Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #61
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Can Treliving pull this move Brodie for Eberle and one of the 1st picks either Flames or Islanders.
No? Eberle is playing great with Barzal. A key reason (and playing behind Tavares' tough matchups) that the rookie has had such a tremendous season. The Islanders are very satisfied with Eberle. Not sure why you think they would be adding to get a struggling Brodie.

Of course if Tavares doesn't sign they might as well tear down the team and rebuild around Barzal and the 1st overalls for the next 5 years but if they are trading for defense, Bailey, Lee, Nelson, all make more sense than breaking up the one good combo they have going for them.

Also Eberle isn't on the first PP unit because they would rather keep Tavares' chemistry with his linemates together and then have Barzal as the finisher on the point. Because of this Eberle's PP production is really taking a hit, but even strength with Barzal he's producing as a first line winger. (More even strength points than Crosby in fact).

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 03-20-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #62
Pipty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Trade Monohan Brodie Fox for Karlsson Hoffman and a second. Make sure you can sign Tavares before doing the former. Buyout Brouwer and make sure you don't sign Stajan again for some stupid reason. Rid of entire coach staff. Trade Frolik for any sort of pick.
Pipty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #63
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtown View Post
I’m prolly gonna get ripped for this but I don’t get how people think a culture change will come from dumping Brouwer and Stajan? If those 2 are the bloodline of this team then the problems are deeper than we think.

I think you have to look at moving out Monahan. Obviously not selling low and only if you get a comparable return but there’s a couple things about his game that bug me.

Everyone talks about these “hate to lose” guys. He is not one of these guys he is as emotionless as I’ve ever seen in a player. How come he’s NEVER stood up for a teammate? I actually had to look it up. He’s had ONE fight 6 years ago in the O. Never in the big leagues. I’m not saying he has to fight every second game or take on Reaves the other day but to not stick up for Johnny, his supposed BFF on the team, even once? Even just once. You can’t tell me that Monahan couldn’t have stood up to Staal last year?
He’s well below average defensively, I know, I know, 30+ goal scorers don’t come around every day but is he truly a great goal scorer? Or is he a by product of Johnny? He’s not a “sniper” by no means (see:Iggy/OV/Laine). I would gladly take a 1C who pots 25 but is much stronger in his own end.
Don’t get me wrong I like the kid, I’m not a “Monahan-hater” by no means but he seems to escape a lot of criticism for a very one dimensional player. I think if you’re looking at a tough decision to change to core it might have to be him.
He literally did last night when Johnny got slashed by the bench. That led to a scrum that ended up in matching penalties for Bennett and one of their guys.

One thing I do wonder, and maybe I just dont watch other teams enough, but I think the Flames need to develop Monahan as a PK'er. Johnny won't be able to, but between Monahan and Hamilton, I think they could use the extra minutes. You watch some teams and it seems like their highest paid players play in all situations, where as 3 of our top 4 highest paid guys (Monahan, Gaudreau and Hamilton) do not see any PK time which limits some ice time. While I do not expect SH goals, it is still extra ice for our best players. Obviously not advocating moving any of those 3 though, and I do not want my post to be taken that way
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #64
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipty View Post
Trade Monohan Brodie Fox for Karlsson Hoffman and a second. Make sure you can sign Tavares before doing the former. Buyout Brouwer and make sure you don't sign Stajan again for some stupid reason. Rid of entire coach staff. Trade Frolik for any sort of pick.
Yeah..... So whats Plan B?
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:38 AM   #65
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't want to believe it and i even voted not to fire him but GG is our Dallas Eakins. barf!
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:38 AM   #66
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
See what Cervenka's up to.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:38 AM   #67
Pipty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Plan B is probably Plan A as in this wont ever happen. Which is stay the course and fire GG, buyout Brouwer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Pipty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #68
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

CENTRES
11 Mikael Backlund - keep
46 Marek Hrivik - let walk
77 Mark Jankowski - re-sign
23 Sean Monahan - keep; untouchable
25 Nick Shore - re-sign
18 Matt Stajan - let walk

LEFT WINGS
93 Sam Bennett - Trade
79 Micheal Ferland - keep
13 Johnny Gaudreau - keep; untouchable
15 Tanner Glass - let walk
19 Matthew Tkachuk - keep; untouchable

RIGHT WINGS
36 Troy Brouwer - buyout
67 Michael Frolik - Keep
21 Garnet Hathaway - indifferent
20 Curtis Lazar - Let walk
8 Chris Stewart - let walk
10 Kris Versteeg - let walk

DEFENSE
44 Matt Bartkowski - let walk
7 T.J. Brodie - trade
5 Mark Giordano - keep
27 Dougie Hamilton - keep; untouchable
24 Travis Hamonic - keep
61 Brett Kulak - keep
26 Michael Stone - trade

GOALIES
33 David Rittich - keep
41 Mike Smith - keep

Head Coach: Glen Gulutzan - fire
Ass. Coach: Dave Cameron - fire
Ass. Coach: Paul Jerrard - fire
Ass. Coach: Martin Gelinas - indifferent
Goal Coach: Jordan Sigalet - indifferent
GM: Brad Treliving - keep
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #69
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipty View Post
Christ that's awful.

You know that Karlsson is heading into the last year of his contract, and is going to be looking for a 8 figure deal, (10 to 11 million) Tavares is also going to get an 8 figure deal so lets say 10 million bucks

Guadreau $6750 Tavares 10000 Hoffman 5.75
Ferland 1650 Backlund 5350 MT 925
Lazar 950 Bennett 1950 ????????
???????? ????????? ????????

Karlsson 6500 Gio 6750
Hamilton 5750 Hamonic 3857
Stone 3500 Anderson 755

Smith 4250

64,687 and if the cap goes to 80 that leaves about 15 million right with 4 roster spots to fill less a million bucks for the two buyouts. So now you but out Brouwer, His hit is 1.5 a season for the next 4

So now your down to about 12.5 to fill the 4 spots. We're good right.

So the next year, you resign Karlsson for 12 million bucks so now you're about -6 million bucks due to that raise.

MT is up for a deal, he's probably going to get about 7 if he progresses that's another -6 million of so that you have. Sam Bennett is up as well, if he has the bounce back we want, you can probably at least double his salary to 4 million from just shy of two.

Mike Smith is gone, and if Parssons or Gilles aren't ready, what do we spend on a starter.

And if we lose Karlsson, we've just traded a number one center a very good prospect and a defenseman for a 29 year old winger and a meh pick.

Besides, I doubt that trade would work anyways, Karlsson has his no trade listand I bet Calgary is on it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:04 AM   #70
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do not sell bennett. Let him operate under another coach. Currently, i see a kid more worried about his role in system and avoiding mistakes vs reading/reacting. He needs to be allowed to make some mistakes and roam. I would put him with Backlund.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 11:04 AM   #71
Rtown
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Let's trade Monahan to find out if he's a product of Gaudreau? Well, what if he isn't? What if the hockey player who was scoring 20+ goals with Galiardi as a teen before Gaudreau even played in the NHL is actually a good scorer? And we just traded an actual good player and not a product.

Given Johhny's skillset, you probably do want a center who's a finisher. A complete list of centers with more goals than Monahan in the last 3 years:

Crosby
Malkin
Seguin
Tavares

I mean, he's in literally elite company right now.

In 2001, you would have been in favour of trading the no-passion, product-of-an-all-star-winger Savard for pretty much the exact same reasons. Except Savard was older and proven less.

Funny enough they did trade him because of a cultural shakeup and attitude, and we lived the next decade wondering what could have been for our all-star winger if they had kept a skilled center instead of "character" centers. I don't want to #### that up again.
Fair points and duly noted. Don’t get me wrong I’m not going to be angry if Monahan isn’t trade was just thinking out loud on a topic I never seen brought up.

I hated the Savard trade, especially given that they fired GG1.0 days later

BTW thanks for the respectful rebuttal and not just sticking your tough out and calling me a stupid-head.
Rtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:07 AM   #72
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

1) Fire the entire coaching staff but keep Treliving
2) Hire Quenneville if available, if not D. Sutter or A.Vigneault
3) Try to trade Brouwer. if not, might as well keep him around next year so the buyout isn't as bad. Not like the Flames will be crunched against the cap.

Trade 1
To Calgary:
Max Domi

To Arizona:
Sam Bennett
Late Pick/Prospect

Trade 2
To Calgary:
Wayne Simmonds

To Philadelphia:
TJ Brodie

2018-2019 Calgary Flames

Gaudreau-Monahan-Simmonds
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Domi
Ferland-Backlund-Frolik
Mangiapane-Lazar-Brouwer
Klimchuk/Foo

Giordano-Hamilton
Hamonic-Andersson
Stone-Kulak
Wotherspoon (Kylington ready for call-ups)

Smith
Gillies

Last edited by keenan87; 03-20-2018 at 11:16 AM.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:45 AM   #73
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Playing GM with random trades and UFA signings is fun and all, but we all know that these trades/signings won’t happen for reasons outside of this teams management’s control.

To me they need to decide what kind of a team they want first.

Get a coach with a clear vision and plan to establish an identity.

If it is to be a skill team, go after skilled players.
Speedy team? Go after speedy players.
Tough and tumble team? Get players to help that.

Get rid of the players that bring little to fit the chosen team identity. Especially on bottom 6 and 3rd pair D. These should be easier to re-fill than top liners.

Players on the bottom lines need a purpose. Top 2 lines are there to score. What is our 4th line’s motto? Play boring uninspired hockey and hopefully not get scored on?

They need either speed or muscle there. Preferably both. That’s why guys like Stajan have no place on this team. He brings nothing.
Brouwer? He is big and tough. Play like it or sit. He’d be an ok 4th liner if he got physical. That’s the only part of his game that may still have value. He won’t score or set up plays. Give him a simple role, be the 4th line goon or sit.
Lazar and Hathaway can go or stay and rotate. They can skate, hit and provide some energy. Something that Stajan can’t do. But I wouldn’t care if one or both left. Dime a dozen players that can be replaced.
Jankowski should be our 3rd centre. Get him wingers that suit his game and the team’s identity, whatever that may be. This team didn’t have him in their plans this year so he got stuck with revolving spare parts. Hasn’t really worked.

The D is butter soft.
Brodie, Hamilton and Kulak don’t scare anyone. Kulak has little value so maybe trade Brodie and find a tougher D. The trade doesn’t have to be D for D obviously. Just cash in on Brodie while he may still have good value and toughen up the D.

We are ok in goal for next season.

So in short. Get team identity and get players that play with a purpose. No more taking shifts just to burn minutes. Score, hit, check, fight or sit. Being a nice guy should not give you ice time.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:05 PM   #74
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unfortunately I think that our window to trade Brodie for "value" has closed by now. We should have done it at the beginning of this season. 2 straight years of very obvious decline probably has him in the "trash heap pickup" category of player value right now. Very unfortunate.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:08 PM   #75
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

CENTRES
77 Mark Jankowski - re-sign
23 Sean Monahan - keep
25 Nick Shore - re-sign

LEFT WINGS
93 Sam Bennett - keep
79 Micheal Ferland - trade
13 Johnny Gaudreau - keep; untouchable
15 Tanner Glass - boot out the door
19 Matthew Tkachuk - keep; untouchable

RIGHT WINGS
36 Troy Brouwer - buyout
67 Michael Frolik - keep
20 Curtis Lazar - keep
10 Kris Versteeg - Re-sign

DEFENSE
7 T.J. Brodie - trade,
5 Mark Giordano - indifferent
27 Dougie Hamilton - keep; untouchable
24 Travis Hamonic - keep
61 Brett Kulak - keep
26 Michael Stone - trade

GOALIES
33 David Rittich - keep
41 Mike Smith - keep

Ass. Coach: Paul Jerrard - indifferent
Ass. Coach: Martin Gelinas - indifferent
Goal Coach: Jordan Sigalet - indifferent
GM: Brad Treliving - keep
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesKickAss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 12:16 PM   #76
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Trade 1
To Calgary:
Max Domi

To Arizona:
Sam Bennett
Late Pick/Prospect

Trade 2
To Calgary:
Wayne Simmonds

To Philadelphia:
TJ Brodie
Good start, but I think you need to add another.

Trade 3
To Calgary:
Evgeni Malkin

To Pittsburgh:
Brett Kulak
4th round pick

That should do it!
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:16 PM   #77
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm going to get ripped for this, but I think we have to look at moving out Guadreau. Obviously we can't sell low on him and only if we get a comparable return for him. But there are a couple of things about his game that I don't like.

He's never stood up for a team mate. For Christ sake he won the Lady Bing, I don't think he's had a real fight in his time in college hockey, or in the pro's.

I'm not saying he has to fight often, but he really would have rallied the team if he would have jumped on Reaves face the other day and planted a Flames flag like an astronaut landing on the moon after the Brodie incident.

Johnny's also below average defensively, I know that players like him don't come around every day, but I believe that he's a product of Matt Stajan, and he's only got some 20 odd goals, that's certainly low for a guy that makes over 6 million bucks a year fer crying out loud.
Totally agree. He's a one dimension player, defensively lacking and I don't believe he's a team player. Have you watched him on the bench. He hardly ever speaks with his team mates. If he was on any other team we'd have labelled him a whiner. He's the best bargaining chip we've got. Move him for a needed RW and a draft.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:17 PM   #78
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

CENTRES
77 Mark Jankowski - untouchable
23 Sean Monahan - untouchable
25 Nick Shore - indifferent

LEFT WINGS
93 Sam Bennett - keep
79 Micheal Ferland - keep
13 Johnny Gaudreau - untouchable
15 Tanner Glass - let walk
19 Matthew Tkachuk - untouchable

RIGHT WINGS
36 Troy Brouwer - buyout
67 Michael Frolik - trade
20 Curtis Lazar - indifferent
10 Kris Versteeg - let walk

DEFENSE
7 T.J. Brodie - keep
5 Mark Giordano - keep
27 Dougie Hamilton - untouchable
24 Travis Hamonic - keep
61 Brett Kulak - keep
26 Michael Stone - trade

GOALIES
33 David Rittich - keep
41 Mike Smith - keep

Ass. Coach: Paul Jerrard - indifferent
Ass. Coach: Martin Gelinas - keep
Goal Coach: Jordan Sigalet - keep
GM: Brad Treliving - untouchable
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #79
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep Treliving, Hamilton, Tkachuk, Giordano, Gaudreau, Monahan, Backlund, Bennett, Brodie and most of the prospects.

Everyone else? Indifferent, trade or fire.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:34 PM   #80
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
Matthew Tkachuk is the only real untouchable on the Flames.
I would add Gaudreau to that list. Without him the offence dries up even more, and it will trickle down the lineup. Probably Gio I add too. He's a rock back there, and we need players like him. Those 3 I think are the only completely 100% untouchables unless it's massive over-payment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtown View Post
I’m prolly gonna get ripped for this but I don’t get how people think a culture change will come from dumping Brouwer and Stajan? If those 2 are the bloodline of this team then the problems are deeper than we think.

I think you have to look at moving out Monahan. Obviously not selling low and only if you get a comparable return but there’s a couple things about his game that bug me.

Everyone talks about these “hate to lose” guys. He is not one of these guys he is as emotionless as I’ve ever seen in a player. How come he’s NEVER stood up for a teammate? I actually had to look it up. He’s had ONE fight 6 years ago in the O. Never in the big leagues. I’m not saying he has to fight every second game or take on Reaves the other day but to not stick up for Johnny, his supposed BFF on the team, even once? Even just once. You can’t tell me that Monahan couldn’t have stood up to Staal last year?
He’s well below average defensively, I know, I know, 30+ goal scorers don’t come around every day but is he truly a great goal scorer? Or is he a by product of Johnny? He’s not a “sniper” by no means (see:Iggy/OV/Laine). I would gladly take a 1C who pots 25 but is much stronger in his own end.
Don’t get me wrong I like the kid, I’m not a “Monahan-hater” by no means but he seems to escape a lot of criticism for a very one dimensional player. I think if you’re looking at a tough decision to change to core it might have to be him.

I won't even include Monahan on my untouchable list. I love him as a player and he produces like a decent #1 C. But he does NOT strike me as a guy who hates to lose. As good as he's been this season, he's been pretty disappointing down the stretch for a player who usually 'brings it' the 2nd half.

4 goals his last 20 games. A bunch of games with only 1/no shots. He was on pace for 50 goals/PPG...then 40 goals and just under PPG...and now he's settled right in near his career high and likely won't go up that much further.

30+ goals/60+ pts is nothing to slouch at. But he was on pace to smash those totals. And now he's slowed down and settled in where he usually is. TBH I view him as one of the disappointments down the stretch. He's not a line driver and isn't nearly as physical as he should be. Sure it's fun to make 'boring Sean Monahan' memes and have hearty chuckles about it. But is that really what you want your #1 C to be? He's got a long ways to be before he's at the tier guys like Kopitar or even Toews are at when you look at them being complete players.

I'm not saying I want to move him. The team is obviously better with him than without. But he's not nearly as untouchable as Gaudreau or Tkachuk.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post: