Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-04-2015, 12:31 PM   #1101
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Try http://www.albertatimeservices.ca/

He was very good fixing my watch, and has been doing it for 40 years. I asked him about another watch I have, and he said "if I can't fix it, it can't be fixed". Not sure the truth there, but he seamed to know what he was doing.
Thanks man. I saw him online a month ago. I did call and he said he could do it. Nice to have some back up.
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:32 PM   #1102
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post
Does anyone know a trusted watch repair person in Calgary that can fix a Panerai?
Take it to Brinkhaus and have them send it back to Panerai for repairs. They will quote you once it is there.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2015, 07:10 PM   #1103
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Take it to Brinkhaus and have them send it back to Panerai for repairs. They will quote you once it is there.
Lost my paper work in a move I made back in 2010. Will I have to pay duty on it coming back into Canada because I have no paper work?
Old 04-04-2015, 07:18 PM   #1104
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

I believe it goes to a Panerai or authorized Panerai repair shop intra-canada. So that shouldn't be a worry. The key thing is they need to have access to the parts, etc for repair.

They will also give you an option to have it re-polished, finished. Comes back looking new, but that was an extra $180 or so.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #1105
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless the watch is still under warranty, which in this case sounds like it's not, sending it through Brinkhaus or any other retailer for repairs will cost a small fortune. What's more, most of the time they will send it to a shop in Vancouver or Toronto. And, for certain kinds of repairs, they send watches to Switzerland, which will cost a big fortune. I've had my watch sent to Switzerland for "dewatering" and "desalinating" after having a swim with the watch on and its crowns unscrewed and paid in excess of $800.

It's always safer and wiser to have the watch evaluated by a good watchmaker locally before taking it to a retailer.

P.S. Also, one should never have a good Swiss watch re-polished. It cheapens the watch immensely.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #1106
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just received this:

I like it a lot. The only odd thing is that because it's so flat and light, it feels odd when I flick my wrist to reposition the watch. Sometimes I have to shake my hand a few times before its in the right spot. I'm sure I'll get used to it. Great watch to have on rotation.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:03 PM   #1107
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Unless the watch is still under warranty, which in this case sounds like it's not, sending it through Brinkhaus or any other retailer for repairs will cost a small fortune. What's more, most of the time they will send it to a shop in Vancouver or Toronto. And, for certain kinds of repairs, they send watches to Switzerland, which will cost a big fortune. I've had my watch sent to Switzerland for "dewatering" and "desalinating" after having a swim with the watch on and its crowns unscrewed and paid in excess of $800.

It's always safer and wiser to have the watch evaluated by a good watchmaker locally before taking it to a retailer.

P.S. Also, one should never have a good Swiss watch re-polished. It cheapens the watch immensely.
I didn't have this experience at all with Brinkhaus and the watch was not under warranty. The idea is the maker of the watch does the repair. I like this idea on higher end watches.

As far as my particular watch which was stainless, I enjoyed having the watch come back without scratches it had picked up in the bezel and side casement. Sometimes if the crystal is damaged they will replace. This doesn't effect value whatsoever. It makes the watch look new again, which is part of the beauty of these watches.

Anyways, I would highly recommend going to Brinkhaus to see what they have to say as they are expert in this matter and high end swiss watches.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:37 PM   #1108
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I believe it goes to a Panerai or authorized Panerai repair shop intra-canada. .
Really? I didn't know that. I have another Panerai that I bought in Vancouver at Palladio. Needed repairs done on it and they sent it to the States. Though that was 5 years ago so maybe things changed. I'll call brinks tomorrow and see what they say. I don't mind paying more for the repairs. I've invested quite a bit in these watches so I want it done right.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:23 PM   #1109
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...er-chronograph

Alan Bean's Gold Speedmaster is up for auction.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:30 PM   #1110
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just wanted to post this one I got a while ago while in Amsterdam. Stumbled across a small shop with Projects Watches, a company where architects design the watches. Got to choose from a few different straps and the owner basically built it in the back of the shop for me. It's kind of funky, and makes me dizzy sometimes, but it's unique and I like it. A lot of people ask me about it.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:55 PM   #1111
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Question.

How do you tell time on that thing???
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:56 PM   #1112
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Outside ring is hours, middle is minutes, inside is seconds. Where the numbers are, you get to use your imagination!

So that one is 10:10ish
Old 04-07-2015, 04:21 PM   #1113
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I believe it goes to a Panerai or authorized Panerai repair shop intra-canada. So that shouldn't be a worry. The key thing is they need to have access to the parts, etc for repair.

They will also give you an option to have it re-polished, finished. Comes back looking new, but that was an extra $180 or so.
Talk to Jim at brinkhaus and he told me to drop them off tomorrow and he'll send them to the Panerai factory in Toronto. Thanks for the lead CW.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:05 AM   #1114
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post
Talk to Jim at brinkhaus and he told me to drop them off tomorrow and he'll send them to the Panerai factory in Toronto. Thanks for the lead CW.
Shout out to Jim, he's always been great to us, excellent customer service!
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #1115
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jim is great! Super knowledgable and always approachable. Flames fan as well. Let's see some pics of your Panerai's when you get them back. The turn around time is really decent too, used to be upwards of a year for service in the US.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:47 PM   #1116
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the going rate on one of these? Used but great condition.

JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2015, 06:35 PM   #1117
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Check this out:

http://forums.timezone.com/search/?q=Pepsi&f=71&s=0

A couple stainless ones near the top of the page are ~$5400. There is a white gold version for 30 grand.

One of them is in Canada, posted on Monday, and he's looking for a Canadian deal. Speaking from experience, it's a hassle to buy something like this from a guy in the States. All sorts of duties and shipping and declaring a value, it's all a nightmare. At least it was for me.

That watch is not really something I could/would try to pull off, but it is really cool if you can do it.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:49 PM   #1118
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

So... I mistook a Rolex submariner for a Seiko 007... I am so embarrassed. Drunk or not, that's bad.

On a side note, I pulled the trigger on a Seiko 009K2 metal band on Amazon. Still also have my ear to the floor for maybe another purchase or two.

Last edited by DoubleF; 04-23-2015 at 04:53 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:49 AM   #1119
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Picked up this Raymond Weil Freelancer a little while back. Face looks a lot better in person (not so flat and matte)

Old 04-23-2015, 09:56 AM   #1120
Property Manager DB
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Admittedly not a huge watch/tech guy so I have a question;
Is the apple watch just a fancy ipod nano that has talking features and a bracelet?