Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-06-2018, 08:14 PM   #1
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Ongoing YYCCC (Chu + Farkas) Transgressions Threat

I didn't see anything generic for this, but now with the buffoonery doubled in the Calgary City Council, maybe it is time for a YYCCC transgressions thread.

First is the latest news with the usual culprits, Chu and Farkas, attempting to pass off inaccuracies they gleaned off of social media as facts, and then acting defensive about it.

https://www.660citynews.com/2018/12/...in-nine-years/

Quote:
On Thursday, during a Transportation and Transit Committee meeting, there was a spat between councillors Evan Woolley and Sean Chu. Woolley criticized Chu about a statistic over the number of cyclists in the city, saying that Chu knowingly used a false number.
Chu then criticized Woolley for taking a personal shot at him, at which point Keating — the committee chair — intervened and said they do need to be more vocal about misinformation.
Quote:
Earlier in the week, Keating used the same two words during a committee meeting when Ward 11’s Jeromy Farkas discussed the size of protests when federal Finance Minister Bill Morneau visited the city.
Farkas told reporters he received that information from social media.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 10:26 PM   #2
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many idiots do we still have in Council that voted to get rid of fluoride in the water?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:29 PM   #3
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
How many idiots do we still have in Council that voted to get rid of fluoride in the water?
Druh Farrell was the most vocal about it, and now we have worse teeth compared to our hick neighbours to the North.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:21 AM   #4
CETokyo
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I live in Tokyo but we have house we rent out in Lakeview.
Farkas is our ward 11 Alderman and I do not understand how this guy got elected.
What is he trying to do/achieve? I don't get it.
CETokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:36 AM   #5
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm also stuck with Farkas.
I cringe every time I hear something stupid come out of City Hall because it's almost inevitably led by Farkas.

I'm pretty sure he got elected because of the NIMBYs in Eagle Ridge, Pump Hill, Bayview voting for him. He ran on a base of opposing the 14th St BRT.
Mass_nerder is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 06:49 AM   #6
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Druh Farrell was the most vocal about it, and now we have worse teeth compared to our hick neighbours to the North.
Can't blame Ontario and Quebec for this as Calgarians have to take responsibility for voting in dummies. Farrell is long past her expiry yet ward 7 seems to keep voting her in to spite the rest of the city.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:53 AM   #7
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Can't blame Ontario and Quebec for this as Calgarians have to take responsibility for voting in dummies. Farrell is long past her expiry yet ward 7 seems to keep voting her in to spite the rest of the city.
She represents her wards interests well and is good left wing voice on Canada. I think her positions are likely held by at least 1/14 of Calgarians so her voice adds to council.

Fluoride should be legislated at the provincial level for cities of x size
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 06:54 AM   #8
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
She represents her wards interests well and is good left wing voice on Canada. I think her positions are likely held by at least 1/14 of Calgarians so her voice adds to council.

No.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:09 AM   #9
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I'm also stuck with Farkas.
I cringe every time I hear something stupid come out of City Hall because it's almost inevitably led by Farkas.

I'm pretty sure he got elected because of the NIMBYs in Eagle Ridge, Pump Hill, Bayview voting for him. He ran on a base of opposing the 14th St BRT.
You think you have it bad? I got stuffed in Chu's ward when they redrew boundaries. Voted for Greg Miller, and he was so close....I have no idea how people with brains voted for Chu over Miller.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 07:44 AM   #10
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
wasn't there a huge uproar to have council revisit that decision? what happened with that?
one of the stupidest things Calgary council ever decided.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:23 AM   #11
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fluoride thing managed to be the perfect storm of all of the anti-vaxxer, anti-science, and the fiscal conversatives getting together against public health.

How about we remove calcium from the water though. Oh all the things that the city has too much of in the water, my kettle has stalagmites after a week.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:08 AM   #12
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

What sucks about it is that fluoride isn't consider a big deal to the general public, so we're never going to get rid of it since it's never gonna be an election issue.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:35 PM   #13
CETokyo
Farm Team Player

Exp:

A few questions
Are Chu and Farkas just simple self-promoters looking to do well for themselves (garner attention) or is there more to it?

Is council functional or is made up of factions (groups of councilors with an agenda) to the point of not functioning?
I had perceived in the past it was factions along the lines of developers vs .....not developers(?) ?
CETokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #14
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
What sucks about it is that fluoride isn't consider a big deal to the general public, so we're never going to get rid of it since it's never gonna be an election issue.
Get rid of? You are aware that it was removed in 2011...right?
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:01 PM   #15
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

She used to, but lately she has slide so far left She has become a characture of herself. The only one to vote against even talking to the Flames again, the claim she was open minded yet was totally not on the olympics, complete devotion to the densification and cycling of the inner city.

She basically has become ultra progressive in the same vein as Farkas is ultra regressive. That sounds good, but unless Portland is doing it she is against it no conversation allowed. Trust me I have tried to engage her in social media and all I get is uppity liberal snark back, and I live inner city, am post secondary educated and drive a german car! I think I am part of the base you mention yuppies, hippies, and hipsters.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 09:17 PM   #16
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
She used to, but lately she has slide so far left She has become a characture of herself. The only one to vote against even talking to the Flames again, the claim she was open minded yet was totally not on the olympics, complete devotion to the densification and cycling of the inner city.

She basically has become ultra progressive in the same vein as Farkas is ultra regressive. That sounds good, but unless Portland is doing it she is against it no conversation allowed. Trust me I have tried to engage her in social media and all I get is uppity liberal snark back, and I live inner city, am post secondary educated and drive a german car! I think I am part of the base you mention yuppies, hippies, and hipsters.
And 7% of the city backs these extreme points of view. Her presence on council provides value and represents Calgarians. Find me any issue where you believe that isn’t representing a minority view of a portion of Calgary. I think Farkas is an idiot in the way he presents his views but his views certainly represent a segment of Calgarians who should be allowed to shout at clouds and then be ignored.

Calgary is better off having these extremes on council and looking at the voting patterns of council typical left right coalition do not exist. This is a good thing and I think the broad spectrum of ideas helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 09:50 PM   #17
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There are so many things here I disagree with I don't even know where to start.

I'll stick to facts though.

She is supporting a $40M affordable housing initiative on 20th Ave and 6th St NW. In a city that has a huge amount of rental properties and apartments...how is this a good use of money.

Why don't we think a little smarter and try to help fill rental properties throughout the city before blowing $40M on an initiative like this.

I can't stand her and 95% of what comes out of her mouth, so thanks for speaking for me that she represents my community well. No she does not.
simmer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:11 PM   #18
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer2 View Post
There are so many things here I disagree with I don't even know where to start.

I'll stick to facts though.

She is supporting a $40M affordable housing initiative on 20th Ave and 6th St NW. In a city that has a huge amount of rental properties and apartments...how is this a good use of money.

Why don't we think a little smarter and try to help fill rental properties throughout the city before blowing $40M on an initiative like this.

I can't stand her and 95% of what comes out of her mouth, so thanks for speaking for me that she represents my community well. No she does not.
I’m not speaking for you.

I’m not sure what you disagree with in my post as you disagreeing with affordable housing being an unmet need in Calgary and you disagreeing with 95% of what she says does not change anything about my statement.

Which more or less was two things

1)she represents her ward well. She pushes for densification and for revitalization and investment into the inner city. This benefits her ward through increased land values and ensures sprawl doesn’t destroy the long term cost structure of the city. Regardless of your position on the other issues Druh centric policies increase inner city land values and livability.

2) her wacky positions are supported by 7% of the Calgary pop. I can’t prove this but I think most ideas polled garner this minimal level of support so I’m confident in saying even her dumbest ideas have support relative to her vote in council.

That she continues to get elected shows that a large portion of residents agree with her positions though some of that is due to incumbency and vote splitting. For a person who is as outspoken as she is and who is as different from the city “typical” view as she is to continue to get re-elected also demonstrates the value the people in her ward find her.

How would you approach affordable housing? It seems a really odd thing to be annoyed about. One option could be to Subsidize private owners to rent at below market rates is an interesting approach but in hot markets it becomes more and more expensive to maintain supply.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #19
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The whole council is rotten. I'm glad I don't live in Calgary anymore. I'll enjoy my property tax decrease this year :-)
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:48 PM   #20
GaiJin
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

These guys got elected and are doing exactly what they campaigned on, and to pretend all is well down there after the Olympic fiasco, is idiotic at best.
GaiJin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat