Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Ivrnet

Notices

Old 04-15-2017, 01:49 AM   #2161
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

And despite its awkwardness, the Liberals' position still comes across as far more nuanced than the "infinitely worse than tobacco" stance of their predecessors.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:50 AM   #2162
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I will give credit because it addressed my two key concerns

Dealing with underaged smokers. I like the idea of punitive legislation for people that sell or distribute this stuff to younger people

Putting in legislation in terms of using saliva tests on drivers.

The rest of it just seems to be a confusing mess of half measures though with the heavy lifting having to be done by provinces.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:52 AM   #2163
PepsiFree
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The rest of it just seems to be a confusing mess of half measures though with the heavy lifting having to be done by provinces.
Examples? It seemed straightforward to me.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:15 PM   #2164
icecube
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I will give credit because it addressed my two key concerns

Dealing with underaged smokers. I like the idea of punitive legislation for people that sell or distribute this stuff to younger people

Putting in legislation in terms of using saliva tests on drivers.

I think I heard the penalty for selling to minors could be up to 14 years in jail. That seems ridiculously excessive. It's cannabis, not heroin. Make it the same penalty as selling or providing booze to a minor.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2017, 04:24 PM   #2165
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think it varies on the severity of the offense. I saw this chart online the other day that explains everything pretty well.

Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:32 PM   #2166
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
I think I heard the penalty for selling to minors could be up to 14 years in jail. That seems ridiculously excessive. It's cannabis, not heroin. Make it the same penalty as selling or providing booze to a minor.
Personally I would be just as happy with a major fine for the first offense like 5k. Then bring back short hard labor sentences after that.

From another question, I can just see the howl if some 18 year old kid at a party gives some grass to his 17 year old friends.

I also think that leaving the majority of the heavy lifting to the provinces to deal with is just going to create a bit of a mess province to province for example.

There's also the question of Canadians going over the border to the States and because grass is legal up here, that they get busted for either being stoned when they hit the border, or else they have inadvertently left some grass or paraphernalia in their car. I do believe that we're going to have to negotiate or include the American's in this thing just because of the longest border thing.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:43 PM   #2167
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

The Government doesnt like competition so the penalties will be harsh.
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2017, 04:54 PM   #2168
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Maybe the sentence should be a period of slavery in the government grass cigarette rolling factory.

"Since you are so good at rolling joints, you will now roll joints for the government. You must roll 5000 joints a day or you will be beaten"
Old 04-15-2017, 05:31 PM   #2169
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There's also the question of Canadians going over the border to the States and because grass is legal up here, that they get busted for either being stoned when they hit the border, or else they have inadvertently left some grass or paraphernalia in their car. I do believe that we're going to have to negotiate or include the American's in this thing just because of the longest border thing.
Uh no. If you're an idiot, you deal with the consequences.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2017, 05:35 PM   #2170
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Personally I would be just as happy with a major fine for the first offense like 5k. Then bring back short hard labor sentences after that.

From another question, I can just see the howl if some 18 year old kid at a party gives some grass to his 17 year old friends.

I also think that leaving the majority of the heavy lifting to the provinces to deal with is just going to create a bit of a mess province to province for example.

On the province to province thing, I think its fine. Firstly, provinces deal with alcohol and it's not an issue. Secondly, from time to time the provinces want Ottawa to stay out of things and let them deal with things...so here you go. It's not rocket science and the groundwork is laid out.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2017, 05:44 PM   #2171
iggy_oi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Uh no. If you're an idiot, you deal with the consequences.
And I think if our border services can handle someone with the right to bear arms forgetting about a hidden gun in their glove box for Americans crossing into Canada, homeland security are probably well equipped enough to handle someone forgetting about a bag in their car. Would it suck to be in that situation? Sure, but so would the fallout from forgetting to put on clothes before leaving the house, that's why people typically make a point of remembering to not forget about such things.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:55 PM   #2172
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
I would argue that the penalty for providing booze to a minor should be increased but you also need to be careful with maximum sentences. Because there is a difference between an 18yr old get buying weed for his 16yr old brother and an organized group growing their own weed to sell directly to teens to circumvent the law.

So a $500 fine is probably fine in the first case is fine but if it's a 3rd offennse running an organization 14yrs might be reasonable.

As long as their is no minimum sentence I am not too worried
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:06 PM   #2173
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software

Exp:

Quote:
Not really. I'm with rubecube. If you're stupid enough to do something that often results in a lifetime ban from entering the US, that's on you. Marijuana is a controlled substance federally in the US. There's no actual need to negotiate this: know what the rules of the country you are visiting are.

Resolute 14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2017, 05:25 PM   #2174
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

it's why you always hide the marijuana you're bringing into the US in your butt
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 10:11 AM   #2175
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Elizabeth May. Devil in sheep's clothing? If the security allegations are true, I'm surprised she would be allowed back in Parliament

http://www.financialpost.com/m/wp/fp...reen-activists
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #2176
puckedoff
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
it's why you always hide the marijuana you're bringing into the US in your butt
And always put an extra toothbrush and t-shirt in there in case you lose your luggage.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:28 AM   #2177
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
Elizabeth May. Devil in sheep's clothing? If the security allegations are true, I'm surprised she would be allowed back in Parliament

http://www.financialpost.com/m/wp/fp...reen-activists
Its always been all about Elizabeth, she pretty much gutted all of her other candidates to get get herself elected.

She talks about bringing civility to parliment and she's often the rudest woman there.

She's an ego case. I remember when she forced her way into the debate and then spend the whole debate screeching and sucking up to the Liberal candidate at the time the equally worthless Stephan Dion.

the sooner the green party dumps her and gets serious the better.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:32 AM   #2178
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kevin O'Leary drops out. Good.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle34818970/
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 11:35 AM   #2179
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Strange but understandable.

Bernier becomes a bigger front runner.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:41 AM   #2180
Resurrection
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Strangely respectable reasoning to drop out. I`m almost sad, An O`Leary ticket was an easy win for ABC
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote