Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2017, 02:52 PM   #21
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I think I would definitely consider a 1 for 1 trade. 2 underwhelming skaters who could use a fresh start to their careers. Beleskey has great net front presence and has a decent clapper and scores on some nice deflections. When's the last time someone scored a tip in goal? I can't remember any outside of maybe Tkachuk? I'd do this trade asap if he was a slight upgrade over Brouwer on the PP.
Not this year he doesn't. Or last year, aside from the measly three goals he got then.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:14 PM   #22
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Not this year he doesn't. Or last year, aside from the measly three goals he got then.
In the past, he's shown the ability to do so. Hand eye coordination doesn't just go away, so I suspect if he was put in a position to succeed, I'm certain he could pot some in. It's an element this team is missing and Brouwer has not been able to accomplish even though he's had ample time to do so.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:20 PM   #23
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In the past, he's shown the ability to do so. Hand eye coordination doesn't just go away, so I suspect if he was put in a position to succeed, I'm certain he could pot some in. It's an element this team is missing and Brouwer has not been able to accomplish even though he's had ample time to do so.
But Belesky has been just as bad or worse than Brouwer over the exact same time frame. You could say exactly the same thing about Brouwer's skills not just going away.

In addition, he'd be a fourth line guy here. So I doubt he'd be in a much better position to succeed. IMO Brouwer hasn't looked horrible on the fourth line, but he and his linemates can't finish, plus poor Stajan is having the worst year of his life.

Really, it's a $700K difference IMO.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:26 PM   #24
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Would you be more or less happy watching Matt Belesky get Troy Brouwer's #1PP minutes?
Old 12-14-2017, 03:35 PM   #25
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
But Belesky has been just as bad or worse than Brouwer over the exact same time frame. You could say exactly the same thing about Brouwer's skills not just going away.

In addition, he'd be a fourth line guy here. So I doubt he'd be in a much better position to succeed. IMO Brouwer hasn't looked horrible on the fourth line, but he and his linemates can't finish, plus poor Stajan is having the worst year of his life.

Really, it's a $700K difference IMO.
Well, what you're really doing is banking on the hope that both players rejuvenate their games with the change of scenery. That would be the ideal scenario because the Bruins were really happy with Beleskey in his first season with them. If he can at the very least, partially rediscover his form, then it's a good trade.

At worst like I said, he plays 9 minutes a game on the 4th line or is a cheaper buyout then Brouwer. The overall body of work from the 4th line has been ridiculously underwhelming and they're constantly under water all game long, personally I think it's worth while gamble.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:36 PM   #26
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Grass is greener. It'd be trading a Troy Brouwer for a Troy Brouwer.

EDIT: Just saw your last post, fair enough.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:37 PM   #27
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Anaheim has a talent for making mediocre forwards look better than they really are, and then letting other teams overpay for them. This list is quite long now:

Dustin Penner
Bobby Ryan
Daniel Winnik
Nick Bonino
Matt Beleskey
Kyle Palmieri (although he's been arguably better since leaving Anaheim)
Patrick Maroon

Coming soon to this list: Derek Grant, who is currently their 5th leading scorer with 13 points. Yes, the same Derek Grant who couldn't score a goal in his first 86 games spread over 6 seasons; he's scored 6 goals on the year.

Point is, be very wary of any forward that Anaheim is willing to give up through free agency or a trade. You are likely getting the short end of the stick.
you're right, but not sure how you can have Maroon on there. that wasn't an overpay.
Oilers got a pretty good deal for him. 2 years of maroon at only 2mil per with ducks paying 25% of that.
oilers gave only Martin Gernat and a 4th round pick.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #28
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Would you be more or less happy watching Matt Belesky get Troy Brouwer's #1PP minutes?
More happy, too many times I've found myself screaming at the television because of the poor decisions Brouwer has made or plays that have died on his stick. I'll take the lesser cap hit and a guy who has shown has some really nice net front presence. His ability to tip pucks is something I think this team lacks and could use at this moment.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #29
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Change of scenery is a fair point for Brouwer v. Belesky. That said, it's a bunch of work for not very big of a deal, for guys that will likely be bought out ASAP.

Belesky has a modified NTC, apparently he has a list of 23 teams he can go to.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:58 PM   #30
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by H2SO4(aq); 12-14-2017 at 04:00 PM.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:43 PM   #31
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In the past, he's shown the ability to do so. Hand eye coordination doesn't just go away,
No, but reflexes do slow down. Maybe Beleskey's hands just aren't quite quick enough to make those deflections anymore.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:52 PM   #32
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Boston would be so set moving forward if they hadn’t signed Beleskey and Backes on July 1sts.

The Hamilton trade seemed idiotic at the time but they really did managed to soften the blow by drafting well. McAvoy and Carlo both look like legit top 4 players.

If they hadn’t passed on Barzal three times they would be loaded with young talent.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2017, 05:55 PM   #33
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember A TON of people here were saying buyer beware and whoever signs this guy is going to regret it in relatively short order.

He should pass through waivers and head to the AHL as he's not good enough anymore for the NHL.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:59 PM   #34
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That doesn't always matter.

Some players have very short shelf lives of how long they are good enough to be NHL caliber players. Beleskey doesn't look like he has it to be an NHLer anymore, not because of age in this case, but because he's just not good enough anymore.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:12 PM   #35
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
That doesn't always matter.

Some players have very short shelf lives of how long they are good enough to be NHL caliber players. Beleskey doesn't look like he has it to be an NHLer anymore, not because of age in this case, but because he's just not good enough anymore.
The exact same things can be said of Troy Brower, he’s a multiple time 20 goal scorer who took 27 games to get his first this season. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see both players being bought out this summer. But if that’s going to be the case, I think I’d take my chances on the cheaper player and hope that a career resurrection occurs for both guys. Anyone who remembers that Ducks series 2.5 years ago remembers that guy being quite a handful. I think he scored in all 5 games against us if I’m not mistaken.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:15 PM   #36
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The exact same things can be said of Troy Brower, he’s a multiple time 20 goal scorer who took 27 games to get his first this season. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see both players being bought out this summer. But if that’s going to be the case, I think I’d take my chances on the cheaper player and hope that a career resurrection occurs for both guys. Anyone who remembers that Ducks series 2.5 years ago remembers that guy being quite a handful. I think he scored in all 5 games against us if I’m not mistaken.
Brouwer used to score against Calgary all the time too IIRC. The buyout value on these guys is almost exactly the same.

Belesky has zero goals. In less games because he's been scratched a bunch.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:15 PM   #37
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wrong thread
Old 12-15-2017, 03:00 PM   #38
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Joe McDonald‏
@JoeyMacHockey
Follow Follow @JoeyMacHockey
More

Beleskey cleared waivers and will report to Providence.