Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-21-2017, 06:55 AM   #4641
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
Better question is when is it ever working?
Every time I've flown with them since the system went in.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:09 AM   #4642
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My last 2 flights it worked one way. The way back it was not connecting properly. They rebooted it 3 times and got it working about an hour into the flight. So not flawless, but mostly good. It's a bit glitchy sometimes but not unusable.

My biggest complaint is the Android app on my phone does not go loud enough. I am fine using normal media on my phone, but for some reason the app is just barely usable at full volume, and I've tried 3 different pairs of headphones.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:29 AM   #4643
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Every time I've flown with them since the system went in.
My last 4 flights it hasn't been working.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:46 AM   #4644
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The aviation gods smile upon me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #4645
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I rarely see problems with connect. It is exponentially more reliable than livetv.

Only problems I've personally had were if I hadn't updated the app recently.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:22 PM   #4646
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
I rarely see problems with connect. It is exponentially more reliable than livetv.

Only problems I've personally had were if I hadn't updated the app recently.
Are you not a pilot? A little concerning you are Netflix and chillin when you should be flying.

Even more concerning if the pilot has to update apps on his own.

Hey Siri, where is Hawaii?

We need a tongue in cheek emoji.
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 03:20 PM   #4647
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
Are you not a pilot? A little concerning you are Netflix and chillin when you should be flying.

Even more concerning if the pilot has to update apps on his own.

Hey Siri, where is Hawaii?

We need a tongue in cheek emoji.
He's got a lot of time to kill between pressing the take off and land buttons.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 05:33 PM   #4648
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
He's got a lot of time to kill between pressing the take off and land buttons.
Hey now, he's not flying an Airbus.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 12:14 AM   #4649
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, I guess I am kind of curious what kind of savings would somebody actually see in a ULCC air service here? It doesn't seem like much can be taken away, and the flights can only get so cheap after the fuel and surcharges, airport fees, etc are factored in. Are we just looking at seat sale type fares year-round? I don't see how consumers would get much better prices for whatever Westjet is planning on doing, unless it's just to set a new precedent of lower expectations.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:11 AM   #4650
Hockeyguy13
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
So, I guess I am kind of curious what kind of savings would somebody actually see in a ULCC air service here? It doesn't seem like much can be taken away, and the flights can only get so cheap after the fuel and surcharges, airport fees, etc are factored in. Are we just looking at seat sale type fares year-round? I don't see how consumers would get much better prices for whatever Westjet is planning on doing, unless it's just to set a new precedent of lower expectations.
It will most likely be a similar model to Newleaf. You are correct, it will set a precedent of lower expectations. There is lots they can take away.

The "base" fare will be cheaper and you will pay extra for what you want. Nothing will come with the fare except a seat on the airplane. Most likely the aircraft will have more seats than a standard WJ plane so leg room will be reduced therefore increasing seating capacity.

Some examples of what other ULCC make you pay for:
- Printing boarding pass at airport
- Carry on bag
- Any kind of drink or snack
- Boarding priority
- Pets

The list go's on.

Last edited by Hockeyguy13; 04-23-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:16 PM   #4651
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ That sounds great for trips to Kelowna to see family. I hope the fares really are cheaper, it'd be great to be able to afford to fly out there more often in the winter.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:01 PM   #4652
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

As a frequent domestic flyer to smaller cities, my biggest concern is that they won't offer their new low cost airiline concurrently with regular west jet flights.

It'll mean I'll have to take the low cost by default and after we factor in the carry on, which is unavoidable, it'll end up being the same price for worse service.

I'm concerned that this is just a way to cut costs to low priority routes since there is no competition, thereby leaving consumers with no choice, worse service and the same prices. All it may do in reality is increase WestJet's profit margins.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:11 PM   #4653
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

On the topic of flight prices, does anyone know why US airlines, flying out of Canadian cities to US destinations, charge twice the price to people from Canadian addresses? Is it just some BS anticompetitive handshake agreements between the Canadian and American Airlines?
Old 04-24-2017, 10:24 PM   #4654
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

The other day my almost 2 year old got ridiculously excited when he saw a plane flying over head. Could barely contain himself. So I figure taking him to the airport to watch planes takeoff and land might be a fun way to spend a morning.

What part of the airport would be the best place to do this? (Good view, maybe a food place close by, maybe away from a really congested area if there is one?.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:03 AM   #4655
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there is a plane spotters website that lists a lot of viewing places but I don't have access to it now. But off the top of my head I can think of two good places depending on wind direction and which runways are in use for departures and arrivals.

1. Right off McKnight and east of 12 Street NE. They have a viewing lot right at the door of the west runway that is pretty good and there are some fast food joints nearby. Great views if they are landing north or departing south.

2. North end of Barlow basically beside WestJet HQ. There is a small parking lot to your left as soon as you turn towards Westjet. Not quite as good a view of the east runway but the aircraft taxiing to/from it go right past you so you get a great close up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 01:07 AM   #4656
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I think there is a plane spotters website that lists a lot of viewing places but I don't have access to it now.
Got it.

http://www.dude8472productions.com/y...g-guide-1.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 08:29 AM   #4657
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Art-Deco inspired jet

http://www.designboom.com/technology...co-04-24-2017/
The Following User Says Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 08:47 AM   #4658
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's the one I was thinking of, thanks Acey.

And holy crap that Art Deco jet, I love it but man is it hard on the eyes too.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:07 PM   #4659
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
The other day my almost 2 year old got ridiculously excited when he saw a plane flying over head. Could barely contain himself. So I figure taking him to the airport to watch planes takeoff and land might be a fun way to spend a morning.

What part of the airport would be the best place to do this? (Good view, maybe a food place close by, maybe away from a really congested area if there is one?.
If you want to go to the airport itself, I would recommend the food court in the old terminal. You can look out the windows and a variety of food right there. There is also a little play area on the departures level, right at the end near WestJet domestic (A) or on the arrival level near door 3 (Jugo Juice near that one). If your child likes dogs too, you may run into some of the airport visitor dogs if you go Thursday, Friday, or Saturday between 10-11:30 or 6-7:30. They often go behind security, so you're probably more likely to run into them near the start of their shifts (their dressing room is near the playground on the arrivals level).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 07:57 PM   #4660
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tim Hortons at McKnight by Pegasus might be good. Has some outdoor picnic tables to watch planes just leaving or arriving from the airport. There might also be some vantage points of the cargo planes from off of 11th St NE (when you exit Deerfoot onto Beddington Tr, take the right and you get to the terminals for FedEx, Purolator, etc. on Aero Dr. Actually I don't know If there is much to see there, but when I have gone to FedEx, you can see the planes nearby.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
airplanes , avgeeks , aviation , flight , spotters