Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 01:25 PM   #4721
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
They mentioned on Saturday as a bunch of vets that help bind the team left. Turris, Methot, MacArthur etc.Locker rooms are a funny thing.
Yeah, it's funny as fans we tend to scoff at this idea and figure the best young, cheap players with the highest production is the key to building a contender.

Pretty much every player who speaks to NHL team success points directly to a group of veterans on their team (often veterans that we call overpaid, over the hill, who need to be dumped at the earliest convenience for sweet, sweet cap relief) as the biggest asset to their team chemistry and success.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2017, 01:35 PM   #4722
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

A player I've always liked is Patric Hornqvist, he doesn't mind going to the dirty areas and has recorded 20+ goal seasons for the last 4 years (currently sits at 11 this season). He's a right winger who would be a nice fit on the Flames. He's on an expiring contract (4.25 million cap hit) and does have a modified NTC. Likely not available, but just an example of the type of player that I hope BT might be looking for.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2017, 01:40 PM   #4723
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

I gotta think Atkinson is close to being available. Not saying he's a fit, but a rumour popping up about him wouldn't surprise me.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #4724
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
I gotta think Atkinson is close to being available. Not saying he's a fit, but a rumour popping up about him wouldn't surprise me.
He just signed a long term deal in Columbus
Old 12-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #4725
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeFoam View Post
He just signed a long term deal in Columbus
Right I forgot about that contract. But that has to look terrifying to Columbus so far this season.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:48 PM   #4726
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Atkinson was also just a healthy scratch.
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2017, 02:13 PM   #4727
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, it's funny as fans we tend to scoff at this idea and figure the best young, cheap players with the highest production is the key to building a contender.

Pretty much every player who speaks to NHL team success points directly to a group of veterans on their team (often veterans that we call overpaid, over the hill, who need to be dumped at the earliest convenience for sweet, sweet cap relief) as the biggest asset to their team chemistry and success.
I believe any good will that was left over from the 2004 cup run was gone when Sutter traded Ference and Kobasew to Boston. The team was never the same after as Ference's leadership especially was undervalued.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2017, 02:15 PM   #4728
Knut

Exp:

Tortorella is reaching the end of his shelf life. Foligno, Wennberg, Atkinson are all under-performing.

A new coach will be coming in during the off-season i think.
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2017, 02:49 PM   #4729
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
A player I've always liked is Patric Hornqvist, he doesn't mind going to the dirty areas and has recorded 20+ goal seasons for the last 4 years (currently sits at 11 this season). He's a right winger who would be a nice fit on the Flames. He's on an expiring contract (4.25 million cap hit) and does have a modified NTC. Likely not available, but just an example of the type of player that I hope BT might be looking for.
Do you mean as a rental? He’ll be 31 in January.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:54 PM   #4730
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
Do you mean as a rental? He’ll be 31 in January.
Yeah, as a rental - As I said earlier, I think the Pens (Rutherford) like him and he would have to waive his NTC, so it's not likely in any case, but the acquisition cost shouldn't be high from a picks or prospects standpoint.
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #4731
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I believe any good will that was left over from the 2004 cup run was gone when Sutter traded Ference and Kobasew to Boston. The team was never the same after as Ference's leadership especially was undervalued.
Yep, there was a lot of mocking of anyone that suggested that when it happened. "That's not a thing, if you can upgrade the team you upgrade the team".

That was a real turning point for me with my "sutter is god" belief as a coach and GM. Many posters put it back on Ference basically saying "well, he shouldn't have given a discount/should have negotiated better".

For sure they were right, but for Sutter to take a hometown-ish heart and sole lockerroom player who just openly took a discount because he wanted the best team possible and say "Thanks for the loyalty Andrew, now I'm going to use that for a great return on you!" peeved me a lot.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:24 PM   #4732
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Ference trade wasn’t great, but I believe the trade for Jokinen in ‘09 was worse, other than his first two games. I think it really hurt the team chemistry. I think even Nieuwendyk said the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Rotten For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2017, 09:17 PM   #4733
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

HNIC:

Kypreos: Oilers and Senators have had discussions about Hoffman. Oilers likely only want to send draft picks and prospects back and not upset the roster.
Sens will consider something very drastic if they don't make the playoffs. A real big shake up.
Friedman: The shake up won't involve Mark Stone. Don't get the sense he is available.
If Pageau is available there would be a lot of interest.
Sens likely looking to make deals for picks and prospects or young players currently in the NHL.
If Stone reaches some big numbers he could command $7 million / year

Canadian outdoor game next year is highly unlikely.
Next Canadian outdoor game likely to involve the Oilers as the marquee match up.

Jets have made it known that Shawn Matthias is available.

Last edited by sureLoss; 12-16-2017 at 09:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #4734
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
HNIC:

Kypreos: Oilers and Senators have had discussions about Hoffman. Oilers likely only want to send draft picks and prospects back and not upset the roster.
Sens will consider something very drastic if they don't make the playoffs. A real big shake up.
Friedman: The shake up won't involve Mark Stone. Don't get the sense he is available.
If Pageau is available there would be a lot of interest.
Sens likely looking to make deals for picks and prospects or young players currently in the NHL.
If Stone reaches some big numbers he could command $7 million / year

Canadian outdoor game is highly unlikely.
Next Canadian outdoor game likely to involve the Oilers as the marquee match up.

Jets have made it known that Shawn Matthias is available.
Not sure what you're saying with the bolded.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2017, 09:22 PM   #4735
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

sorry meant to say Canadian outdoor game next year is highly unlikely
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2017, 10:37 PM   #4736
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Love this.

I’d prob be ok with a roster shake up.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #4737
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
5x5 is the most I'd give Backs. No more than 5 years and no more than 5 mil per. If he wants to stay and he wants to win he'd sign that.

It may well not be a question if whether he wants to stay or not.

It’s hard to begrudge players wanting to be paid FMV, which for Backs right now is what he’s worth a UFA, as he’s on the verge of being a UFA.

That’s more than 5 years at $5M per season.

And if he truly “wants to win”, he might decide to move on. It’s not like Calgary has a long history of playoff success.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #4738
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Turris just signed a 6x6. Hes a 25G 60pt center.

Backlund is a 20g 50pt center. 5x5 may be close to fair market value, a bit under but close. You don't need to hand out crazy oiler contracts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #4739
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I couldn't agree more. That trade had massive negative repurcussions. The team had to drive away on a bus while Ference stood there on the curb waiting for his ride. I think that moment gutted the team and they were not the same afterwards.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #4740
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Turris just signed a 6x6. Hes a 25G 60pt center.

Backlund is a 20g 50pt center. 5x5 may be close to fair market value, a bit under but close.
Except that Backlund has better possession stats accrued while taking significantly more defensive zone draws. In a comparison with Turris I'd say that Backlund more then makes up that 10 point production deficit with surplus defensive value.
Closed Thread