Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-10-2019, 05:44 PM   #141
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you have to instill terror to be a terrorist.

Most I'd be afraid of is a contact high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:05 PM   #142
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for starting this thread. Many of the comments here echo how I am feeling and whoever called these protestors climate narcissists has hit the nail on the head.

The police here are really starting to crack down now with mass arrests and bail conditions usually reserved for biker gangs. The Queensland Labor government has even proposed increasing the penalties for these protestors. This is somewhat ironic because the last time protestors were being mass jailed here in the 80s it was a right wing government cracking down on labour union protests.

If anyone if looking for an example of how these protests do not work the recent Australian federal elections, specifically the Queensland results is a great example. During the election the state was flooded with anti-coal protestors who were trying to swing seats towards Labor and Green candidates. Instead this had the opposite effect with a big swing going to the right wing Liberal government who unapologetically supported the coal industry. The swing in Queensland ended up swinging the entire election and instead of ending up with a moderate government who had some reasonable plans to fight climate change we are now facing 3 years of doing nothing on climate change. Thanks protestors!
Old 10-11-2019, 08:53 AM   #143
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

Domestic Annoyances.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #144
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I would like to know how he got up there without sliding off. The sides have to be pretty slippery.
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #145
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll admit, I don't wish violence on anyone but watching the videos of these protesters getting pulled off the top of the LRTs in London and getting swallowed up by the crowd made me chuckle.

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...of-idle-subway
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 10:06 AM   #146
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why are those morons targeting public transit? Seems counter-productive.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #147
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I don't know what that guy was thinking by kicking a member of the crowd that he was surely going to end up amongst in mere minutes at best...
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:09 AM   #148
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I don't know what that guy was thinking by kicking a member of the crowd that he was surely going to end up amongst in mere minutes at best...
Climate change activists are world renowned for their exemplary reasoning skills and impeccable logic.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 10:25 AM   #149
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

Give it time. Won't be long before some splinter of these idiots decides that bombing trains will be more effective than standing on top of them.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #150
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I'll admit, I don't wish violence on anyone...
I admit I wish violence on these idiots.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:31 AM   #151
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Climate change activists as a whole are world renowned for their exemplary reasoning skills and impeccable logic.

Fixed.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:56 AM   #152
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Why are those morons targeting public transit? Seems counter-productive.
Did you see the Halifax video with protesters telling a cyclist to save up for a bus pass?

https://twitter.com/HEINTZMANEWS957/...64344983330816

Social far left are as loony as it gets, otherwise they wouldn't be socially left. It's never been about being productive or even about climate change but about being professional protesters and rising up against establishment.

Not too different from the Occupy movement that did absolutely nothing due to no cohesion in message and sat in tents while complaining they could not charge their iPhones. The ones that do this type of protesting truly have nothing better to do and simply join the flavour of the day. I know someone like this who preached anarchy and hated government, but ran out of Canada to avoid paying his tuition loans after taking Canada for 60K. He joins these protests in Europe now.

It's absolutely embarrassing to see this tripe going on while Hongkongers are being beaten with hammers while trying to preserve basic human rights.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:26 PM   #153
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Climate change activists are world renowned for their exemplary reasoning skills and impeccable logic.
It probably wouldn't be cheap but maybe the AB government and industry could team up to create a model village/town that demonstrates what life after oil, or life after "carbon neutral", would look like in 2025.
  • limited fresh produce
  • meat rationing
  • no more plastic
  • cosmetics
  • only natural fibre clothing?
  • no flying to winter destinations
  • record unemployment
  • destruction of tax base
  • etc

I believe that people, when confronted with the REAL lifestyle changes required to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025, might approach the whole issue a bit more rationally.

Last edited by longsuffering; 10-17-2019 at 06:29 PM.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:02 PM   #154
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
It probably wouldn't be cheap but maybe the AB government and industry could team up to create a model village/town that demonstrates what life after oil, or life after "carbon neutral", would look like in 2025.
  • limited fresh produce
  • meat rationing
  • no more plastic
  • cosmetics
  • only natural fibre clothing?
  • no flying to winter destinations
  • record unemployment
  • destruction of tax base
  • etc

I believe that people, when confronted with the REAL lifestyle changes required to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025, might approach the whole issue a bit more rationally.
Why would the AB government even bother addressing Extinction Rebellion demands? Nobody cares about them.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:05 PM   #155
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Why would the AB government even bother addressing Extinction Rebellion demands? Nobody cares about them.
Doesn't have to be the AB government but having more Canadians on 'our' side couldn't hurt.

As for Extinction Rebellion, I'm not sure no one cares about them. The hundreds of thousands of people protesting worldwide suggests otherwise.

I guess we can agree to disagree but I believe a 'real world' example of the type of dramatic changes to lifestyles that society would have to confront to achieve what some activists want in less than 10 years rather than 25 or 50 years would open some eyes.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:16 PM   #156
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Doesn't have to be the AB government but having more Canadians on 'our' side couldn't hurt.

As for Extinction Rebellion, I'm not sure no one cares about them. The hundreds of thousands of people protesting worldwide suggests otherwise.

I guess we can agree to disagree but I believe a 'real world' example of the type of dramatic changes to lifestyles that society would have to confront to achieve what some activists want in less than 10 years rather than 25 or 50 years would open some eyes.
But I’m quite sure the 2025 goal is roundly understood to be literally impossible, there are no experts, moderates, or even other sane climate activists giving weight to it.

I just we would be speaking to the choir. Nobody that matters is actually asking for 2025 as opposed to other more reasonable goals. To put ER‘a popularity into context, they have 300k twitter followers. Greta has 2.8M.

ER is a dumb side show, not a group you can expect to be more rational about things with good old fashioned facts.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:35 PM   #157
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Loved this

https://twitter.com/user/status/1185278788197896192

Edit: I’m not actually sure if this is ER though

Last edited by The Fonz; 10-18-2019 at 07:52 PM.
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:09 PM   #158
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What do they expect is going to happen?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #159
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think a ton of people care about them. Just not caring in a way that helps their cause. A protest is supposed to bring awareness to an issue and is generally supposed to be done in a way that gets the average citizen to be apologetic to their cause. Extinction rebellion on the other hand is doing the opposite. Most people barely understand what their protest is about and rather than getting the average citizen to be apologetic, they're turning average citizens against them by being a nuisance. Gluing themselves to things indiscriminately and disrupting commutes (including electric trains) is a hilarious glimpse into a poorly thought out protest.

The fact they are being this dumb and shooting themselves in both feet to the point of nearly no recovery is actually kinda amazing.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:36 PM   #160
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Loved this

https://twitter.com/user/status/1185278788197896192

Edit: I’m not actually sure if this is ER though
Hated this.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote