Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-16-2018, 01:20 AM   #1
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames Bill Fricken Peters

I know we had another thread "Early thoughts on Bill Peters" but for me i've seen enough.

I pretty much don't question a single roster move he makes. He's been saying exactly what he should in his post game interviews. Not afraid to call out the refs when they deserve to be called out even if it means taking a fine. Juggled lines in the 3rd period today (Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett and Tkachuk - Lindholm - Neal) to put together a huge 3rd period goal in a even game..

And most importantly, the Flames are playing exciting hockey again.

Time for our head coach to receive some much deserved recognition.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:35 AM   #2
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yup. The only gripe I have is how much rope Smith has been given.

Everything else he gets an A+ from me.

We are lucky to have him
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:42 AM   #3
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bill Peters is a boss. I'm so f'ing glad I was wrong about his hiring.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:04 AM   #4
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know why people said he was basically a meaner Gullickson. Even aside from the whole winning games part of it, I'd say:

Gullickson = stupid and boring. Even winning would induce a coma.

Peters = badass and fun. Even losing would still be better to watch... but we winning so... *middle finger*.

I'm glad we aren't stuck with a boring turd like Tippet, Hitch, etc out of desperation just to win games. We get the best of both worlds!
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:39 AM   #5
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Peter's is calm, cool and collect, the team is following his lead.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:46 AM   #6
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

The second I finished listening to his first fan 960 session, after getting named head coach, I knew he was going to be a revelation for us.

- he knew the whole roster and had a good read on all of the guys strengths
- he said all the right things about wanting to play a certain way and rewarding players for their play
- he seemed like a guy that knew what the previous coaching staff did wrong with the group and how to fix it
- he was humble enough to admit some of his mistakes from coaching in Carolina

The fact that he coached under Babcock added to the good feeling that I was developing about the guy.

I'm glad the results can back up my initial instinct.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 04:52 AM   #7
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m eating crow.

It tastes surprisingly delicious.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 04:58 AM   #8
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now let's see how he does in the playoffs
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 06:37 AM   #9
SOMBRI2
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think we can be a 100-pt team this year.

Before the season started, I was contemplating not to renew my season ticket. But I said to myself, let's give Peters one year and see. I am glad I made that decision so far. Yes, even from pure entertainment value, this team has exceed my expectations.

Keep it up boys!!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
SOMBRI2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:07 AM   #10
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBRI2 View Post
I think we can be a 100-pt team this year.

Before the season started, I was contemplating not to renew my season ticket. But I said to myself, let's give Peters one year and see. I am glad I made that decision so far. Yes, even from pure entertainment value, this team has exceed my expectations.

Keep it up boys!!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
It is unbelievable but the Flames only need to go 7 games over .500 the rest of the way to get to 100. Something like 25-18-6 would suffice. With this team, anything less would be a disappointment IMO. I think when it's all said and done, this year will be the second best season record in franchise history.
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:53 AM   #11
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still a work in progress. Has to be more consistent with Smith and Ryan imo. Like his ability to make adjustments, which is why we lead the league in third period scoring, but he’s still pretty bullheaded on a few things, and those need to change.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:19 AM   #12
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Count me in the camp that wanted Sutter back during the offseason. Boy, was I wrong. I love just how wrong I was. Pass some of that crow and gravy please!
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SmoggyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 08:43 AM   #13
Cantrader
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Maybe Coach of the year!
Cantrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:45 AM   #14
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

I was completely wrong about him. He seems to have a fantastic understanding of the game, both the Xs and Os as well as the mental game.

He’s been an incredible hire!
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:54 AM   #15
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like him so far... If he can get Neal going, then I will like him even more.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:02 AM   #16
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly wonder how much of the Flames improvement is just having a coach who will shorten the bench and play the better players more.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:04 AM   #17
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I knew getting rid of GG was going to be addition by subtraction, but I was definitely in wait and see mode as far as Peters. Although realistically there will never be a coach that makes all the same decisions I would, I have been overall very impressed.

Much more accountability on performance for lineup decisions and playing time, in game adjustments, intelligent shortening of the bench and overall bench management.

Also a bunch of systemic things, far more active D on the attack as well as the forecheck to keep O zone time alive, along with having the forwards bought in and responsible for covering pinching D. The PP and PK are both better, and I have noticed his forward rotation system on the PK to increase the ability to pressure the points, that I haven’t seen before that I quite like.

But maybe the biggest thing is some of the psychological and leadership elements that are harder to quantify. He has the team playing the way he wants, and we aren’t making excuses that the team needs time to adjust after 20 games, 40 games, 1 season.....

He is able to effectively deliver the message and instill performance to get the players playing the way they need to, and not just keep hoping they’ll eventually learn. He is able to get consistency of effort and system throughout the game, down a goal, up a goal....they don’t just go into a defensive shell when they’re ahead. Maybe even better, they have the ability to crank up the intensity when needed, like we’ve seen in the third periods when tied or behind.

And overall he isn’t coaching and messaging for safe, ‘50/50’ hockey. Play hard, make plays, cover for inevitable mistakes. Don’t play for safe, perfect hockey. It doesn’t work.

So I do question some of his decisions, in particular the longer leash he has given to Smith at times, but overall he has so far exhibited waayyy more in many facets than GG. I’m impressed.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 09:25 AM   #18
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No crow for me, the feelings i expressed all summer; after getting rid of GG, I would have been happy to see my nephews novice coach hired, and expected this roster to make the playoffs with him.

Im usually not one to pile onto a coach, but it was clear that guy was out of his element from game ten onward, how he lasted 160 is probably the biggest black mark on Treliving entire career.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 09:32 AM   #19
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
The second I finished listening to his first fan 960 session, after getting named head coach, I knew he was going to be a revelation for us.

- he knew the whole roster and had a good read on all of the guys strengths
- he said all the right things about wanting to play a certain way and rewarding players for their play
- he seemed like a guy that knew what the previous coaching staff did wrong with the group and how to fix it
- he was humble enough to admit some of his mistakes from coaching in Carolina

The fact that he coached under Babcock added to the good feeling that I was developing about the guy.

I'm glad the results can back up my initial instinct.

Strangely I had the opposite reaction to his first presser. It sounded like he was name dropping for effect and the way he talked was like someone who is all talk and no listen. Boy was I wrong and happy to be so.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 10:06 AM   #20
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Strangely I had the opposite reaction to his first presser. It sounded like he was name dropping for effect and the way he talked was like someone who is all talk and no listen. Boy was I wrong and happy to be so.
I think it in context it was impressive. The guys asked about if he knew much about the players and one of them had the flames roster sheet. Peters took it and rattled through the entire roster giving his 2 cents. It was impressive of how much he knew about depth players and prospects.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote