Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2017, 02:48 PM   #1
FlameyMcFlameFace
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default If Wayne Gretzky played today, is he better than Sid? Is 99 the GOAT?

Now before I get flamed, I have an interesting argument. My friends and I were having a nice Sunday night pint and pondered the possibility that if Gretzky played today would he be as dominant as say a Sidney Crosby. My buddies and I are all around 22-23, so we didn't really get a chance to watch Gretzky play. All we have is those old video highlights we can search.

Stats wise, Gretzky is king. In fact, untouchable... for the rest of time... But he played in a "weaker" NHL. Now before some 30+ year olds tear me apart saying "you millennials know nothing" hear me out. By weaker I mean, the players were simply not as fast, skilled, or big. The goaltending was not as good. I like to refer to those days as the NHL still in its growing days, its a young professional sport. Only now are we starting to see the level of play in the NHL hit what I would call top levels. I know thats bold to say that our time period is close to top levels but lets take an example. 50 years before this date the year was 1967. Now the level of hockey in the NHL was much different than it is today. Lets go 50 years in the future, that brings us to 2067. In that year we might see some smaller changes in the game but nevertheless I think the standard of play will be much closer between 2017-2067 than 1967-2017. Im basing that estimate off my argument to say the NHL is now reaching top levels. We are blessed in live in a time period to see optimal professional sporting levels from the players.

I do not want to take anything away from Gretzky. Nor do I from the likes of Sid. This argument can be brought forth not just of Gretzky but of Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr, etc. These guys are legends. Pioneers of the growing game. Take note of me saying growing game. It's like there is an invisible law which states to never say anyone is better than Gretzky, Howe, Orr. And if you say that you're automatically a dumb millennial that knows nothing about hockey. To me, being a legend/pioneer of the game is not the same as the GOAT. I strongly believe Sidney Crosby is best skilled/overall player of all time. But it feels like its almost absurd to say he's better than those three because of that unwritten rule.

Quite the beer conversation eh! We then started this argument with literally every other sport. It seems like older generation players tend to be valued higher than our best players in this generation. But arguments and facts can say that our generation of sport is amongst the highest humans have seen.

Weird.
FlameyMcFlameFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:53 PM   #2
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

MOD EDIT: Not a good contribution to the discussion.

Last edited by KootenayFlamesFan; 12-11-2017 at 09:33 PM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:55 PM   #3
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

May be the question should be: If Gretzky played today, is he better than McDavid?
Old 12-11-2017, 02:56 PM   #4
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just can't get excited talking about Gretzky...
Old 12-11-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
I just can't get excited talking about Gretzky...
Not even Paulina? They make a pill for that.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rain_e For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 02:57 PM   #6
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

IF Gretzky played today, would he score more OT winners then Monahan?
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:58 PM   #7
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Forget the stats, the era, the goaltending....all of it.

Fact is, no one will ever convince me that he isn't the single smartest/skilled combination of a player the game has ever seen...period. I was around and was an adamant hockey/Flames fan for his entire career starting in 79 when he was traded to the Oilers. I was a hard core and avowed hater of all things Edmonton at that time, and even with all that it isnt even begrudgingly that I admit no one has been better....and i dont think its even close.

Mario was the next best because of his combination of size/strength and talent along with Howe because of his toughness/skill/strength combo.

Crosby is a distant 4th to me at best. Orr would actually slot in ahead of Sid as well but because he is a D (and his premature exit from the game) I leave the debate among forwards.

To steal from the Hitman himself...the best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be.

Ugh.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:58 PM   #8
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Gretz played today and had todays training and conditioning he would be a beast. Agree with above poster, if Mario hadn't had so many injuries he'd be up there too. Marios size and speed and skill was unreal.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 03:00 PM   #9
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Gaudreau can shine in this league now. I'm pretty sure Gretzky would be just fine.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #10
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh. 1996 NHL season. Lemieux puts up a 189 point pace. This is against Brodeur, Roy and Hasek. They are no match for Brian Elliot, but they were okay goalies.

This was after his back surgery and that little cancer thing.

Say what you want about Gretzky vs Lemieux...they were close, so if out of prime Lemieux could do it so could in his prime Gretzky (Gretzky also played in the clutch and grab era and did fine for his age). And Lemieux was dominate against players who played with and against Crosby so we do have a baseline to compare. Like Sakic for example....or Jagr.

Crosby is closer to Sakic than Lemieux.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #11
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gretzky would be fun to watch especially in 3-on-3 OT. Of course, if Marc Crawford was behind the bench, he wouldn't use him in the shootout.

/Yup, still bitter.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #12
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering how often the Refs give penalties if someone whines enough I think Gretzky would do just fine.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 03:05 PM   #13
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Gretzky played today, on this Oilers rebuild version, would he get the C over McDavid?
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:07 PM   #14
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

When a 35 year old Mario Lemieux came back from being retired for 4 years and put up 76 points in 43 games in 2000 it should have killed the players from the past wouldn't be able to play in today's game argument.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 03:07 PM   #15
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

the interesting thing is I have actually seen some current day Oilers fans argue that McDavid is the more impressive OFFENSIVE player when adjusted for offense/era even over their 'own' number 99

I'm hoping those are younger fans because as much as I despised Wayne and I can concur that goaltending and everything has improved I just can't see that one

in Gretzky's 3rd season he was 92-120-212 for crying out loud
looooob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 03:09 PM   #16
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think, all things being equal, Gretzky coming up in the new millennium would be just as dominant compared to his peers as he was in the 80s. He just thought, saw, and processed the game on a completely different level than anyone else on the ice. And I think that ability would still put him above today's players assuming he benefited from the same training and conditioning as today's players do.

The stats might not be quite as prolific simply because the gap between the best players and "mere" world class NHL players has narrowed. But I think Gretzky would still be a standout in the modern age.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 03:12 PM   #17
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
IF Gretzky played today, would he score more OT winners then Monahan?
I would imagine a trio of Gretzky/Kurri/Coffey would do some damage 3 on 3...no doubt.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:12 PM   #18
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its a weird question to debate

I don't think that Gretzky was physicallly gifted.

He wasn't the best straight forwards skater but he had those funny hips that could let him turn on the time.

His slap shot wouldn't have broken a piece of glass in front of him, nor would his wrist shot, but he was accurate.

He couldn't win a board battle to save his life, but he had a really quick stick.

He had a lot of benefits back then in terms of the late 70's and early 80's being a pretty talentless league without Russian players or as many euro's to fill the league.

the coaching for the most part wasn't great, we had players running 2 minute shifts and they didn't really have a system, that is until the mid to late 80's when we got into the trap era.

Most teams after their top pairing defensemen and top line were filled with beer league quality players, and it was the age of goons who couldn't turn.

but he had a peerless vision of the ice and a idiot savants ability to understand where the open spots on the ice were and where the puck and players were going. His vision was like one of us playing a hockey video game where your viewing the whole ice surface from the press box.

I believe he would be a 100 to 110 point player in this era, the coaches are too good and the players can all for the most part skate, and they play a system and play it well.

Realistically there are no open spaces for the type of hockey that Gretzky needed to score 200 points + a year.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:12 PM   #19
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Better players is actually an argument for Gretzky. Imagine if he had two good wingers on his line that could see the game closer than those absolute ####-good-for-nothing 80s players. Put him with Gaudreau and they are both scoring 70. And finally Gaudreau would have a first line center.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:13 PM   #20
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I think, all things being equal, Gretzky coming up in the new millennium would be just as dominant compared to his peers as he was in the 80s. He just thought, saw, and processed the game on a completely different level than anyone else on the ice. And I think that ability would still put him above today's players assuming he benefited from the same training and conditioning as today's players do.

The stats might not be quite as prolific simply because the gap between the best players and "mere" world class NHL players has narrowed. But I think Gretzky would still be a standout in the modern age.
In the 80s. Currently players are taught and coached to see the game at least as well if not better.

Seriously, go and watch some of those games. They are grim.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote