Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Thoughts on the James Neal signing?
Love It 411 46.55%
Love the add, worried about the term 328 37.15%
Neutral 30 3.40%
Wait and see 71 8.04%
Hate it 43 4.87%
Voters: 883. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2018, 10:02 AM   #1181
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett hasn't succeeded as an NHL level centre, true. But it might be that he can grow into it, and maybe he can do it this year.

BTW, Bennett at C wasn't just a GG thing. Lots of posters here were mad because he wasn't playing centre under Hartley (and GG when he was on the wing).

Thing is - his style looks like he wants to play down the middle. He's not an outside rusher like, say, Czarnik or Frolik. Also, most times players who struggle with C at the NHL level have trouble on the defensive aspects - it's way harder to play C defensively. Yet, I'm not sure that's Sam's issue.

At the end of the day, is he worse at C than Ryan or Jankowski. Or maybe a better C fit with Neal and Tkachuk? I think either Ryan or Jankowski could be pretty successful as a winger on the Backlund/Frolik line, so Bennett at C with Tkachuk and Neal wouldn't be something not worth trying.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:06 AM   #1182
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The season is going so great that talking about Neal just seems nit picky. But can't deny he is on a 5 year contract at relatively big money and the Brouwer buyout is tied to the signing decision too so the Flames ability to add salary at upcoming deadlines and make other moves is going to be impacted by this signing for a long time.

Obviously I have watched Neal more this year than I have for the entirety of his previous playing career and I'm left wondering just how he has been able to accumulate the goals that he has scored.

Thirty plus games is more than a slump and Neal himself must be beyond frustrated. If he's not, I'd be very concerned. Yes I'm sure he's happy the team is winning but his contributions are going to be badly needed at some point.

Just now on the radio Francis and Wills were praising Peters for not scratching Neal, because Peters knows that wouldn't work for a guy like Neal. No idea how they came to that conclusion. Certainly not based on results.

I'm sure Bill Peters has a strong opinion on this and would love to hear his candid assessment.

With the team playing so well, there has been no urgency to figure this out but it's also not clear what the plan is/should be either.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:19 AM   #1183
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Bennett hasn't succeeded as an NHL level centre, true. But it might be that he can grow into it, and maybe he can do it this year.

BTW, Bennett at C wasn't just a GG thing. Lots of posters here were mad because he wasn't playing centre under Hartley (and GG when he was on the wing).

Thing is - his style looks like he wants to play down the middle. He's not an outside rusher like, say, Czarnik or Frolik. Also, most times players who struggle with C at the NHL level have trouble on the defensive aspects - it's way harder to play C defensively. Yet, I'm not sure that's Sam's issue.

At the end of the day, is he worse at C than Ryan or Jankowski. Or maybe a better C fit with Neal and Tkachuk? I think either Ryan or Jankowski could be pretty successful as a winger on the Backlund/Frolik line, so Bennett at C with Tkachuk and Neal wouldn't be something not worth trying.
By leaps and bounds.

He is not smart enough to play a 200' game in the middle....we watched it over and over and over again.

Why are people doing the square peg/round hole thing again when we just witnessed 2 years of that not working on multiple fronts with GG??
Old 12-17-2018, 10:43 AM   #1184
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

At some point it isn’t on every other player he has played with, it is on Neal.

I wish he was busting his butt trying to make some breaks for himself, but he is floating around a lot of the time hoping for a pass in prime spot.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 10:44 AM   #1185
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Why are people doing the square peg/round hole thing again when we just witnessed 2 years of that not working on multiple fronts with GG??
Probably because Gulutzan is a terrible coach so something not working with him doesn't mean a capable coach can't make it right.

Bennet at centre though? Yeah, time to move on. We've got Monahan, Lindholm, Backlund, Ryan and Jankowski, no room or need for 93 there.
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:09 AM   #1186
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
By leaps and bounds.

He is not smart enough to play a 200' game in the middle....we watched it over and over and over again.

I don't see anything better from Jankowski though. Ryan may be smarter, but not skilled enough to do what he wants to do with the puck.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #1187
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bingo posted in the "Bennett stole my girlfriend" thread as a response to people constantly making the assertion that Bennett was a bad centreman. Statistically that is simply not true. Memory of that era, with GG and Bennett not being immediately better than Monahan, is a little skewed.

During the Backlund injury, I would have honestly put Bennett at centre, because he wouldn't have been a downgrade on Neal or Jankowski.

The fact is, we have no idea what Bennett's ability at centre might be at this point in his career. I doubt we will ever know, as there are clearly no plans to ever try him there.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:24 AM   #1188
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
The fact is, we have no idea what Bennett's ability at centre might be at this point in his career. I doubt we will ever know, as there are clearly no plans to ever try him there.

If Bennett can't be particularly productive as a winger, as a center, with added defensive responsibilities, he would probably be even worse.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:35 AM   #1189
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
If Bennett can't be particularly productive as a winger, as a center, with added defensive responsibilities, he would probably be even worse.
This post has logical fallacies.

First, Bennett plays defence adequately enough to be a forward on the PK, in which he has to take the middle of the ice equally with his co-forward.

Second, it's not necessarily the case that a player can't do better at C than at W. It will depend on where they are comfortable, where their skill set lies. I just know that I see Bennett trying to carry the puck to the middle, and not rush down the wing. My point, I guess, is, that Bennett has grown as a player, and perhaps the flaws from previous seasons that kept him from being an effective centre have been addressed.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:55 AM   #1190
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What's with the Sam Bennett center talk in the James Neal thread? I thought this was all figured out by now. Sam Bennett doesn't have the right tools to play center. Not particular big, not a strong enough puck carrier up the middle, not a great puck distributor and tries to go one vs one too often. His game is perfectly tailor made for the wing where he doesn't have to worry about exiting and entering zones with the puck.

Instead, he can just focus on forechecking, hitting, grinding in the corners and crashing the net. Some may think differently, but personally, I think Sam Bennett should start to develop more of a power forward style like Tkachuk instead of a Monahan or a Backlund. Hit the weight room, gain more mass, stronger upper and lower body to protect the puck better and start practicing tipping pucks like Matthew. Why not have 2 pain in the asses for the opposition to handle in front of the net?
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:57 AM   #1191
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL Sam Bennett couldn't centre a line on the Townsend Tigers
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:59 AM   #1192
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
What's with the Sam Bennett center talk in the James Neal thread? I thought this was all figured out by now. Sam Bennett doesn't have the right tools to play center. Not particular big, not a strong enough puck carrier up the middle, not a great puck distributor and tries to go one vs one too often. His game is perfectly tailor made for the wing where he doesn't have to worry about exiting and entering zones with the puck.

Instead, he can just focus on forechecking, hitting, grinding in the corners and crashing the net. Some may think differently, but personally, I think Sam Bennett should start to develop more of a power forward style like Tkachuk instead of a Monahan or a Backlund. Hit the weight room, gain more mass, stronger upper and lower body to protect the puck better and start practicing tipping pucks like Matthew. Why not have 2 pain in the asses for the opposition to handle in front of the net?
If they are on the same line, one of those better be a centre. Otherwise it's a weird setup.

Anyway, the reason for the discussion is a few posts back. Who would be good linemates for Neal? Going by recent history, I suppose you could look for players like Haula and Perron.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #1193
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Always Earned Never Given For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 01:46 PM   #1194
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
If they are on the same line, one of those better be a centre. Otherwise it's a weird setup.

Anyway, the reason for the discussion is a few posts back. Who would be good linemates for Neal? Going by recent history, I suppose you could look for players like Haula and Perron.
If i had it my way, I’d keep Bennett on the 3rd line with Jankowski and maybe a Quine and have these guys play a heavier game. Have these guys win puck battles, cycle down low, get the puck back to the point and then crash the net. The best I’ve even seen Bennett and Jankowski play was in December of 2017 with Jagr when they played a heavier game down low.

It’s too bad the Flames couldn’t land Patrick Maroon instead because he would’ve been a better fit on this team. As for James Neal, guy has played with every single player on this team and in all offensive zone situations and he just can’t figure it out. In his better games he still can’t produce and in bad games, he might be the worst player on the ice.

The Flames just don’t seem to have a player who can work with him. He’s too easy to cover, gets frustrated too easily, can’t seem to make plays and he can’t seem to finish when the chance arrives once in a blue moon. I know a lot people are holding out that once he scores, the floodgates will open. But I just don’t see that happening because I don’t think it’s a confidence issue. It’s not like it happened when he scored against Colorado. The fit just isn’t good.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:48 PM   #1195
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Earned Never Given View Post
What is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:49 PM   #1196
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
What is this?
It's Ryan Leslie and Mikael Backlund, of course.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 01:49 PM   #1197
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
What is this?

It’s a Backlund but of course you knew that.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:50 PM   #1198
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
It's Ryan Leslie and Mikael Backlund, of course.
Well. Thanks.

School's out, I presume?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:56 PM   #1199
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Terrible way to try and slight Bennett... not something to laugh at honestly.
Royle9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:56 PM   #1200
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Well. Thanks.

School's out, I presume?
Indeed. Successful first semester in the books. It'll be nice to come home.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote