Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2018, 10:36 AM   #3561
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
That's not fair.

Treliving more than hinted that there was a problem in getting the player signed.

Nobody is inventing anything. We are speculating as to what the reason was, without certainty.

It's a discussion forum, seems to me that's right up the alley of what we should be doing.

Could be a crowded blueline. Could be he insisted on a spot as a promise. Could be a city that is too for North, to far West. Maybe he and Gaudreau don't get along. Maybe he hates cowboy boots.
Maybe he wanted to go back to Harvard for another year? He likes it there? Thought he could develop there? Maybe the Flames dealt poorly with him?

The previous speculation was slanted to make him look bad. I just think that’s unnecessary unless you have some evidence.

I don’t think it’s “fair” to say my comments about not liking that are not “fair”.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:05 AM   #3562
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite View Post
Yes to Ferland. ...as a rental. He's got the jam the 3rd or 4th line could use. Assuming Flames are in a playoff position, the depth is nice.
No thanks. It's like people don't remember what his play was like outside of the top line. I'll refresh you - it wasn't full of "jam".

Would rather pick up someone new, like a 2a/b center than could even push backlund/ryan down.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #3563
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethrynn View Post
So your premise is that all the other teams amp up their hitting in the playoffs but the flames for some strange reason won’t?
For the same reason that non-physical Minnesota is good enough to make the play offs for the last 6 seasons and has 15 playoff wins... without outhitting their opposition. They never have had enough Ferland/ Jones / Engelland -type players who have the size and ability to play a physical game and not hurt the team skill wise.

The Wild roster is not full of players who are comfortable playing playoff style hockey.

The Flames will be forced to dress less skilled players (Hathaway, Prout, Pelluso) as they did in the close to playoff game against the Oilers. I would much rather have Ferland in the line-up than these guys.

If not Ferland as a playoff rental then who?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:50 PM   #3564
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
for the same reason that non-physical minnesota is good enough to make the play offs for the last 6 seasons and has 15 playoff wins... Without outhitting their opposition. They never have had enough ferland/ jones / engelland -type players who have the size and ability to play a physical game and not hurt the team skill wise.

The wild roster is not very good.

the flames will be forced to dress less skilled players (hathaway, prout, pelluso) as they did in the close to playoff game against the oilers. I would much rather have ferland in the line-up than these guys.

If not ferland as a playoff rental then who?
fyp
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #3565
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why can't it just be players like Bennett, Tkachuk, Giordano, Hamonic that step their physical game up in the playoffs?
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:57 PM   #3566
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

The guy counting the shots on the Fox feed is drunk. We had two shot s and they counted them for the Wild.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:16 PM   #3567
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
The guy counting the shots on the Fox feed is drunk. We had two shot s and they counted them for the Wild.
At least he's not posting on the wrong thread.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #3568
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
No thanks. It's like people don't remember what his play was like outside of the top line. I'll refresh you - it wasn't full of "jam".
The last time he played (healthy) outside the top line:

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:30 PM   #3569
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Okay, so Tampa and Chicago both hit more in the playoffs.

And it is safe to assume that the Flames would too (it is the nature of playoff hockey).

So that does nothing for your attempted argument that they should acquire Ferland because they need to hit more.
There’s more hits in the playoffs partially because you have indefinite overtime. Games in the regular season average less than 65 minutes. Games in the playoffs average more time because of OT. More time to hit equals more hits per game.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:37 PM   #3570
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
There’s more hits in the playoffs partially because you have indefinite overtime. Games in the regular season average less than 65 minutes. Games in the playoffs average more time because of OT. More time to hit equals more hits per game.
Also back to backs, road trips, matinees etc.

These things don't really exist in the playoffs and are major factors in a team's ability to be physical.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:46 PM   #3571
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

not to mention intensity levels
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #3572
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Could do worse for a deadline add than ferland. Gives the flames the option of sliding lindholm to center on a semi permanent basis as well. I wouldn't complain if we picked him up. But someone on here will...someone always will.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:03 PM   #3573
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Maybe he wanted to go back to Harvard for another year? He likes it there? Thought he could develop there? Maybe the Flames dealt poorly with him?

The previous speculation was slanted to make him look bad. I just think that’s unnecessary unless you have some evidence.

I don’t think it’s “fair” to say my comments about not liking that are not “fair”.
Treliving said there was a problem in getting him signed.

He could have said he didn't want to sign this summer. He could have said he plans on coming out in year three, but we're not prepared to risk that.

He didn't.

I think that's a pretty good take from what has seemed to be a pretty honest man to date.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2018, 06:41 PM   #3574
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imagine these concussions are going to cost Ferland a lot of money. When a guy has to miss weeks of games from a concussion that had no definitive incident, I can't imagine anyone is going to give him any term in a contract.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:00 PM   #3575
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I'm not sure why so many people still want to talk about Fox? As far as I'm concerned, he could turn into an all-star defenseman and we'll still have walked away as the "winners," (not that there needs to be a winner and a loser) with the way Lindholm and Hanifin are playing, and the contacts they are on.
Because if you look at the posts earlier in the thread, Ferland and Hamilton was too steep a price for some, for what we got back. And the teenage pile of potentially good beans that was added in Fox, was too much for people to bear,and because of that inclusion, his perceived value was ratcheted up by posters even more.

And 6 months later, people don't like to be wrong. The NHL players involved has been titled toward Treliving big time, and the only thing those that have been wrong about that, have their Fox argument to hold onto.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:18 PM   #3576
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lindholm looked deadly at center between those 2. Would not be against trying this when guys get back

Gaudreau Mono Bennett
Chucky Lindy Neal
Frolik Backlund Ryan
Czarnik Janko Hathaway
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jlh2640 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 03:13 AM   #3577
I am Beast
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Lindholm looked deadly at center between those 2. Would not be against trying this when guys get back

Gaudreau Mono Bennett
Chucky Lindy Neal
Frolik Backlund Ryan
Czarnik Janko Hathaway
Been dying to see this line-up stick since the season has started, but one minor tweak..
give janko the Tkachuk treatment, let him learn from Backlund and move Ryan down the 4th line and spread out our faceoff abilities.

Gaudreau Mono Bennett
Chucky Lindy Neal
Jankowski Backlund Frolík
Czarnik Ryan Hathaway

so much balance!
Then move Lindholm back up to first PP unit to continue the magic that we've seen so far this season...
I am Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I am Beast For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 07:50 AM   #3578
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
What? I thought there was never inconsistencies in shot counting?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:02 AM   #3579
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
What? I thought there was never inconsistencies in shot counting?
Do you really want an answer for this?

There are always inconsistencies between NHL buildings ... different guys are counting shots on goal.

There shouldn't be inconsistency when the same guy is counting every team's shot attempts.

Your can unroll your eyes and now.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:06 PM   #3580
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tim and Sid talk Lindholm + Hanifin.

Edit: Theres like 1 minute of Flames talk in the entire 15 min video. Title is fairly misleading.

Last edited by jg13; 12-17-2018 at 07:17 PM.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post: