Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2020, 03:24 PM   #281
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

India is sending its MiG-29Ks north to Ladakh. The MiGs should perform better than their Su-30s in the Himalayas because they are lighter. The MiGs are supposed to fly from the new aircraft carrier, Vikrant, but its construction is delayed, so they may as well send them north and give the pilots some training.

Meanwhile, five Rafales departed France for India, which starts the delivery of this new procurement.

The USS Nimitz Carrier Strike Group is currently training with the Indian Navy in the Indian Ocean.

A large joint exercise with USA, Japan and Australia continues in the vicinity of Guam.

US planes approached the Chinese mainland on Sunday, one within 80km of Shanghai, which is one of the closest approaches in recent memory. A P-8A & an EP-3E reconnaissance plane entered the Taiwan Strait, flying near the coast of Zhejiang & Fujian.

The tensions are certainly rising; the prospect of a conflict in the next couple of years is likely. China is prepared to lose lives to achieve its goals. But are the USA and its allies prepared to lose lives to contain China?
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2020, 08:47 AM   #282
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

From the Atlas of Military Obscurities, here is a Kurdish (SDF) tractor/dozer conversion in Syria. It is equipped with an HMG and a BMP turret.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:54 AM   #283
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a nice coffin you built there...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:31 AM   #284
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Masssive explosion in Lebanon

Don't know what it is, but its huge

https://twitter.com/user/status/1290669350526038018

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:33 AM   #285
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
From the Atlas of Military Obscurities, here is a Kurdish (SDF) tractor/dozer conversion in Syria. It is equipped with an HMG and a BMP turret.

HAHAHA

Reminds me of the Home made APC's we saw rolling around Croatia,

Something is better than nothing I guess

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:34 AM   #286
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Another angle of the explosion

https://twitter.com/user/status/1290669028957204482

Baron, do you want to check in on what you think it is?

Old 08-04-2020, 11:08 AM   #287
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

Baron, do you want to check in on what you think it is?
Lebanese "security" said it was a warehouse ("Warehouse 12") full of fireworks and chemicals. That's a lot of fireworks if so. Could be industrial/chemical. Maybe an ammo dump or ammo manufacturing facility. There was a grain elevator right there and dust from that would contribute to the explosion. I think it's quite reasonable that the fire started at a fireworks storage facility - you can see/hear in one video what could be fireworks exploding - and then something else blew. That explosion was too big for fireworks in my opinion.

The plume almost looks like a Davy Crockett nuke. Not saying that was what exploded, just trying to put some context to the size of that blast.

There is no evidence right now to suggest it was an attack (from Israel, for example). That is, no airplane or missiles tracked. However, Evan Davies from BBC interviewed Layla Melana from France 24 who lives a few blocks from the explosion and she stated that moments before she heard an incredibly loud jet at a "very, very low altitude". She looked up and there was a "blinding flash". All windows "went" immediately; an entire apt destroyed and "doors blown off hinges everywhere". "Whole building and whole street in same condition."

"At the moment I feel that we must [assume a plane]."

So, all kinds of narratives out there.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1290669848872333312

https://twitter.com/user/status/1290675205229051906

https://twitter.com/user/status/1290678590133030918

Quite the damage:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1290679331052826624
https://twitter.com/user/status/1290667092488986624
https://twitter.com/user/status/1290678776557338626

***NSFW Graphic***
https://twitter.com/user/status/1290684774756102144
Old 08-04-2020, 11:20 AM   #288
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I keep thinking ammunition to be honest, higher concentrations of explosives in a smaller space, then a fire works factory.

Like I said, when I first saw the video with that blast wave I thought nuke.

If there was a plane, I doubt they would attack a fire works factory or storage facility.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:26 AM   #289
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Director-General of the Lebanese Public Security now states: "What happened is not a bomb explosion, but a high explosive material that was confiscated [?] some time ago."

Beirut airport damaged. The airport is 10 km away from the port.

Beirut Port and surroundings:

The dust/smoke cloud has reached Damascus and apparently Cypriots felt the blast.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:32 AM   #290
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What does that mean by the Director General.

They seized home made IED's built around artillery rounds?

Or seized munitions from the various terrorist groups.

That explosion is massive. I agree that its high explosives, and more then likely not fire works.

Fireworks factory in China when it went up and it just looks different.

NSFW for swears

NSFW!

Old 08-04-2020, 11:35 AM   #291
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I keep thinking ammunition to be honest, higher concentrations of explosives in a smaller space, then a fire works factory.

Like I said, when I first saw the video with that blast wave I thought nuke.

If there was a plane, I doubt they would attack a fire works factory or storage facility.
The red smoke indicates chlorate which is used in fireworks but fireworks burn slow. The white explosion looks fast, indicating military munitions. This does not look like fireworks to me:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1290699607459028998

I don't buy a jet attack right now but that could very easily be verified if the Lebanese government so wanted.

Remember Yemen from 2017?
Old 08-04-2020, 11:37 AM   #292
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

BREAKING — The Beirut explosion caused by highly explosive sodium nitrate confiscated from a ship more than a year ago and were placed in one of the warehouses located in the port — Sources to LBCI

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:37 AM   #293
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
What does that mean by the Director General.

They seized home made IED's built around artillery rounds?

Or seized munitions from the various terrorist groups.

That explosion is massive. I agree that its high explosives, and more then likely not fire works.

Fireworks factory in China when it went up and it just looks different.

NSFW for swears

NSFW!
I don't really know what the Lebanese official means. It was from a machine translation of his tweet (in Arabic). I suspect maybe he means chemicals.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:19 PM   #294
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TC- View Post
BREAKING — The Beirut explosion caused by highly explosive sodium nitrate confiscated from a ship more than a year ago and were placed in one of the warehouses located in the port — Sources to LBCI
Sodium nitrate isn't highly explosive and it's not even flammable. It's an accelerant in propellants, though. Ammonium Nitrate?
Old 08-04-2020, 12:20 PM   #295
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TC- View Post
If this is confirmed as valid, why on earth would you keep such an explosive item so close to a population center??
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:28 PM   #296
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Remember Yemen from 2017?
I did some digging and it looks like that video is from a Saudi attack in 2015.

https://factcheck.afp.com/no-video-d...ing-used-yemen

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3qweyp
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:20 AM   #297
kurwamac
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
They need the new fighter because the F35 can't carry this:

This is their new ship-killer missile.

Sounds like you've been watching plenty of RT and Pravda, I don't think you're an expert because the F-35 can do targeting for missiles fired from any connected platform - which includes other F-35s, F-22, F-15, F-16, F-18, B-52, B-2, B-1, and missiles launched from land and sea platforms. Russia can't do this. And this is why the F-35's able to achieve a kill to death ratio of 21-1 in Red Flag exercises. It doesn't matter what the payload size is for the F-35 - that's just a russian propaganda talking point. You're just building a myth that russia's some kind of unstoppable military might, the US has ship killer missiles too, as well as stealth missiles, and pretty much caught up with hypersonic missiles too. The truth is though, that as soon as one fires on the other, the nukes come out, so it's all null. Now if either side could develop a perfect air defense system - then the other side will have real problems.
kurwamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:50 AM   #298
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurwamac View Post
Sounds like you've been watching plenty of RT and Pravda, I don't think you're an expert because the F-35 can do targeting for missiles fired from any connected platform - which includes other F-35s, F-22, F-15, F-16, F-18, B-52, B-2, B-1, and missiles launched from land and sea platforms. Russia can't do this. And this is why the F-35's able to achieve a kill to death ratio of 21-1 in Red Flag exercises. It doesn't matter what the payload size is for the F-35 - that's just a russian propaganda talking point. You're just building a myth that russia's some kind of unstoppable military might, the US has ship killer missiles too, as well as stealth missiles, and pretty much caught up with hypersonic missiles too. The truth is though, that as soon as one fires on the other, the nukes come out, so it's all null. Now if either side could develop a perfect air defense system - then the other side will have real problems.
lol
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 03:09 PM   #299
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
If this is confirmed as valid, why on earth would you keep such an explosive item so close to a population center??
Ignorance, incompetence, favouritism and bureaucracy are the short answers. There are lots of dots to connect here and if anyone ever does, it won't be a pretty picture.

A local mafia composed of high ranking officers, customs directors, administrators and security officials controls the Port. Each person in charge has been appointed by a political leader offering his men immunity and protection. This is indeed the case for the Director of#Customs and the Army intelligence General who are responsible for harbour movements and contents. The port produces immense amounts of money and bribes are a matter of course for all those who run this enterprise. In the face of such corruption, it is clear that scientific expertise about what is happening to stored ammonium nitrate and the conditions in which 2,750 tons of it are stored was not that important. So, given all that, when a problem or a disaster occurs, as it did on Tuesday, it will obviously be very difficult to find those really responsible.

When one talks about Lebanon, Hezbollah is almost always brought up. And there are certainly those who claim there was a Hezbollah ammo dump or missile factory nearby that contributed to the explosion. However, I want to point out that Hezbollah has nothing to do with the Port of Beirut. It lies within a Sunni district and the factions running the harbour are generally not friendly with Hezbollah. Speculation about Hezbollah storing weapons at warehouse 12 is unfounded because the place was under constant surveillance by cameras controlled by the local security forces themselves. Hezbollah would certainly not store weapons in an area both unfriendly and not under its own control.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 05:51 PM   #300
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
It was the where the ship was abandoned, this was no doubt the first empty warehouse they had, as the chemical is a weapons precursor it cant just be taken anywhere, and who ever had control of it no doubt thought 'well if things kick off again that might be handy to have'.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote