Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #341
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

For my 'everyday drinking' kind of beer, I always go back to Kokanee Gold.

It was the first 6 pack I bought on my 18th birthday, and it's been a favorite of mine ever since.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #342
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

For a good drinking game beer, Rolling Rock is tough to beat. Crisp beer without the lingering after taste. Decently priced as well.. although if you get a chance to drink it out of the bottle from the states it does taste better than the canned stuff we get up here. These are my go to fishing beer as they are few beer I can drink from a can. Not that I worry about the taste, just that not enough good beer come in a can!

Not sure why.. anyone?
Old 01-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #343
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I always have to watch my local liquor store because the "on special" beer is usually 3-4 months past it's expiry date.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #344
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
For a good drinking game beer, Rolling Rock is tough to beat. Crisp beer without the lingering after taste. Decently priced as well.. although if you get a chance to drink it out of the bottle from the states it does taste better than the canned stuff we get up here. These are my go to fishing beer as they are few beer I can drink from a can. Not that I worry about the taste, just that not enough good beer come in a can!

Not sure why.. anyone?
Here's an interesting article that makes the case that cans are superior to bottles, but explains that premium beer is usually only sold in bottles due to tradition and the myth about cans giving beer a metallic taste.

http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/2...can_revolution

I don't have a big preference between cans and brown bottles, but I refuse to drink beer out of clear or green bottles (including Rolling Rock) because it's skunked way too often.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gargamel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #345
WilderPegasus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
These are my go to fishing beer as they are few beer I can drink from a can. Not that I worry about the taste, just that not enough good beer come in a can!

Not sure why.. anyone?
They're not my cup of tea but Red Racer beers are highly regarded and come in a can.
WilderPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #346
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel View Post
Here's an interesting article that makes the case that cans are superior to bottles, but explains that premium beer is usually only sold in bottles due to tradition and the myth about cans giving beer a metallic taste.

I don't have a big preference between cans and brown bottles, but I refuse to drink beer out of clear or green bottles (including Rolling Rock) because it's skunked way too often.
Interesting. I've ALWAYS enjoyed beer from bottles more than cans. Even cheap beer. I'd rather have a Canadian (if I have to) out of a bottle than a can. Same deal for better beer (though cans are much rarer).

Anyone else like this too?

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #347
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Interesting. I've ALWAYS enjoyed beer from bottles more than cans. Even cheap beer. I'd rather have a Canadian (if I have to) out of a bottle than a can. Same deal for better beer (though cans are much rarer).

Anyone else like this too?
I agree that a bottle feels better and pours smoother, but take a Corona in a bottle and a Corona in a can and pour them both into glasses. I guarantee that you'll only need to add a lime to the glass that came from the bottle.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #348
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
I'm brewing an Imperial Pilsner next. Just finished making a 4L yeast starter for it. Never done a lager before, hopefully it works out.
Wow. How did I miss this thread? It's about beer, one of the most important things in my life. Anyway.

Anyone looking for a good homebrew recipe needs to check these out

http://www.thevineyard.ca/making-beer?articleid=90

http://tangledvinesblog.files.wordpr...whousetips.pdf

I've done a few of them, and taking a brewhouse wort and making a few modifications results in SUPERB beer. I did a Blue Moon clone in the summer (google it) and a dark chocolate lager shortly thereafter. I still have a case of it in my basement.

For those that think it's too much work it really isn't. Invest in a CO2 cylinder, regulator and taps, and buy some corny kegs on ebay. For about $400 I have a set up that gets rid of bottles (easy sanitizing!!) and quick carbonating (force carbonating cuts off about 3-4 weeks). IIRC it's something like 50 litres of beer for about $50, so once I get going I can have 3 batches on the go (so almost 100 beers a week). More than I can possibly consume, that's for sure.

The downside is I have to watch the beer intake; having 2 delicious kegs around at all times makes you fat. Another odd byproduct is the sneers you get from people when you tell them it's homebrew, and they don't want any. My homebrew is better than any store bought urine I've come across, so I happily live with the stigma of skunk beer, and turn my nose up at the guy who cracks a molson Canadian in front of me.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #349
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel View Post

How beer is physically drank makes a big difference. Imagine drinking beer out of a straw - blech. Why should it be different? My theory is that it comes into first contact with a different part of your mouth/tongue that is less receptive to the beer taste.

That's why I prefer bottles. I still like cans for certain times, but bottles are definitely the most pleasing.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #350
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bottles also keep the beer cold longer than a can will. The aluminum will come up to room temperature much quicker than glass will.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #351
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

I just started a job for the Brentwood liquor depot......they have Craft beer on tap for sale that they put in casked bottles.

Not cheap but coolest idea I have seen EVER in an Alberta Liquor store
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #352
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone seen these anywhere in Calgary? I heard a rumour that Willow Park used to sell them but I haven't had any luck when I've gone in, and the manager there said he doesn't remember them being on their shelf ever.

I love my Beertender, just getting tired of Heiniken being the only option with it.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #353
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
Has anyone seen these anywhere in Calgary? I heard a rumour that Willow Park used to sell them but I haven't had any luck when I've gone in, and the manager there said he doesn't remember them being on their shelf ever.

I love my Beertender, just getting tired of Heiniken being the only option with it.
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #354
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ exactly
Old 02-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #355
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:

Try the co-op on Southland and 24st they always have a great selection of non popular beers and my opinion is that they have the best beer selection in Calgary.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Violator For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #356
WilderPegasus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
For those that think it's too much work it really isn't. Invest in a CO2 cylinder, regulator and taps, and buy some corny kegs on ebay. For about $400 I have a set up that gets rid of bottles (easy sanitizing!!) and quick carbonating (force carbonating cuts off about 3-4 weeks). IIRC it's something like 50 litres of beer for about $50, so once I get going I can have 3 batches on the go (so almost 100 beers a week). More than I can possibly consume, that's for sure.
Do you also have a kegerator to keep the kegs cold?
WilderPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #357
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Try the co-op on Southland and 24st they always have a great selection of non popular beers and my opinion is that they have the best beer selection in Calgary.
Called 'em, no dice
Old 02-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #358
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

shameless bump.

I want my beeeeeer

Has anyone seen these around Calgary?
Old 02-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #359
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

In Cowtown this weekend, recommend to me a pub downtown somewhere between the Dome and 4th that has a great beer selection along with some good appies and a kitchen open late...

I will repay you in thanks and appreciation.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #360
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
great beer selection
Craft on 10th Ave just east of 4th. 100+ beers on tap.
The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:

Tags
beer , conway twitty , drunks , yes conway twitty