Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-02-2019, 04:51 PM   #3081
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Oh and I did enjoy when Mavila kicked the ball into Borges face! I was completely against him being on the field, aside from that!
He stayed down longer the two times his ankles got tapped, once in the first half and once in the second, then after a blast to the face.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:51 PM   #3082
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Also, as a general thought on soccer, I really hate how referees let goalkeepers waste 30+ seconds repeatedly until throwing out a feeble and pointless yellow card. Things like that should be a yellow the very first time it happens. Be it in the 80th minute or the first.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 04:54 PM   #3083
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I think it is for the best that that joke of a match never made it onto CBC. Because Hamilton's behaviour was embarrassing. So much time wasting, so much diving and acting, and so little interest in actually playing. And, as we all predicted, the referee both rewarded them for that, and then became the story in the dying seconds on what very well could have been a Cavalry penalty.

What really frustrates me, however, is that we still should have won today. It's easy to focus on how Bob Young's team in Bob Young's league under the supervision of Bob Young's national association bought the trophy Bob Young expected to be given from the outset. But we were just god awful inside the box. I can think of one, maybe two plays where a ball put into the 18 yard box was either on target, or where a player got to the ball. We beat ourselves as much as anything else. And that makes the way such a great season ended just that much worse.
It's definitely the case that you have to finish your chances. There was a free header in the first half from Zator that had to be on target. And the Malonga miss in the second half was just a must score as well. We had chances and just didn't convert.

That said, partly due to bus parking by Forge and partly because they could just foul repeatedly and face no consequence, we struggled to open them up.

Oh well. They can have their crystal ashtray. We all know we won the league and were clearly the best team in the league.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 04:57 PM   #3084
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

They had so many decent free kick chances from within range, but I don't recall any of them being intended to be on net, all were crossed in. Yes it's been a bread and butter for the team, but with all the corners, and Pasquotti throws, maybe a direct shot at goal would've been useful.

This goalie is shocking on decision making and that was a weakness, but not sure if he was much better shot stopping, so he should've been tested once or twice at least for that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 05:03 PM   #3085
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Well, ####. Maybe I'll add more later, buts that's all I feel for now.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:04 PM   #3086
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in seat 35 of row one in section 200. Could someone please tell me who the moron is that takes it upon himself to spend the second half against the railing in the isle in front of the stairs banging a drum in my ear so loud that it is all I can hear and that isn't even remotely in time with the Foot Soldiers? I told him to can it today and he tried to tell me to move. I told him that this was where my ticket is and asked where his was, and he told me to go to security. He's a total twat and seriously needs to have his drum taken away. I have no idea where his actual seat is, but if he pulls this s**t next year then I will be on security about it. He has ruined multiple games this year with his completely oblivious and selfish antics, and I am far from the first person who has called him out on it.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:18 PM   #3087
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m crushed, so disappointed. The boys deserved better! We had our chances, three open headers and couldn’t convert.

I’d love to see a replay of that challenge on Pasquotti that led to our last corner.

Forge have to be among the sorest winners I’ve ever seen! Our boys were very classy to stay out there for the shield presentation

Cavalry was the best team of the season and they left it all on the field today. Soccer works in Canada, we’ve proven that this year!

Thank you Cavalry! Thank you Tommy. Thank you to all my new friends in 109. Can’t wait for next year. We’ll be back

TAKE THE HILL
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 05:19 PM   #3088
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Loved Wheeldon going thru Borges at the end.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 05:53 PM   #3089
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my opinion, if you win a season, you should be given a 1 goal aggregate advantage in the finals. Then you have something to play for.

By this rule, Cavs would have been up 2-0 on aggregate to start the series, and winning the tables would have actually meant something.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:55 PM   #3090
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The last 45 minutes is why I have a hard time getting into soccer. The Forge players laying on the ground the entire second half was nothing short of embarrassing.

If the CPL wants to appeal to Canadians with limited soccer experience , they need to consider some unconventional rules. For example, of the trainer has to come out you are out of the game for a minimum of ten minutes.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 11-02-2019 at 06:03 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 06:23 PM   #3091
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
The last 45 minutes is why I have a hard time getting into soccer. The Forge players laying on the ground the entire second half was nothing short of embarrassing.

If the CPL wants to appeal to Canadians with limited soccer experience , they need to consider some unconventional rules. For example, of the trainer has to come out you are out of the game for a minimum of ten minutes.

I agree completely. Automatic forced substitution, and if you are out of subs. You play short handed.

I think the Canadian Championship run was the most fun I had this season. The victory over the whitecaps and the close matchup against Montreal...I wouldn’t trade that for the CanPL Championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanStrandedInEDM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 06:32 PM   #3092
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
In my opinion, if you win a season, you should be given a 1 goal aggregate advantage in the finals. Then you have something to play for.

By this rule, Cavs would have been up 2-0 on aggregate to start the series, and winning the tables would have actually meant something.
Well the entire Championship after a team runs the table is pointless. If you win both seasons, you're the CPL Champions, end of. But of course there should have been some kind of advantage for Cavalry. They won both and it was essentially meaningless to the league.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 06:52 PM   #3093
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

There is lots to complain about, but in the end we didn't create a single dangerous shot on goal for 180+ minutes. We had a great season, and I had a ton of fun along the way, but we didn't play anywhere near good enough in the final.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 09:55 PM   #3094
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I had fun but was disappointed in the result. I’d go again, not often since it’s so far, but it was well worth the experience.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:28 PM   #3095
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
I’d love to see a replay of that challenge on Pasquotti that led to our last corner.
Yeah likewise, though the players and bench didn't seem to be too upset about it, but from my vantage point it definitely seemed borderline.

Never know what next season brings. Rule changes on and off the field galore, one expects. Whatever it takes for the league to help the Forge repeat and stand out for Bob Young's league. And likely, a bunch of the terrible teams will complain and want a more competitive league because my guess is they've lost a lot of money all season, and with terrible attendance the last month. So even though proper scouting, organization, ownership, and coaching rules the day like the Cavs had, the league won't want 1 or 2 powerhouse teams and a bunch of junk, so they'll look to equalize talent on the field.

Besides that eye rolling stuff, Cavs likely to look a lot different. Youth minutes, rumored international league wide pool. I've heard Cavs may have players sign a 12 month contract, not 8, which may or may not be a good idea for some of these players.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:22 AM   #3096
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Yeah likewise, though the players and bench didn't seem to be too upset about it, but from my vantage point it definitely seemed borderline.
That one looked good to me on the replay. Zator getting hacked down from behind right before the Forge goal sure looked like a penalty to me however.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:45 AM   #3097
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
That one looked good to me on the replay. Zator getting hacked down from behind right before the Forge goal sure looked like a penalty to me however.
When Nico was taken down I thought that was a foul for sure. I'm not sure that it was in the box though and might have been just outside.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:12 AM   #3098
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

####ty ending to what was a fantastic season. Cavalry were the best in the league but not over the two game series.

The important thing is that soccer is here to stay in Calgary. I hope everyone enjoyed their experiences at the games this year.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 09:15 AM   #3099
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well the entire Championship after a team runs the table is pointless. If you win both seasons, you're the CPL Champions, end of. But of course there should have been some kind of advantage for Cavalry. They won both and it was essentially meaningless to the league.
I disagree - North American sports considers the playoff champion the real champion. All teams knew the rules and played accordingly.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:23 AM   #3100
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I disagree - North American sports considers the playoff champion the real champion. All teams knew the rules and played accordingly.
Given they didn't announce the format until after Cavalry had already run away with the spring season I'm not sure I agree with this.

I bet if Forge were spring winners the format would be different.
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge