Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-14-2017, 12:08 PM   #41
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

I bit the bullet and ordered an S8+ which I am looking forward to.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 09:32 PM   #42
MrDJZak
Farm Team Player
 
MrDJZak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Exp:
Default

Picked mine up this morning.

Quick unboxing from my tech blog / YouTube channel:



Loving this phone so far. Was able to load on the Google Now launcher.
Bixby seems kind of useless so far. But at least the swipe from the left still brings up the Google Now cards.
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrDJZak For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 07:22 AM   #43
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

^ Are you in Calgary? I am on the list and haven't moved according to the site...
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:42 AM   #44
MrDJZak
Farm Team Player
 
MrDJZak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
^ Are you in Calgary? I am on the list and haven't moved according to the site...
Yes, in Calgary.
I don't know what list you're talking about. I just got a call from the Bell dealer.

Hey guys, I also did a quick follow-up review on the VRS Design Simpli Mod case on my YouTube channel.
I'll be reviewing more cases and accessories for the GS8 as I get them.
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:55 AM   #45
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDJZak View Post
Yes, in Calgary.
I don't know what list you're talking about. I just got a call from the Bell dealer.

Hey guys, I also did a quick follow-up review on the VRS Design Simpli Mod case on my YouTube channel.
I'll be reviewing more cases and accessories for the GS8 as I get them.
Oh I just meant the waiting list for preorders through Rogers. I guess the same but different.

I will definitely check out the reviews for cases and such as well!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 09:56 PM   #46
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Exp:
Default

Got mine today. Such a beautiful device.
__________________

ClubFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:18 PM   #47
phaneuf_train
Powerplay Quarterback
 
phaneuf_train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Exp:
Default

I also got mine today I'm pretty stoked on this phone as my old Galaxy s5 was sniffing too much glue. Any recommendations as to what to get on it?
phaneuf_train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:59 AM   #48
MrDJZak
Farm Team Player
 
MrDJZak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Exp:
Default

Do this. Do this now!



I'm using the Bixby Button Remapper app to go to Google Now, along with the Google Now Launcher.

Feels just like a Nexus/Pixel!
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrDJZak For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2017, 12:04 PM   #49
MrDJZak
Farm Team Player
 
MrDJZak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Exp:
Default

If you guys are looking at cases for the Galaxy S8, check out my review of the new OtterBox cases.

I hope this helps.




The VR headset that came free with the pre-order already showed up this week! Arrived on Friday. I'll have an unboxing and quick look at it later this week.
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:35 AM   #50
NuclearFart
Powerplay Quarterback
 
NuclearFart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Probably too late to add to your review, but it might be worth adding that the Otter box defender 1) doesn't work with a lot of the wireless chargers and 2) the sticky rubber surface makes it really challenging to get in/out of your front pocket.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:12 PM   #51
psicodude
First Line Centre
 
psicodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

3) It makes you look like an old IT dude.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #52
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

I don't know what to do with the case issue. I have a screen protector at this point and might just stick with that...but maybe that's tempting fate. I'm so torn with it.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #53
NuclearFart
Powerplay Quarterback
 
NuclearFart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

After literally going through 5 phones since the S6 edge secondary to pocket high drops shattering the glass, I finally bit the bullet and got a case on this one. Went overboard on protection and tried the Otter box defender for a couple days but absolutely hated it. I've been using the Spigen slim armour since then and its far superior functionally, but the protection remains to be seen.

Relative to the Otter brick which probably needs to be carried in a fanny pack, its also much more aesthetically pleasing. That said it still ruins the unique look of the phone, but that's going to happen with any case.

I'll probably revert back to tempting fate in a month or two. It's a tax write off, right?
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NuclearFart For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 01:48 PM   #54
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
After literally going through 5 phones since the S6 edge secondary to pocket high drops shattering the glass, I finally bit the bullet and got a case on this one. Went overboard on protection and tried the Otter box defender for a couple days but absolutely hated it. I've been using the Spigen slim armour since then and its far superior functionally, but the protection remains to be seen.

Relative to the Otter brick which probably needs to be carried in a fanny pack, its also much more aesthetically pleasing. That said it still ruins the unique look of the phone, but that's going to happen with any case.

I'll probably revert back to tempting fate in a month or two. It's a tax write off, right?
Tax write-off and if you buy the device protection (also a write-off) then you can basically do whatever you want!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:08 AM   #55
MrDJZak
Farm Team Player
 
MrDJZak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
Probably too late to add to your review, but it might be worth adding that the Otter box defender 1) doesn't work with a lot of the wireless chargers and 2) the sticky rubber surface makes it really challenging to get in/out of your front pocket.
Agreed...and yes, too late to add to the video. The video was more of a quick unboxing and show of the product. I try to keep my video to 5 minutes or under. However, I will try to fit things like this into future videos. Thanks for watching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
3) It makes you look like an old IT dude.
LOL! Yup. I used the Defender for 1/2 day and went back to the Gold Symmetry. Even then, I'm thinking of going to the VRS Design Simpli Mod. It's a very slim case, nice faux leather back. Very minimal.

Review and unboxing:

MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrDJZak For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2017, 08:44 AM   #56
Sainters7
Franchise Player
 
Sainters7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: back in the 403
Exp:
Default

Probably way too early, but anyone know what the battery life is supposed to be like? After 1 year my S6 Edge battery life is a complete disaster. I'm charging it 3-4 times a day and I don't even use it much and keep the data off.

If the S8 battery is similar, as loyal as I've tried to be with that series, they're going to lose me going forward. Feel like I've been a battery life slave with every Galaxy S model I've had, tired of it...but the 8 just looks so sexy! That's how they get me
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:20 PM   #57
boosterjuice
Backup Goalie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Probably way too early, but anyone know what the battery life is supposed to be like? After 1 year my S6 Edge battery life is a complete disaster. I'm charging it 3-4 times a day and I don't even use it much and keep the data off.

If the S8 battery is similar, as loyal as I've tried to be with that series, they're going to lose me going forward. Feel like I've been a battery life slave with every Galaxy S model I've had, tired of it...but the 8 just looks so sexy! That's how they get me
I'm LOVING my s8 so far. I too came from the S6 Edge and I was hesitant to go with a samsung device due to the poor battery performance. The S8 has been absolutely awesome compared to the S6. I rarely need to charge at all throughout the day. A few times I had 70% at the END OF THE DAY (on days that I didn't stream radio)!!! Needless to say, this is still shocking for me coming from an S6. The battery manager tells me that I should expect around 18hrs between charges based on my usage.

The Gear VR uses up a LOT of battery. There are many tweaks that you can do to improve battery life.
boosterjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boosterjuice For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2017, 03:45 PM   #58
Sainters7
Franchise Player
 
Sainters7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: back in the 403
Exp:
Default

Love it, thanks! Yeah I need to get one, hopefully I can upgrade 8 months early. This phone needs to die
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:03 PM   #59
boosterjuice
Backup Goalie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

For my case I went with this Spigen case:

https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Cushio...ords=s8+spigen

It has a need kickstand in it that has already proven useful. However, I'd prefer something that was more grippy and had a thinner profile. It adds a fair bit to the sides of the phone making it more difficult for one-hand operation.

To protect the screen, I got ghost armor from a mall vendor. I'm concerned about the ghost armor eventually peeling off due to the edge curves, but we'll see. The ghost armor also seems to be a bit of a problem for the Gear VR. I am a little distracted while using VR as I can see the ghost armor. I haven't tried the Gear VR without the ghost armor yet so I'm not certain what to compare it with.
boosterjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #60
MrDJZak
Farm Team Player
 
MrDJZak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Exp:
Default

Never mind.

Last edited by MrDJZak; 05-05-2017 at 05:49 PM.
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:32 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016