Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #1
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default The Android Thread v2

So i'm on day 5 of the Essential phone and coming from a crap-tastic LG G4 I am loving this one. Battery life has been great getting about 2 days on it. It's snappy, well built and looks great. I also got a flip case after reading about the curved glass being funny with screen protectors. All in all, for $500 I am loving it so far.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cKy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #2
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anybody use the 360 camera on the essential phone? Is it worth it?
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:05 PM   #3
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, have those 360 cameras come down in price? Seems like you can buy one for $50-$80 now. Thought they went for almost $200 at one point. For $50, I'd throw the dice on one. Most reviews seem to like it, nothing earth shattering but a decent addition. I'll see if the Telus store near me has one.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:32 PM   #4
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Wow, have those 360 cameras come down in price? Seems like you can buy one for $50-$80 now. Thought they went for almost $200 at one point. For $50, I'd throw the dice on one. Most reviews seem to like it, nothing earth shattering but a decent addition. I'll see if the Telus store near me has one.
Cool, didn't realize they were that cheap. Let us know if you end up getting one!

The Following User Says Thank You to cKy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2018, 04:22 PM   #5
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can/will do!
Old 04-17-2018, 05:05 PM   #6
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Got tired of waiting for Telus to push the April update for the Essential phone.Went ahead and side loaded the OTA. Another big improvement in battery and connectivity.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:25 PM   #7
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
Got tired of waiting for Telus to push the April update for the Essential phone.Went ahead and side loaded the OTA. Another big improvement in battery and connectivity.
Weird, I got my update last night via Telus.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:50 PM   #8
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
Weird, I got my update last night via Telus.
Did the sideload Saturday. Guess I should have added that part.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:53 PM   #9
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

This is amazing and frightening at the same time.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2018, 06:33 AM   #10
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uh... I mean, I don't think a hairdresser is the ideal subject for a Turing test but we're getting pretty close, hey?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:15 AM   #11
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Uh... I mean, I don't think a hairdresser is the ideal subject for a Turing test but we're getting pretty close, hey?
They also did a Chinese restaurant where the person had pretty poor broken English and Google Assistant made it through the call with no issues. It is quite amazing. Starts at 3:00 in this video
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2018, 07:30 AM   #12
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can just imagine the Siri and Alexa teams watching this, and collectively crapping their pants thinking about the overtime they'll have to put in to catch up. This is very impressive.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:44 AM   #13
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

It’s sad how useless Siri is, and I say that as an Apple fan. It was the first voice assistant and it can’t even do things now that it could before Apple bought it. And it’ll likely never catch up.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:46 AM   #14
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You would think Apple would be willing to spend some of their mountains of cash to not fall behind. They really don't seem to have much direction lately. Iterate products...nothing new or creative going on there.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:04 AM   #15
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

remember that Apple's business model is centered on selling polished high end hardware, and they generally don't introduce new functions until they've been tested and proven by others in the field first. Google's business model is information-based, and they're willing to create like a dozen different iterations of something, let almost all of them fail, just to see which one sticks.

Apple is also far more conservative about leveraging personal data the way the other big boys do. they're not going to introduce bot calling into Siri until Google, etc. have shown that it's a safe bet and won't damage their reputation (or perception) of trustworthiness.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:34 AM   #16
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Does anyone have messaging issues on their Android phones where they send a text message and the recipient receives the same message multiple times? My wife and I both have a Pixel 2 and at random either of us will receive each other's text 2 or 3 times.

I thought it might have to do with the new "Rich Communication Service" they've added to the default Android messaging app, but looking at the info on the repeat messages shows that it's inconsistent. Some of the original and repeats are both SMS, some are SMS and Rich Messages, some are both Rich Messages.

(On a related note, the new stuff they added to the default messaging app is pretty nice. It's iMessage or Facebook Messenger now with typing notifications, read receipts and so on. Another feature I didn't realize I had with the Pixel 2 was HD phone calling between our Pixel 2s. It's super noticable calling pretty much anyone else, but when I call my wife the call quality is much higher.)
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #17
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

/\/\

Yes, I've had the multiple texts a few times. I had it happen with Public Mobile and Koodo. Don't think it's your phone as several people with different phones reported the same thing. I think it's caused by the carrier, not the phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2018, 11:02 AM   #18
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/14/...a-name-change/

Android malware returned to Google Play with just a name change

The findings are slightly disconcerting, at the least. While it's not unheard of for malware to slip into Google Play, it seldom comes back without at least some kind of substantial modification (such as a new strain of the malware itself) -- in theory, a name change shouldn't be enough to do the trick. However the malware got through, this is a not-so-subtle reminder that malware isn't necessarily gone just because it's been removed from Google's app portal.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:24 PM   #19
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone know of a Koodo store in South Calgary that still has the Essential phone in stock?
Old 05-16-2018, 10:33 PM   #20
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Anyone know of a mileage tracking app that lets you lets you do quick manual entries? All the ones I've looked at are automatic with GPS. A spreadsheet may be better at this point lol.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote