Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-05-2018, 09:05 AM   #1821
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I thought that central de icing would be the preferred method until I flew out of an airport that had such a facility this winter. Central de-icing wasn't any quicker or efficient. It actually seemed to take longer because there was more stopping and waiting. We were pushed back from the gate but had to wait on the pad for quite a while. Then we started to taxi towards the facility but we had to hold twice to allow other aircrafts to proceed. Finally at the de-icing facility we seemed to have a lower proirity in a smaller aircraft as larger planes proceeded before us. Maybe that was just a uniquely bad experience but it seemed to take forever and the system in Calgary seemed better.
Issue for us was the aircraft on our gate pushed on time but then had to deice before leaving the gate. Then the trucks came in to sweep up the fluid. All this time our aircraft was waiting to get onto the gate so it could get turned around and we could leave. So despite our plan arriving on time (it began the day elsewhere) and the flight ahead of us that was using our gate actually pushing back on time we ended up being about 30 minutes late leaving due to the deicing. Had the first AC been able to push and go to a central facility our AC could have gated on time, turned around, and departed on time.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:38 AM   #1822
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something is up with AC serving Narita next winter, looks like it has been dropped from the schedule completely.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:54 AM   #1823
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Something is up with AC serving Narita next winter, looks like it has been dropped from the schedule completely.
From YYC or the entire AC network?
Old 04-05-2018, 09:57 AM   #1824
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Issue for us was the aircraft on our gate pushed on time but then had to deice before leaving the gate. Then the trucks came in to sweep up the fluid. All this time our aircraft was waiting to get onto the gate so it could get turned around and we could leave. So despite our plan arriving on time (it began the day elsewhere) and the flight ahead of us that was using our gate actually pushing back on time we ended up being about 30 minutes late leaving due to the deicing. Had the first AC been able to push and go to a central facility our AC could have gated on time, turned around, and departed on time.
While that is a legit point, the upside to gate deice is that it takes less time overall to get sprayed usually. As well, you aren’t sitting and burning jet fuel while you wait.

For me I would say that I have rarely had waits like the one you are describing, but have had far more long waits at central deice facilities with engines running.

Of course there are other variables involved, but from my standpoint I typically love the fact that YYC hasn’t instituted a CDF for us yet.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:02 AM   #1825
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
From YYC or the entire AC network?
Just from YYC.

While I don't post on SSP anymore I still lurk the airport thread because of a lot of great insider info from posters there. That is where it is being discussed. There is also the factor that AC's joint venture with Air China is getting close to being a done deal and that may see them launch YYC-PEK potentially. Still seems like Shanghai is not on the radar at all.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:05 AM   #1826
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just don't really understand thew hate for the Calgary terminal. Sure it has its issues but all airports do. These days I fly quite a bit and compared to some other airports it really isn't that bad. (I try to avoid Chicago at all costs) Yes, being new they could have done some things better but I haven't had a bad experience with the airport yet. Coming back from US flights I'm usually out the door in under 25 minutes.

By the Beginning of May I will have been at these airports this year:
YYC
YYZ
IAH
IAD
PVR
CUN
ORD
CLT
DFW
MSP
DEN
EWR (I got to say I was not looking forward to flying though Newark with all the horror stories. It looks like the are making progress on the renovation though. I think it was Gate C that is done and it is really nice. Gate A is still a sh@t hole.

Oh...and these 4 little airports too.
CEF4
CEA3
CEG4
YQF

Last edited by rotten42; 04-05-2018 at 10:09 AM. Reason: addition
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2018, 10:16 AM   #1827
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

CEG4! Now that brings back memories of my flight instructing days.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:21 AM   #1828
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

My buddy has a little Comanche that he flies out of Airdrie. We do a bunch of day trips in the winter with it. We wanted to fly up to Lac La Biche for the ice races again this year but the weather turned bad.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2018, 11:08 AM   #1829
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Scariest touch-and-go of my life was there in a 172. Skating rink, torque effect sliding me left, toward the runway lights/snowbank. Made it unscathed, but there was major pucker factor.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:54 PM   #1830
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was in Calgary airport 3 weeks ago, my first time. They have some nice tucked away poopers in between terminals. Quiet and clean. The best airport dump of my trip by far, between Vancouver, Las Vegas and Calgary.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #1831
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
An update on this one, the flight looks to be coming back March 23 daily. AC indicating the temporary suspension is due to equipment shortages.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:01 AM   #1832
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I was in Calgary airport 3 weeks ago, my first time. They have some nice tucked away poopers in between terminals. Quiet and clean. The best airport dump of my trip by far, between Vancouver, Las Vegas and Calgary.
I must say this is the first time I have seen a terminal building evaluated in this respect.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:09 PM   #1833
fliguy
Draft Pick

Quote:
An update on this one, the flight looks to be coming back March 23 daily. AC indicating the temporary suspension is due to equipment shortages.
The YYC-NRT 3x weekly in winter slot is being given to YUL winter 2018/19 as we were told. I guess they want to see if YUL will work better than YYC in the winter.

Last edited by fliguy; 04-09-2018 at 10:11 PM.
fliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:25 AM   #1834
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

The frame is already accounted for with the extension of YYZ-MXP through winter, unless you're saying they're launching YUL-NRT on the 763? Anybody who remembers how well YYZ-NRT went on the 763 knows the same venture from YUL would get wrecked with restrictions to the extent that you couldn't draw any meaningful conclusion from it.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #1835
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
It's a bit ironic, Narita is being talked about separately from this post, as it's actually quite relevant.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:03 AM   #1836
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

WestJet introduces summer seasonal YYC-Quebec City:

4x weekly from June 29 to September 8
3x weekly from September 10 to October 26
Old 04-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #1837
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
WestJet introduces summer seasonal YYC-Quebec City:

4x weekly from June 29 to September 8
3x weekly from September 10 to October 26
Beautiful city to visit, especially in the summer.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:26 PM   #1838
fliguy
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
The frame is already accounted for with the extension of YYZ-MXP through winter, unless you're saying they're launching YUL-NRT on the 763? Anybody who remembers how well YYZ-NRT went on the 763 knows the same venture from YUL would get wrecked with restrictions to the extent that you couldn't draw any meaningful conclusion from it.
No, I don't mean the frame, I mean the slot in NRT. The 763's are being retired and soon will be gone, by 2019 I believe. YUL-NRT is starting this summer with the slot that was YYZ-NRT daily. Then this coming winter, the 3x weekly slot is being given to YUL instead of YYC, flying on a 788. I'm not sure where the daily slot is going for the winter sked.

Last edited by fliguy; 04-10-2018 at 09:30 PM.
fliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:27 PM   #1839
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I know all that, I thought you were saying YUL-NRT was flying on the 763 which had me confused. My bad.

While AC will claim YUL-NRT is launching to cater to US connections, it's also a better way for YYZers to get to ANA cnx at NRT vs AC9 out of YYC. This is not good for us.

Last edited by Acey; 04-10-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:39 PM   #1840
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliguy View Post
The YYC-NRT 3x weekly in winter slot is being given to YUL winter 2018/19 as we were told. I guess they want to see if YUL will work better than YYC in the winter.
god dammit
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc