Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2015, 12:55 AM   #981
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Odd side question...

What are your guy's opinion of watches that rip off other watches designs?

I have a watch that I purchased when I was a teen around 10 years ago. I was a kid, poor and paid about $80 on an automatic 21 jewel watch with a unknown brand called AM!. A few weeks ago after seeing longsuffering's pics, I realized this watch rips off a lot of the design of the Lime Green Rolex. So I dug it out of storage (Haven't worn in almost 5 years).

I can't even find anything online about this brand.

Should I be ashamed of this thing? Or pretend I don't realize it's a Rolex rip off?
Wear it casually? Or slide that bugger back into the drawer it resided?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:37 AM   #982
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Watches are meant to be enjoyed, regardless of value. It sounds like you have an affinity with this watch. Bring it out and wear it.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2015, 02:04 AM   #983
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Odd side question...

What are your guy's opinion of watches that rip off other watches designs?

I have a watch that I purchased when I was a teen around 10 years ago. I was a kid, poor and paid about $80 on an automatic 21 jewel watch with a unknown brand called AM!. A few weeks ago after seeing longsuffering's pics, I realized this watch rips off a lot of the design of the Lime Green Rolex. So I dug it out of storage (Haven't worn in almost 5 years).

I can't even find anything online about this brand.

Should I be ashamed of this thing? Or pretend I don't realize it's a Rolex rip off?
Wear it casually? Or slide that bugger back into the drawer it resided?

Wear your watch if you like it. Lots of watches (and lots of other things) are ripoffs of other "iconic" designs.

Just don't wear a fake one. That is shameful.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:42 AM   #984
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Orange Sumo Pics

Spoiler!

Edited - Not a Monster, but a Sumo.

Last edited by bomber317; 03-06-2015 at 01:20 PM.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bomber317 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2015, 09:03 AM   #985
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post
Spoiler!
Thanks for sharing. Are you sure thats the Orange monster though? That looks closer to what I have seen labelled as the SKX007.

In my limited research here is what I have found to be called the Orange Monster...

Gen 1:

Gen 2:

Last edited by greyshep; 03-06-2015 at 09:06 AM.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:23 AM   #986
Doodlebug
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Wear your watch if you like it. Lots of watches (and lots of other things) are ripoffs of other "iconic" designs.

Just don't wear a fake one. That is shameful.
Agreed, if you like it go ahead a wear it. Seen some Invicta's which are almost exact knockoffs of the Submariner. but would still respect someone wearing the Invicta over a guy posing his fake as an actual Submariner.
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:45 AM   #987
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Thanks for sharing. Are you sure thats the Orange monster though? That looks closer to what I have seen labelled as the SKX007.

In my limited research here is what I have found to be called the Orange Monster...
I was always under the impression that the Orange Monster was Seiko's Diving watch with an Orange face. but hey, I could totally be wrong.

In regards to the watch that I have, I have been very happy with it. The only complaint would be that the crystal isn't Sapphire but that would bump up the cost significantly. I have a few minor scuffs on my watch from hitting a bunch of things by accident.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:03 AM   #988
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I was always under the impression that the Orange Monster was Seiko's Diving watch with an Orange face. but hey, I could totally be wrong.

In regards to the watch that I have, I have been very happy with it. The only complaint would be that the crystal isn't Sapphire but that would bump up the cost significantly. I have a few minor scuffs on my watch from hitting a bunch of things by accident.
I am pretty new to this so I would defer to the more experienced on this board regarding the actual definition of an Orange monster. If you Google it, you will likely find the watches I posted images of though.

I love the look of yours too. I am happy to hear so many positive comments about the quality of Seiko watches in general. I was worried that they might be a bit junky due to the more affordable nature. Glad that is not the case.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #989
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:

It's a Seiko Sumo, which is a VERY nice watch. I have a Orange one on rubber, and a black on steel. They are a couple steps up from an orange monster. They are also a Japanese market watch. They are going to run around $5-600.

pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2015, 10:37 AM   #990
SinceDay1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

@bomber317, pretty sure what you have there is an orange dialed Sumo (SBDC005). It's a step up from a Monster. Nice watch.
SinceDay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SinceDay1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2015, 10:42 AM   #991
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
I am pretty new to this so I would defer to the more experienced on this board regarding the actual definition of an Orange monster. If you Google it, you will likely find the watches I posted images of though.

I love the look of yours too. I am happy to hear so many positive comments about the quality of Seiko watches in general. I was worried that they might be a bit junky due to the more affordable nature. Glad that is not the case.
The origninal Orange Monster was SKX series. Day/Date/Non-hacking auto. They were available in a range of colours, the iconic one is this one, and orange was the most popular colour, hence it's name. I prefer them on rubber myself, but the steel band was wicked quality for a watch you could buy for $250 +/-:

The urpgraded monster that came out about a year ago is the SRP series. It got a hacking 23 jewel movement, and a few visiual upgrades, mainly the shark style markers on the face. I picked a couple of these up on Amazon with rubber bands for $130 before the dollar went to crap:

The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2015, 11:04 AM   #992
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you guys have any favourite military style watches?

Also loving the look of the SKX007, might have to pull the trigger on that one.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #993
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Do you guys have any favourite military style watches?

Also loving the look of the SKX007, might have to pull the trigger on that one.
Oooooh, good choice. I have mine on a President bracelet. Strapcode sells a that bracelet designed specifically for the watch for 80 bucks. It looks identical to this with it. Man my Seiko fanboism is really starting to show...lol. At current count I have 42:

Old 03-06-2015, 12:10 PM   #994
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well I am officially in the game now. lol

Came across this beauty at Costco. It was apparently the last one in the city.

Its apparently called the Seiko baby snow/ice monster but the model is actually SRP481. Not sure why they call it baby since its actually a bit bigger than the actual "monster" line. Thanks to all the good info on here I figured it was a steal at $150.

I am loving it already, feels really nice on. I still plan on getting an orange monster as well but I couldnt leave this one behind once I saw it.

pics...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

and requisite hairy arm shot...

[IMG][/IMG]
The Following User Says Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2015, 12:27 PM   #995
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Spoiler!
Not a Monster. A fine watch, but not a Monster.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #996
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well I am officially in the game now. lol

Came across this beauty at Costco. It was apparently the last one in the city.

Its apparently called the Seiko baby snow/ice monster but the model is actually SRP481. Not sure why they call it baby since its actually a bit bigger than the actual "monster" line. Thanks to all the good info on here I figured it was a steal at $150.

I am loving it already, feels really nice on. I still plan on getting an orange monster as well but I couldnt leave this one behind once I saw it.

pics...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

and requisite hairy arm shot...

[IMG][/IMG]
Congratulations. Nice find!

The reason it's referred to as a Baby Monster is that it's from the Seiko 5 series - and has half the water resistance of the 'regular' Monster. It's more of a desk diver. I own a couple Seiko 5's myself. Fantastic value for money.

Last edited by longsuffering; 03-06-2015 at 12:32 PM.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2015, 12:44 PM   #997
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
Congratulations. Nice find!

The reason it's referred to as a Baby Monster is that it's from the Seiko 5 series - and has half the water resistance of the 'regular' Monster. It's more of a desk diver. I own a couple Seiko 5's myself. Fantastic value for money.
Ahh ok I guess that makes sense, thanks.

Was pleased to discover it also has the same movement as the regular monster line. Hacking and handwinding. (terms I hadnt really heard of until a few days ago, lol)
Old 03-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #998
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Ahh ok I guess that makes sense, thanks.

Was pleased to discover it also has the same movement as the regular monster line. Hacking and handwinding. (terms I hadnt really heard of until a few days ago, lol)
4R36 Movement is great. I have it in a few watches, and it is always no more than +/- 15 secs a day.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:09 PM   #999
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is that good? Not a watch guy at all, but I would expect if I paid a couple hundred bucks I wouldn't have to change the time every 4 days.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:31 PM   #1000
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Is that good? Not a watch guy at all, but I would expect if I paid a couple hundred bucks I wouldn't have to change the time every 4 days.
Top of the line Auto's usually run 5-7 secs a day out. Cheapie auto's anything under 15 secs is considered good.

You don't buy auto's for spot on accuracy, that is what Casio's are for. It's stupid I know, but the idea of this little complex semi-perpetual little machine operating on your wrist is the appeal. If you know what you are doing they can be regulated, and I have done a few, but without the right equipment it can take weeks of trial and error to get them in the 2-3 sec range.

The stupid thing, is my benchmark watch is a $39 Casio atomic watch, I bought specifically for regulating/testing the accuracy of my Auto's.