Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-01-2017, 07:50 AM   #1
LGA
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Looking for Travel Advice (Japan)

Hey CP,

My wife and I are planning on going to Japan for 2 1/2 weeks in October for our honeymoon. I was wondering if any CPers that have gone to Japan have any recommendations in regards to airlines for the flights there and back, traveling around within Japan, good places to visit, etc.

Thanks in advance!
LGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:10 AM   #2
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know the schedule but if it is a sumo season my wife and I had a great time watching a tournament. It was pretty easy to navigate the online ticket purchase. Kyoto was a great city to dive into the older culture of Japan. If you want really traditional Japan try to book a guesthouse in the hills somewhere. It isn't cheap but a really interesting and relaxing way to see how they used to live.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GP_Matt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 08:18 AM   #3
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Sumo season is unfortunately in Februrary/March so unfortunately it can't be.

Try and get on a flight via Vancouver or direct from Calgary, no sense in saving 20 bucks to fly through the States. More trouble than it's worth. Usually the YYC Travel Junkie thread has a deal to Japan that comes up once every 4-6 months or so but it's been absent lately. However, you can get good prices if going in October, as it's between tourist seasons.

You'll likely fly into Narita, but if you can, fly to Haneda. Basically a downtown airport and way faster. Narita you need to take the "Narita Express" line to major stations in Tokyo, or have to take a slower train or cab. It's about $26 if I remember but you get to Tokyo in 30 minutes as opposed to two hours.

Have you done any searching about where you'd like to stay in Tokyo? I recommend Shibuya, Shinjuku, Roppongi, Ginza, or Asakusa for good balances between being central and seeing alot.

You would be amiss if you didn't take a train to Kyoto and see that too for a day or two. Beautiful place and has alot of Edo-era Japan, the kind of things you'd see in a historical documentary.

I could write more but I recommend looking at TripAdvisor.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
LGA
Old 08-01-2017, 08:29 AM   #4
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We went to visit Taiwan and on our way we had a lay over in Japan for a week or so and it was probably my favorite trip I've taken.

We wanted to travel all over Japan and went to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and a few other places I don't quite remember. But we got the rail pass which apparently you need to order ahead of time and is only open to visitors but it saved us a pretty penny. Transportation there can really add up fast.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wooohooo For This Useful Post:
LGA
Old 08-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #5
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you go to Kyoto, take a 45 min train to nearby Nara. It is quiet and beautiful and with lots of traditional architecture, and on Sundays, the city lets wildlife running on to down. I bumped into a bunch of reindeer when I was there.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 09:35 AM   #6
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
If you go to Kyoto, take a 45 min train to nearby Nara. It is quiet and beautiful and with lots of traditional architecture, and on Sundays, the city lets wildlife running on to down. I bumped into a bunch of reindeer when I was there.
I have my name on a tile on the Todai-ji Temple! There is also some great hiking around Nara, it used to be the capital of Japan way back in the day if I recall.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:37 AM   #7
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

And yes LGA - you absolutely must get the Rail Pass if you are planning to leave Tokyo for any reason. And you can only get it in Canada, you cannot get it once you are there. You have to go to Nippon Travel (close to the old Science Centre) to get it. Otherwise, train tickets will be expensive, and the train pass lets you freely take all the trains you want (except for the Nozomi and Shinkansen trains). You still have to reserve seats though on many of the trains, however).
Old 08-01-2017, 10:09 AM   #8
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife and I are poking at the idea as well. We're planning to do Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara (deer park). Random things I've noticed already based on research and chatting with those who have gone recently (Not exhaustive):

- JR National pass should be acquired before you go. I ordered mine online for around $330 per person including delivery and as far as I can tell offers unlimited usage of the JR rail line for a set amount of days. Supposedly they can courier it to you within about 3 business days. You receive a document to exchange at a JR exchange station. Look up the exchange locations to determine how to exchange it. No idea whether there's even cheaper options.

- HOWEVER, JR is 1 of about 5 rail companies. It's not "compatible" with the other rail lines. For the other modes of transportation, consider a Suica or Pasmo. It's a re loadable card used for travel and on occasion paying for small items.

- Taxis are expensive, most people I talk to say don't bother. Unless you're ridiculously rich.

- Although wifi is everywhere, logging in is not easy. Consider looking into a Japan data SIM card or a pocket wifi. The latter is more expensive than the former.

- Download Google translate on your phone and download the Japan language pack. Even offline, you can take a picture with Japanese words, and get a rough translation. Signs, packages, books etc. can be photographed, then you highlight a section you want to know and it will translate.

- Convenience stores are freaking awesome. A few friends who have gone before (me included) don't bat an eye at the idea of dropping a few hundred CAD$ in them. So many delicious things there at prices not horribly different to supermarkets.

- Etiquette is a major culture shocker. You may want to spend a little time looking it up. The major one that I always forget is money exchange. You generally place the money in a tray they provide.

- Many friends say spend more time in Kyoto if you like the old style stuff. Ryokan, onsen and dress up in traditional clothing for a photo shoot are worth looking into, but do come with minor culture shock. If not all out photo shoot, you can rent traditional clothing in Kyoto and wander around the city in that for a few hours. 5/50 Yen coins are considered good luck. Save those for the temples.

- Beds in Japan are really small. Don't chase the best prices, make sure it's a room you can be comfortable in. Many rooms are ok for 1 person and very crowded for 2. Not idea for "honeymoon" activities. Some reviews on some hotels also mention sound proofing that leaves something to be desired.

- There's supposedly a ton of stuff that is super cool, but cannot be purchased by foreigners. Usually, this stuff is technology related.

- Shoes. Lots of walking has been noticed when I eyeball our mock itinerary thus far. Good shoes and good insoles/gel heel slips will go a long way. Consider practical shoes that match outfits prior to going on the trip if needed.

- Always give yourself extra time. Don't plan too many things each day. I'd expect to get lost a few times. If you're early, always cool things like a convenience store or road side things to look at.

- Japan only things. Go look at giant robots, Disney Sea, Ghibli, culture, crazy vending machines, food, pachinko... Just watching people doing their regular day activities is as fascinating as tourist traps on occasion.

- Time management. There's too much to see in Japan to see it all on your trip. Plan accordingly, realize you may have to drop certain items off your itinerary. But it's ok! It just means there's reasons to go back to Japan later on.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:12 AM   #9
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Creamed corn in a can from the vending machine is my favorite item when I have no money!
Old 08-01-2017, 10:16 AM   #10
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ so what is the rationale behind not allowing foreigners to buy technology related stuff? is it just available there before it is available here?

could a person not persude a local to buy it and then buy it off the local?
Old 08-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #11
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Creamed corn in a can from the vending machine is my favorite item when I have no money!
The variety of hot things you can get from from vending machines is mind blowing.

Oh, forgot to mention. Oddly, for a tech amazing country, credit card adoption in Japan isn't like here. Make sure you have enough (a lot) cash to get you through your trip.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:29 AM   #12
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
The variety of hot things you can get from from vending machines is mind blowing.

Oh, forgot to mention. Oddly, for a tech amazing country, credit card adoption in Japan isn't like here. Make sure you have enough (a lot) cash to get you through your trip.
Quoted for truth on both accounts.

To LGA and anyone going - bring cash, and always have it on hand. And if not, your Suica or Pasmo card will suffice. I highly recommend getting one, and you can get a tourist one at Narita that I think gives you extra credit or a discount on a train deal or something. It's been a while.

FYI - Pasmo and Suica are great for using the non-JR trains around Tokyo and beyond. The JR Pass should only be considered if you are planning on going elsewhere other than where you land (Tokyo or Osaka).
Old 08-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #13
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you're planning on buying tickets to visit the Studio Ghibli museum, you have to buy them in advance. I believe you also have to pick a specific day.

Also, I remember it not being the easiest place to get to either. Needed a train, another train, bus, then a walk.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #14
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ so what is the rationale behind not allowing foreigners to buy technology related stuff? is it just available there before it is available here?

could a person not persude a local to buy it and then buy it off the local?
I looked it up and it seems like there no longer is a restriction on purchasing tech. I could be out of date with that point. Last time I was in Japan I believe was around 2008 or 2009. Sorry. Can anyone else confirm what the reasoning for the technology restriction was back in the day?

For instance, there are just some items that are not compatible with Canada. some phones for instance can have things like TV and radio built in (and have for probably a decade or more) but we don't have that ability here.

Rice cookers are super advanced. Ranging from things like self washing rice cookers, to having advanced pressure cooker tech added in to allow for cooking of more than just rice, really fast.

Additional random:

Tipping is often refused in Japanese culture. They don't like it, nearly insulting to them.

IIRC, when I went to Japan, they needed my finger print. Except they wanted the index fingers prints, not thumbs.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:34 AM   #15
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
If you're planning on buying tickets to visit the Studio Ghibli museum, you have to buy them in advance. I believe you also have to pick a specific day.

Also, I remember it not being the easiest place to get to either. Needed a train, another train, bus, then a walk.
Nah, just have to take the Keio line from Shibuya to Kichioji. One train and walk 15 mins.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:43 AM   #16
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be blunt...everything I've done when in Japan has been great. Go. Relax. Enjoy.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 11:12 AM   #17
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

The sushi and poke bowls at Tsukiji Fish Market.... oh my god.

LGA - go there. You have to be there early (6 AM) to see the market and I believe they only let in a limited amount of people now to see the auction, but definitely worth it.

See Hiroshima if you can too... it's terrific. Just take the bullet train.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:18 AM   #18
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

We went to Japan for our honeymoon too!

Jigokudani Park (monkeys in hot springs) was a real highlight for us. Not sure if October is a good time but if it is I'd recommend checking it out!
Spoiler!

Lots of other good recommendations here. For Tokyo....Harajuku was everything crazy you expect from Tokyo.
Spoiler!

Golden Gai is worth checking out for an evening - a bunch of tiny 4-6 person bars all crammed in one street.

Everything is cash based in Japan so make sure you take lots of Yen. That said, it's very safe so you need to be concerned about carry thousands of yen around.

Last edited by Torture; 08-01-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:38 AM   #19
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Everything is cash based in Japan so make sure you take lots of Yen. That said, it's very safe so you need to be concerned about carry thousands of yen around.
Last time we went I feel like it was a bit better. Many places take credit now. However, none of my TD cards worked when I was there which was a nightmare. Same with debit... nothing worked at any ATM and TD theorized their POS systems are newer and wouldn't communicate with our cards apparently created by luddites.

So if you do run into issues with taking out cash, they have older ATM's in some post offices which do work.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:40 AM   #20
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGA View Post
Hey CP,

My wife and I are planning on going to Japan for 2 1/2 weeks in October for our honeymoon. I was wondering if any CPers that have gone to Japan have any recommendations in regards to airlines for the flights there and back, traveling around within Japan, good places to visit, etc.

Thanks in advance!
I just went in February to go snowboarding, so not alot of alignment with your intent.

That said, my only feedback is once you fly within the country, with a domestic, to ENSURE your baggage is within weight, or purchase overweight BEFORE the baggage counter.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote