Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 12-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #181
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I was stuck behind a car going 40 in my neighborhood for a long stretch last week and it was driving me crazy as it's so slow. Driving 30 in a playground zone is only palpable because you know it's only for a few blocks and even at that I'm typically going 35 or so because it feels like you are at a cycling speed.
It's funny because those who agree with reducing to 30 are imagining the speed of a quiet side street (50 is too fast); while those oppose it are imagining Elbow Drive and every other collector road in basically every neighbourhood where 30 is retar-deadly (pun intended in this case) slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
One step closer to this:

Spoiler!
And again, proving E=NG

Last edited by Ducay; 12-02-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 04:40 PM   #182
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
It's funny because those who agree with reducing to 30 are imagining the speed of a quiet side street (50 is too fast); while those oppose it are imagining Elbow Drive and every other collector road in basically every neighbourhood where 30 is retar-deadly (pun intended in this case) slow.
And that's the issue -- people who support this doesn't realize just how sweepingly broad these changes are going to be. Add to that is they don't know, acknowledge, or care about the fact that pedestrian collisions in this city overwhelmingly occur on streets and in areas that won't be affected by this change at all.

It's Helen Lovejoy in legislative form -- won't someone think of the children!
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 04:41 PM   #183
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:25 PM   #184
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

On collector roads (main streets in communities), going below 50 km/h is stupid, and the public needs to fight council on this to ensure it doesn't happen.

On residential streets (off of collector roads), 30 km/h isn't unreasonable. It's not necessary (that's what playground zones are for), but it's not going to bitch too much about that.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:42 PM   #185
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
And that's the issue -- people who support this doesn't realize just how sweepingly broad these changes are going to be. Add to that is they don't know, acknowledge, or care about the fact that pedestrian collisions in this city overwhelmingly occur on streets and in areas that won't be affected by this change at all.

It's Helen Lovejoy in legislative form -- won't someone think of the children!
First they came for our fluoride and I said nothing because I have no teeth.

Then they came for our School Zones and I said nothing because I live in a new suburb and they won't build a school in this neighbourhood for 20 years.

Now they come for my 50km/h speed limit and no one can speak up because we're all stuck in a traffic jam trying to leave our driveways.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:17 PM   #186
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Now they come for my 50km/h speed limit and no one can speak up because we're all stuck in a traffic jam trying to leave our driveways.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:17 PM   #187
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 10:40 AM   #188
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, the time is upon us; council is poised to vote on Wednesday for this absurd piece of legislation.

I wrote my councillor again expressing my complete opposition to this and I hope you will too.

Find your councillor: https://www.calgary.ca/citycouncil/f...ouncillor.html

Then go to their site, Contact [Name], and write to them expressing your opposition.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 03:15 PM   #189
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
After what they call a careful review, it will be recommended that, in the long run, the city moves to a limit of 40 km/h on collector roads and 30 km/h in residential zones.

This would begin with changing the unposted speed limit to 40 km/h, then looking at ways to revise standards so the speeds can be lowered further.

However, they think compliance will be low and feedback from the police says that, while they agree this could improve safety, they believe it will be hard to enforce the limits.
From the linked article above.

I like the idea of changing unposted speed limits to 40km/h. That is a pretty reasonable change. Beyond that it gets stupid.

I think the city administration stating compliance will be low is important to note.

What is considered a collector? Elbow drive? Heritage? Southland, 162nd?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:56 PM   #190
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

I like the idea of changing unposted speed limits to 40km/h. That is a pretty reasonable change. Beyond that it gets stupid.

I think the city administration stating compliance will be low is important to note.

I reject your premise.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 04:03 PM   #191
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I hate to say it but it is a fairly reasonable proposal because the alternative is teaching people how to ####ing drive and that ain't happening.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 04:09 PM   #192
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I hate to say it but it is a fairly reasonable proposal because the alternative is teaching people how to ####ing drive and that ain't happening.
lowering the speed limits to an unreasonable rate that will widen the gap between speeds on the road is going to exacerbate the issue.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 04:12 PM   #193
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Safety concerns are used as a smokescreen. They have nothing to do with this motion. It is a f...n' cash grab and nothing else. We do not have a single city street that was not designed to accommodate 60 km/hr.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 04:47 PM   #194
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Safety concerns are used as a smokescreen. They have nothing to do with this motion. It is a f...n' cash grab and nothing else. We do not have a single city street that was not designed to accommodate 60 km/hr.
Other than any street with parking along both sides in a residential area. At 60km/h I do not believe you have the stopping distance if a car is parked 5m from a crosswalk and a child is waiting to cross. The sitelines are not sufficient for 60km /hr in those situations.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 04:48 PM   #195
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
lowering the speed limits to an unreasonable rate that will widen the gap between speeds on the road is going to exacerbate the issue.
That’s only true on highways where differential speed is a factor in accidents and encourages passing.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:19 PM   #196
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Elbow Drive yes. The rest are arterial.

Quote:
Arterial Street

Arterial Streets provide a reasonably direct connection between multiple communities and major destinations and carry between 10,000 and 30,000 vehicles per day. They are typically spaced 800 to 1600 metres apart. Arterial Streets make up much of the Primary Transit Network. Green infrastructure strategies may include vegetated swales, rain gardens, filter strips, and native vegetation.

Bow Trail is an example of an Arterial Street.
Calgary.ca doesn't have a description of what a Collector Road is, but they are low-to-moderate-capacity roads which serves to move traffic from local streets to arterial roads. So these would be your main roads within the communities itself.

Fairmount Drive is another example of a Collector Road.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 09-26-2020, 06:32 PM   #197
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Those should be considered arteries (except perhaps Elbow, which serves as a collector/artery hybrid). They connect neighbourhoods but don't pass through neighbourhoods and, for the most part, don't have any homes directly accessible from the road.

A collector should be those roads that have direct controlled access to the main arteries and a residential street should be the ones that connect to the collectors. Some residential streets have direct access to an artery, but it is usually not light-controlled.

As general guideline, I would say:
  • A residential street is smaller, lower capacity, and doesn't have painted lines. Often too narrow for two vehicles to comfortably pass each other if vehicles are parked on both sides of the street. Only intersects other residential streets or collectors. In older "grid" neighbourhoods, may intersect with an artery at a 2-way stop. Typically, will intersect a collector at a 2-way stop or a roundabout.

• A collector is wider than a residential street, designed for a higher capacity, has painted lines and only one lane of travel in each direction. Street parking is usually allowed on a collector. Collectors usually have residences adjacent to them. Typically, will only have stop signs when they intersect another collector and lights when they intersect an artery.

• An artery is a much higher-capacity road that typically connects neighbourhoods but doesn't pass through neighbourhoods. Usually has at least 2 lanes of travel in each direction. Higher-speed arteries often have a physical barrier or median between the opposite lanes of travel. The only traffic controls on an artery are traffic lights when it intersects with a collector or another artery. Arteries usually are not directly accessible from residences and usually don't allow street parking (although, some may allow street parking adjacent to "main street" style street-front retailers which have limited on-site parking).

Of course, there are always going to be exceptions to those rules. In older neighbourhoods that have a grid layout, it's hard to differentiate between residential and collector roads because they all connect and can get you to where you're going. That's where I'd say the lines vs. no lines rule is an effective way to differentiate. Older roads like Elbow Drive, Centre Street North, and Edmonton Trail often act like collectors within a neighbourhood, but also serve as arteries between neighbourhoods. They also often have houses adjacent to the street and allow street parking at certain times of the day.

Newer neighbourhoods can have their own issues. For example, what is McKenzie Lake Blvd? It serves as a collector for the McKenzie Lake neighbourhood and doesn't connect between multiple neighbourhoods, but its design is closer to an artery.

Keep in mind, these are my own definitions of how I would expect the city to define these different roads, but ultimately they could do things differently. I would be surprised if they decided that roads like Centre Street North, Edmonton Trail, or Elbow Drive were set at 40 km/h --- but you never know.

It's also important to remember that these are only the unposted limits and the city could increase or lower the speed on any road they wanted just by posting a new sign.
GGG
Old 09-27-2020, 10:31 AM   #198
JR449
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

City broke / Cash grab time.
JR449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:34 AM   #199
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR449 View Post
City broke / Cash grab time.
Cops basically need to issue twice as many tickets to make budget after the province increased their take on them.

Just set up speed cameras in the construction area on Glenmore and Sarcee and it would be taken care of.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:41 AM   #200
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've said it before, if you want to reduce or eliminate pedestrian accidents then you need to breed better pedestrians.

A big issue I have here is that Pedestrians have every right-of-way so often they're not paying attention to their surroundings.

Having the right-of-way or 'being in the right' is small consolation after getting hit by a vehicle.

We have people getting hit by trains constantly FFS. They're on tracks and have gates and mechanical arms and flashing lights and loud bells and it still happens! No wonder pedestrians get hit by cars.

It seems counter-intuitive to place all of the onus of responsibility on vehicle traffic that is travelling at speeds greater than that of a pedestrian as opposed to teaching people not to be idiots in traffic.

Maybe we need to send some pedestrians abroad to other countries to learn how to safely co-exist with vehicular traffic.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: