random strangers can pay off down the road. It's frustrating and yes tedious as well.

That said, I've noticed if you just head to the nearest town and catch either the train or stagecoach, your horse will meet you at your destination with the pelt still attached. Not as good as fast travel and yes its tedious, but better than racing across the entire map.
Early in the game I felt like that but deeper into the game I realized that a lot of the game is based on choices. What's more important to you the bison pelt or helping out a person? For some reason I have an issue being the villain in these games so I'm always the goody goody guy that tries to do the right thing and help everyone as I didn't hold up anyone that wasn't required by the main storyline. There's so many random encounters that missing out on a few is not a big deal.

First things first I advise any player starting out in this game to tame an Arabian white horse as early as possible as she's a blazer and speeds up transportation and the earlier you get her the faster you can max out her attributes and build a bond. There's actually a touching moment near the end of the game between Arthur and his horse. Also she's a beauty so you will get comments from strangers all the time about what a beautiful horse she is. As far as travel goes in the beginning I also felt it was tedious but deeper into the game when I knew the end was coming I was a little sad that I would soon no longer be riding through these beautiful landscapes and it really didn't bother me any longer as I started appreciating the massive living, breathing, environment the developers made for us to explore. There's just something about the living and breathing environment in this game that other open games like Far Cry or AC haven't been able to match. To me at least it felt special.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 03-09-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2019, 01:57 PM   #353
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Early in the game I felt like that but deeper into the game I realized that a lot of the game is based on choices. What's more important to you the bison pelt or helping out a person? For some reason I have an issue being the villain in these games so I'm always the goody goody guy that tries to do the right thing and help everyone as I didn't hold up anyone that wasn't required by the main storyline. There's so many random encounters that missing out on a few is not a big deal.

First things first I advise any player starting out in this game to tame an Arabian white horse as early as possible as she's a blazer and speeds up transportation and the earlier you get her the faster you can max out her attributes and build a bond. There's actually a touching moment near the end of the game between Arthur and his horse. Also she's a beauty so you will get comments from strangers all the time about what a beautiful horse she is. As far as travel goes in the beginning I also felt it was tedious but deeper into the game when I knew the end was coming I was a little sad that I would soon no longer be riding through these beautiful landscapes and it really didn't bother me any longer as I started appreciating the massive living, breathing, environment the developers made for us to explore. There's just something about the living and breathing environment in this game that other open games like Far Cry or AC haven't been able to match. To me at least it felt special.
Oh totally, couldn't agree more about all of that. Yeah I have trouble being a bad guy as well in these games, that was the first time I haven't helped someone (helping people has paid off for me down the road a few times already; a free shotgun for one) so I hated missing that. But dang it I was right outside my camp after a long ride and wanted that pelt for Pearson crafting! What could've been..

And yeah I've really settled in with this game and even enjoy the pace, its such a beautiful, incredibly detailed world. Watching a storm roll in - especially with good headphones or speakers - is the best. The only thing that still irks me a bit is I wish the game remembered which guns I was using last and just kept it set to that, having it reset to nothing selected on your wheel every time you get on your horse is a little tedious. In the heat of the moment I forget sometimes, jump off for a firefight, and have nothing but my pistols the entire level. Aside from that I'm enjoying everything about it, so hooked.

EDIT: Thanks for the head's up on the Arabian, I Google'd it after reading that and see where to get him now. I literally just bought a thoroughbread so I feel guilty at present ditching him ha-ha, I'll give it a week or two and get my white Arabian.

Tags
cows , guns , horses , red dead redemption , wild west