Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-01-2016, 09:54 PM   #21
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched 3 episodes yesterday and the rest today.
Pretty amazing story telling. I really enjoyed it.
Reminded me a lot of the "Serial" podcast.
I'm really curious to see is Anon really has any proof of his innocence.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:06 PM   #22
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
Watched 3 episodes yesterday and the rest today.
Pretty amazing story telling. I really enjoyed it.
Reminded me a lot of the "Serial" podcast.
I'm really curious to see is Anon really has any proof of his innocence.
Turns out it wasn't really Anonymous.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:19 PM   #23
Person
Draft Pick

I'm just about done this series, on episode 9 now. I have to say it's very well done.

I find that regardless of the verdict, this wasn't a fair trial at all. Ken Kratz's statement about "reasonable doubt is for innocent people" is incorrect, the point of reasonable doubt is that you have to prove that someone is more than 50% likely to have committed the crime in order to claim they're guilty (hence the "beyond a reasonable doubt".

I got to hand it to Steven Avery's lawyers, Jerome Buting and Dean Strang, though. They were both very genuine and sincere the entire way.
Person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:03 PM   #24
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also his statement that if Steven Avery didn't murder her, then you must believe it was the police who killed her.

It is absolutely asinine.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:50 AM   #25
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

I haven't seen this but it sounds great.

Reading what you guys are saying it reminds me a little of the documentary The Staircase.

If you haven't seen it, you should. I remember it being great.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:45 PM   #26
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Also his statement that if Steven Avery didn't murder her, then you must believe it was the police who killed her.

It is absolutely asinine.
And in Brendan's case, the prosecutor said "Innocent people don't confess." Absolutely and patently false. He knows it too.

Spoiler!

What Brendan and Steven went through would be one of my biggest nightmares. It would feel like screaming and screaming and nobody hearing you.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:57 PM   #27
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brendan is the worst part of it for me. He's clearly not guilty. The gruesome crime scene they described is some how not there. Not a trace of blood. How on Earth is that even possible?

Steven might be guilty... but with Brendan I'd be willing to mortgage my house he was innocent. He's just a dull kid who got hustled by the cops.

Morale of the story: Never. Talk. To. The. Police.

Ever.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:02 PM   #28
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the absolute worst part is the ####ing public defender's investigator basically forcing the kid into another confession and basically telling him the scenes to draw in his confessions.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2016, 03:05 PM   #29
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I think the absolute worst part is the ####ing public defender's investigator basically forcing the kid into another confession and basically telling him the scenes to draw in his confessions.
That was egregious.

Then that piece of crap was crying later on thinking of the blue ribbon. What crocodile tears. I hope bad things happen to him.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:54 PM   #30
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

The investigator also knew Teresa Halbach.

How any of Brendan's confessions have any merit, especially one forced from a friend of the victim, I have no idea.

I don't understand how 12 jurors could let that happen.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:49 PM   #31
Cortez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Amazing documentry.
It's fascinating, infuriating, heartbreaking and terrifying all at the same time. I would highly recommend this to anyone, it's a must watch.
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:24 PM   #32
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished the episode where at the end the cop is testifying when he knows the 99 Toyota.

Ridiculous.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:31 PM   #33
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm only half way through but this is amazing. Absolutely jaw-dropping stuff at times.

'Must See' is an understatement.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:11 AM   #34
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

I've been hearing about this and can't wait to watch it.

I found this transcript of the 16 year old's final interrogation. I know nothing more about this guy but just reading the transcript, it seems a good portion of his answers came from the information given by the interrogators. Sometimes within a few sentences, he changes his answer based on what they told him they already knew. The kid ( who I understand was convicted) was perhaps very dim, perhaps very afraid, or perhaps a complete genius, but I can't understand how anyone could read his answers and think his information was trustworthy, even when implicating himself. And I have yet to hear about the physical evidence, it just seems he followed the police lead as to what happened:

https://www.docdroid.net/rRe12qJ/13m...cript.pdf.html
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:01 AM   #35
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

He's very dim. He claims he likes his DA because they have they same favourite animal.

Its heart breaking.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:14 AM   #36
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've got one episode left but I feel there has to be some critical evidence not presented in this series. I simply cannot fathom how a jury could convict Brendan based on what we're shown. If they thought he was originally telling the truth then surely there would be some evidence of him being inside Avery's trailer. I wonder why his own lawyer didn't want to show the court the end of his "confession" video where he tells his mom that the detectives "got in his head."
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #37
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I've got one episode left but I feel there has to be some critical evidence not presented in this series. I simply cannot fathom how a jury could convict Brendan based on what we're shown. If they thought he was originally telling the truth then surely there would be some evidence of him being inside Avery's trailer. I wonder why his own lawyer didn't want to show the court the end of his "confession" video where he tells his mom that the detectives "got in his head."
It's pretty simple, according to the one juror that was excused in the Steve Avery case. In that one he said there were 3 people who had the guilty mindset from the beginning of deliberations, and simply wouldn't budge. The longer that goes on, the more tired the rest of the jurors get, and they start to change their votes just to get out of there and go home. That's why that bull#### press conference that slimebag prosecutor had before anything went to trial was so damaging, you had them calling Steve and Brendan guilty before they even had a chance to mount a defense
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:18 AM   #38
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
It's pretty simple, according to the one juror that was excused in the Steve Avery case. In that one he said there were 3 people who had the guilty mindset from the beginning of deliberations, and simply wouldn't budge. The longer that goes on, the more tired the rest of the jurors get, and they start to change their votes just to get out of there and go home. That's why that bull#### press conference that slimebag prosecutor had before anything went to trial was so damaging, you had them calling Steve and Brendan guilty before they even had a chance to mount a defense
Yeah, they'd have needed a jury from the moon to get a fair trial after that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:00 AM   #39
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
I posted this earlier about documentaries of today and I think this applies here.

http://www.cracked.com/podcast/why-4...-full-s232125/
I really do not this really applies Morgan Spurlock is a modern day snake oil salesmen in my opinion and Michael Moore while starts discussions are insanely one sided and mostly propaganda that sometimes does a disservice to the conversation. US isn't the only one that has horribly bad documentaries as well within the first 15 minutes of The Hole Story I had to shut it off as their comments kept on making me say wait one second I'm pretty sure that is either wrong or misleading and every time I fact checked it, it was either misleading or wrong.

That said, I couldn't really find anything that was critical that was left our of the documentary. They didn't pain Steven Avery as a saint, in fact that they painted him from the start as someone who was consistently in trouble with the law and someone who seem to have really poor decisions making skills, for example responding to harassment by a family member by running her off the road. Steven Avery doesn't seem like a nice guy.

I don't even know if he killed her or not after the documentary is over; and I don't think the documentary set out to say that. The documentary set out to investigate a story and they found a disaster of an investigation.

As for Ken Kratz comments about them leaving things out, of course they did; however he doesn't provide any details about what was left out. His comments seem like more garbage to me. As for his legal issues being included I think this was important to include, it shows a pattern of unethical and illegal actions, and does make you question Kratz's statements and motives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person View Post
I find that regardless of the verdict, this wasn't a fair trial at all. Ken Kratz's statement about "reasonable doubt is for innocent people" is incorrect, the point of reasonable doubt is that you have to prove that someone is more than 50% likely to have committed the crime in order to claim they're guilty (hence the "beyond a reasonable doubt".
During college had a business law course and they explained, over 50% is civil court, reasonable doubt it is 100% sure they did it.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:12 AM   #40
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
He's very dim. He claims he likes his DA because they have they same favourite animal.

Its heart breaking.
At one point he says to his mom "they say my story is inconsistent, what does that mean" and his mom responds "I don't know".

I mean, my 4 year old knows what inconsistent means.