Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #1401
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Played in my wife's company golf tournament on Friday, reached into my bag to pull out my wedge and it's not in there. I must have left it on a green at another course.

Luckily we won the tournament, so I spent my winnings on a new wedge.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #1402
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Played a 4 Man Best Ball yesterday and the winning team shot 53.

Have you guys ever seen such a low score in that format?

Seems pretty hard to comprehend.

Last edited by prarieboy; 09-12-2017 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Entered specific format
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #1403
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post

I bet they played a scramble and didn't understand what best ball is. Or was that the net score with handicap? I've gone 15 under on a scramble before.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:28 AM   #1404
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

I might have the term wrong. Each player made a tee shot and the team decided the best shot. Everyone played from there and this was repeated all the way to the hole.

Scramble or Best Ball?
Old 09-12-2017, 10:31 AM   #1405
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I might have the term wrong. Each player made a tee shot and the team decided the best shot. Everyone played from there and this was repeated all the way to the hole.

Scramble or Best Ball?
Scramble. Best ball is you all play your own ball and whoever gets the lowest score on the hole is your teams score for that hole.

Pinebrook or Glencoe yesterday by chance?
Old 09-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #1406
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Pinebrook
Old 09-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #1407
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pinebrook
Ah yah I played in that one too. Didn't stick around for prizes though because it was already 8:30 and they didn't look like they were getting ready to get started.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:55 AM   #1408
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

It was really slow. My wife did win a nice portable phone charger for longest ladies putt but I thought the prizes for the most part were underwhelming.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:26 AM   #1409
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Scramble. Best ball is you all play your own ball and whoever gets the lowest score on the hole is your teams score for that hole.
This is incorrect.

Better ball is where you play your own ball and take the lowest score. This is formally called fourball. In the Ryder Cup you'll have two teams of two playing against each other. Each golfer plays their own ball. Whichever score is the lowest on each hole is awarded the hole.

Best ball is one player playing against the better ball of two other players, or the best ball (played under better ball rules, but is best ball to be grammatically correct) of three other players.

Texas scramble is when four players all tee off, and then they all play the next shot from the same spot. This continues through the hole.

The USGA does not use the terms best ball or better ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:59 PM   #1410
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It can be called Best ball, better ball, or Four ball.

I have never heard anyone around here call it anything but Best ball.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:09 PM   #1411
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yes, my team won a scramble with a 52, and we parred a hole. We pitched in on our 18th hole for eagle, our 2nd of the day. Our first we missed albatross by a couple of feet. You just need the right mix of players and everyone to be on.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:48 PM   #1412
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Shot an 87 this past weekend in Crowsnest Pass. It was the first time that I've broke 90. It felt so good knowing that I had plenty of birdie opportunities. My consistency and trying not to kill the ball has been huge for my game and I'm hoping that I can carry it forward onto next year. It has also been great to see the progress of the new holes as they move forward
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brocoli For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2017, 11:48 AM   #1413
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played at McKenzie meadows yesterday in a scramble tournament. It was a blast but I wish I could have had that type of individual round for me. Had 2 eagle opportunities (par 5 hit the pin from 15 yards out, put my tee shot on the green on a par 4, putt stopped a foot and a half away) using all my own shots.

Question for the group, my irons are really old (15 ish years) and could probably use replacing. Has anyone been fitted for irons before? Who did you use and did you notice an improvement after?

A bit of background on my golf game, I'm generally low to mid 90's, 10 rounds a year (more next year thanks to a new job) and a moderate length hitter. My issues have been position of contact on the club face as well as swing flow/body timing.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:24 PM   #1414
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Has anyone been fitted for irons before? Who did you use and did you notice an improvement after?
I've been fitted many times and have done dozens myself. I recommend it, if you have the ability to make a consistent swing and find the middle of the club face. Yes, club fitting will help, but remember one thing about golf, "it ain't the arrow, it's the guy behind the bow."

As to who to use, I would recommend a club pro, first and foremost. If they have a fitting cart, they will likely be trained in how to use it. Plus, you establish a relationship with a pro who can help you with lessons and tweaking your game. If you're looking for a quick fit, a place with a launch meter will be able to do the job. Golftown for example. I still recommend a pro who knows how the swing works and will do the work.

Quote:
A bit of background on my golf game, I'm generally low to mid 90's, 10 rounds a year (more next year thanks to a new job) and a moderate length hitter. My issues have been position of contact on the club face as well as swing flow/body timing.
Herein lies the problem with fitting. The guy fitting you is going to struggle to fit you if you do not have a consistent swing and don't hit the ball consistently. This is a catch-22, but it is a reality of trying to fit someone. A guy should be putting you on impact tape to find out if there is any adjustments in lie. Impact tape will also tell the fitter if you are finding the middle of the club face, which is crucial in a fitting. If you are not hitting groups the size of a dime on face tape, and not making a mark the size of your little finger on the sole tape, I personally would be wary of making a recommendation, and I wouldn't accept the recommendation. It is up to you though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #1415
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I've been fitted many times and have done dozens myself. I recommend it, if you have the ability to make a consistent swing and find the middle of the club face. Yes, club fitting will help, but remember one thing about golf, "it ain't the arrow, it's the guy behind the bow."

As to who to use, I would recommend a club pro, first and foremost. If they have a fitting cart, they will likely be trained in how to use it. Plus, you establish a relationship with a pro who can help you with lessons and tweaking your game. If you're looking for a quick fit, a place with a launch meter will be able to do the job. Golftown for example. I still recommend a pro who knows how the swing works and will do the work.

Herein lies the problem with fitting. The guy fitting you is going to struggle to fit you if you do not have a consistent swing and don't hit the ball consistently. This is a catch-22, but it is a reality of trying to fit someone. A guy should be putting you on impact tape to find out if there is any adjustments in lie. Impact tape will also tell the fitter if you are finding the middle of the club face, which is crucial in a fitting. If you are not hitting groups the size of a dime on face tape, and not making a mark the size of your little finger on the sole tape, I personally would be wary of making a recommendation, and I wouldn't accept the recommendation. It is up to you though.
It's definitely a case of lack of commitment to the game for me. This year was 10 rounds and years prior it has been about 5. My hope next year is to hit 20 rounds and with my schedule that should be doable.

If I'm reading your post correctly it be most beneficial to go to a pro first for lessons and then club fitting. Or should I get some impact tape, gauge my consistency and then determine if lessons are worthwhile?
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:25 PM   #1416
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
If I'm reading your post correctly it be most beneficial to go to a pro first for lessons and then club fitting. Or should I get some impact tape, gauge my consistency and then determine if lessons are worthwhile?
Take some lessons and get your swing under control. Once you have a consistent swing and you're hitting the ball more consistently, then invest in the fitting and new clubs. Consider this getting a new suit when you're thinking about going on a diet. Do you get the custom suit before or after you address your weight control issue?
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2017, 11:12 AM   #1417
loob job
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What is the best app out there to track your handicap?
loob job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:16 AM   #1418
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loob job View Post
I use golf gamebook to keep my stats and score when I play as its super easy and all my friends use it.

Then I just use an online tool to calculate my index.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2017, 11:44 AM   #1419
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loob job View Post
Skygolf 360 is pretty good and it's free. Also has a website.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #1420
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played Springbank Links yesterday... the front nine is stupidly difficult! Nice views though!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow