Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2020, 04:02 PM   #3341
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post
Depends on your situation I think. If you are playing say regular mens league, Club Championships, maintaining a handicap... it only makes sense to play by the rules.

There are a lot of 15 or so handicaps at our course that constantly complain about never placing and winning money on mens nights. Some of whom I have played with and I watch them take the same liberties over and over again. Lots of gimmes, stroke and distance for OB, the list goes on... They pretty much never shoot their handicap during any league or club event because they are driving down their handicaps during regular play. For some reason, their handicap on Golf Canada and how low it is ...is most important

Our Mens League is pretty simple...if you shoot your cap your likely in the money every week. Which is how it should be especially with them tightening it to best 8 of 20 rounds this year.
With it taking the best 8 out of 20 rounds I find it difficult to explain to a few people how they shouldn't shoot their handicap every round, so if they're a 10 its perfectly plausible they'll have a few 90s rounds.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rutuu For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 08:25 PM   #3342
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
With it taking the best 8 out of 20 rounds I find it difficult to explain to a few people how they shouldn't shoot their handicap every round, so if they're a 10 its perfectly plausible they'll have a few 90s rounds.
I'm 7.2 right now and have shot anywhere between 77 and 95 this year.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:03 PM   #3343
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post
Depends on your situation I think. If you are playing say regular mens league, Club Championships, maintaining a handicap... it only makes sense to play by the rules.

There are a lot of 15 or so handicaps at our course that constantly complain about never placing and winning money on mens nights. Some of whom I have played with and I watch them take the same liberties over and over again. Lots of gimmes, stroke and distance for OB, the list goes on... They pretty much never shoot their handicap during any league or club event because they are driving down their handicaps during regular play. For some reason, their handicap on Golf Canada and how low it is ...is most important

Our Mens League is pretty simple...if you shoot your cap your likely in the money every week. Which is how it should be especially with them tightening it to best 8 of 20 rounds this year.
Our Mens League has a seperate handicap from the Golf Canada one. It's based on games you play during mens league.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:46 PM   #3344
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I've had stretches this summer where my game had gone into the sewer, leaving me to wonder what happened to my game. There was a time where I considered packing it in for the summer as it wasn't fun anymore

These past 2 weeks have seen a dramatic turn around in my game. Last week I got low net in Men's League and I find out tonight that I got low net in the B division. I'm thinking I got lucky at the right time.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:09 AM   #3345
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played a 3 hour round last night at Bearspaw and it is the quickest and one of the most difficult rounds I have done. We started at 5:40 and finished at 8:30. Moving along that quickly was actually more difficult than I expected and it resulted in quite a few miss-hits. I applaud anyone that can play such quick rounds as it felt uncomfortable for me and I was really rushed and out of my comfort zone.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:32 AM   #3346
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Played a 3 hour round last night at Bearspaw and it is the quickest and one of the most difficult rounds I have done. We started at 5:40 and finished at 8:30. Moving along that quickly was actually more difficult than I expected and it resulted in quite a few miss-hits. I applaud anyone that can play such quick rounds as it felt uncomfortable for me and I was really rushed and out of my comfort zone.
I played a round in about 3:15 last weekend. The forecast was terrible, so everyone bailed on their times and the course was wide open. There were two for nine and then I played the back nine by myself, so I was able to hit 2 balls and that sort of thing (I didn't actually want to catch the group ahead in case they asked me to join up!). I thought it was great!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:03 AM   #3347
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I played a round in about 3:15 last weekend. The forecast was terrible, so everyone bailed on their times and the course was wide open. There were two for nine and then I played the back nine by myself, so I was able to hit 2 balls and that sort of thing (I didn't actually want to catch the group ahead in case they asked me to join up!). I thought it was great!
The difference between a good, you, and average, me, golfer probably explains the experience. I can score a 90 or so under ideal conditions (the right pace of play and the right mindset.) If I'm not in the right frame of mind or the pace is slow and I'm waiting around or rushed by the group behind it really throws off my game.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:43 AM   #3348
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's also getting pretty close to twilight, I'm impressed. I wonder if you were the group (threesome I think?) that was on the 16th tee as I drove past ~8pm. It was getting shadowy at that time and I was thinking to myself those guys won't finish before dark.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:53 AM   #3349
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
That's also getting pretty close to twilight, I'm impressed. I wonder if you were the group (threesome I think?) that was on the 16th tee as I drove past ~8pm. It was getting shadowy at that time and I was thinking to myself those guys won't finish before dark.
It might have been. I think there was only two groups left out there on the back nine at the time. We were a threesome with carts and there was a threesome that was walking that we ended up catching up to on 18. On 17 and 18 and we certainly couldn't see our tee shots anymore.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:48 AM   #3350
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The difference between a good, you, and average, me, golfer probably explains the experience. I can score a 90 or so under ideal conditions (the right pace of play and the right mindset.) If I'm not in the right frame of mind or the pace is slow and I'm waiting around or rushed by the group behind it really throws off my game.
Haha, I'm not good at all! I just enjoyed that there was no pressure at all; no one behind me to worry about on the tee box or anything and the people ahead were far enough ahead that I could just play at a comfortable pace. The thing that made it quick is that for half I was alone. Basically I could hit my shot, walk to the ball, and not wait for anyone else or anything like that.

I find that waiting for shots really throws me off though. I played earlier this summer and hit a great drive, and then we had to wait for 5-7 minutes and my next shot ruined that. It's pretty common for that to happen to me when there is to much thinking involved.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:55 PM   #3351
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
I'm the opposite, I'm right in my comfort zone when I can quickly figure out what I want to do, take two practice swings and fire for a whole round. Just amazing when that happens and usually gets me my lowest scores.

When I'm waiting more than 3-4 mins on every hole I'm ****ed and still can't figure out how to play in that environment, and that's most rounds in Calgary these days.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:07 PM   #3352
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone get out this weekend?

I had a lesson, and the subsequent 9-hole shocker that follows said lesson as I was trying to make the suggested changes to my address. Went 57 - 40 for a 97. What a game. Still loved getting out there though, and the ones that I did catch well were extra crisp with the changes the golf pro suggested.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:20 AM   #3353
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

did an early morning quick back 9 at McCall on Sunday. Little bit chilly but nice to get out and the Solo players that joined us were decent company.

I'm still a beginner (shooting 110-130), taking lessons right now but having a hard time still with my irons on the course.
I think my biggest challenge right now is adapting for non perfect lies. One thing to practice off a mat, or off flat grass at the driving range, but another to hit on slopes / downhill / uphill / etc...

At least my driver and wood have been a lot more consistent since starting lessons.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:50 AM   #3354
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have the Optishot Golf in a Box simulator?
Considering it for my office to golf through the winter.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 02:39 PM   #3355
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

The optishot looks sweet. Definitely get one and let us know.

I love hitting balls myself. My dream is a hole in the backyard, but a golf Sim is a realistic goal. A lot of the new systems look amazing and attainable too.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:54 AM   #3356
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I haven't ever hit into a simulator I like, or find super accurate. Could just be me, as I know people who love them in the winter.

I would like to put a decent putting green in my basement. If I ever owned a house with a backyard, I would have a putting/chipping green installed with plugs for the cups and you could still have a yard space.

That's just dreaming though.
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:59 AM   #3357
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomerPile View Post
I haven't ever hit into a simulator I like, or find super accurate. Could just be me, as I know people who love them in the winter.

I would like to put a decent putting green in my basement. If I ever owned a house with a backyard, I would have a putting/chipping green installed with plugs for the cups and you could still have a yard space.

That's just dreaming though.

Ya I priced a 20x10 green for our backyard as we needed to change thing to fix a water issue and they are pricey. $13,000 was his starting point so it will stay a Lotto Max dream for me too
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:28 AM   #3358
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

My golf course held it's second annual Night Golf Tournament last night. Glow balls and glow sticks to mark the fairway and surround the greens. We had 80 golfers playing 9 holes and it turned out to be a huge success.

If you ever get a chance to play in one I would highly encourage it.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:05 AM   #3359
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

That sounds pretty cool. The glow balls should definitely help. I want to get some to play the night course here. It's got lights but if you're off the fairway it's tough.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:36 PM   #3360
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Man, golf. Hitting one over through 8, then lost tee shot, proceed to hit drop shot into water, finish the 9 at 5 over. Then start the back nine with 4 pars, feeling great, everything's working.... triple bogey, double bogey, round unrecoverable.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow