Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Ivrnet

Notices

Old 10-06-2015, 08:19 AM   #41
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cenovus and Conoco cuts today.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:12 AM   #42
Simon96Taco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Cenovus and Conoco cuts today.
Good luck, folks
Simon96Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:23 AM   #43
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

The company I work for cancelled our Christmas party the other day. Kind of disheartening, but better then laying off more people.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #44
manwiches
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My buddy just got laid off at Conoco this morning. Also hearing Sinopec is looking at layoffs as well, and a friend is really nervous.

Crappy times... Hoping for a turnaround sooner than later
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 10:49 AM   #45
arcfyr
Draft Pick

Got the axe this morning (small EPCM). Severance was 1 week for working for a year and a half. Needless to say it's disappointingly low, but I really don't feel like burning any bridges with anyone at the very start of my career.

Anyone have any leads for sectors that need engineers? Willing to move of course, to do rotations, FIFO - whatever it takes.
arcfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #46
Harju
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcfyr View Post
Got the axe this morning (small EPCM). Severance was 1 week for working for a year and a half. Needless to say it's disappointingly low, but I really don't feel like burning any bridges with anyone at the very start of my career.

Anyone have any leads for sectors that need engineers? Willing to move of course, to do rotations, FIFO - whatever it takes.
You got the legal minimum (< 2years = 1 week). I think this is the norm for EPC's as my spouse went through lay offs with a large EPC and that was all they seemed to give. I'm sure they get away with it because as projects come and go, employees seem transistory among the companies; always relying on previous contacts to get new work elsewhere. No one wants to burn bridges.
Harju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:57 AM   #47
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

So how long will it take for the job market to stabilize if this is the new reality?

How many people would leave Calgary?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:58 AM   #48
peter12
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
So how long will it take for the job market to stabilize if this is the new reality?

ha, these are the questions we are all asking.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #49
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Haha! And yeah, teaching management and office staff how to conduct a train! That was also calculated.
I don't see the issue that most people have on the conductor training. I think if anything it would give you a better respect/understanding for the company you work for. Plus as a shareholder if the union went on strike (like it almost did in the spring) it is a great contingency plan to keep operations moving. It is a necessary evil to have a plan B when you are dealing with unions.

Also the location is great if you live in the SE it would be a 5 min drive for myself which would be awesome! I can understand the frustration from everyone who doesn't live in the SE though.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:39 PM   #50
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
I don't see the issue that most people have on the conductor training. I think if anything it would give you a better respect/understanding for the company you work for. Plus as a shareholder if the union went on strike (like it almost did in the spring) it is a great contingency plan to keep operations moving. It is a necessary evil to have a plan B when you are dealing with unions.

Also the location is great if you live in the SE it would be a 5 min drive for myself which would be awesome! I can understand the frustration from everyone who doesn't live in the SE though.
While I dont disagree with any specific points, most office staff, managers and accountants dont want to drive trains, it wasnt what they were hired for and it isnt what they want to do and they generally didnt sign up for it.

And whats more the Engineers and Operators make more money than the office workers do, so sending Helen from Payroll to take 300 containers to Trail rather than Jim the Engineer actually saves CP money and Hunter couldnt care less whether Helen likes it or not because if she complains she gets shown the door.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:45 PM   #51
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
While I dont disagree with any specific points, most office staff, managers and accountants dont want to drive trains, it wasnt what they were hired for and it isnt what they want to do and they generally didnt sign up for it.

And whats more the Engineers and Operators make more money than the office workers do, so sending Helen from Payroll to take 300 containers to Trail rather than Jim the Engineer actually saves CP money and Hunter couldnt care less whether Helen likes it or not because if she complains she gets shown the door.
True but Hunter hasn't sent office staff to drive those trains. I believe this policy was in place before he even came into the picture.

My point is if I am running my company I would want my employees to understand the business and have respect for what someone else does to help build that sense of pride. Maybe I am an odd duckling that no I don't want to drive trains for a living but it would be cool to learn how to drive one.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:46 PM   #52
feist
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcfyr View Post

Sorry to hear it may be legally correct but 1 week is not enough to help bridge the gap, was it company wide?
feist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:49 PM   #53
ah123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Based on what a friend of mine told me, office staff can be sent anywhere to drive the train; i.e. you might live in the SE but get sent to northern Saskatchewan to "refresh" your certification. The worst part is, you don't have a lot of say when it happens, you might be given as little as 4 hours notice; which really sucks if you have a spouse who needs to travel for work (and you have kids).
Old 10-06-2015, 12:51 PM   #54
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
True but Hunter hasn't sent office staff to drive those trains. I believe this policy was in place before he even came into the picture.

My point is if I am running my company I would want my employees to understand the business and have respect for what someone else does to help build that sense of pride. Maybe I am an odd duckling that no I don't want to drive trains for a living but it would be cool to learn how to drive one.
Actually I do believe it was Hunter's policy, and he did it exactly for the reasons you stated, so that the trains keep running regardless of unions or strikes and it makes no one 'untouchable' and everyone expendable.

I agree with you, depth and breadth of organizational knowledge is usually a valuable asset within any company but it also depends on management and their desired structure.

The more you know and can do the more valuable you are as an employee, but it seems pretty clear to me that Hunter wants to ensure that no one is so valuable as to become too expensive or indispensable.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:52 PM   #55
lazypucker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's not just the oil and gas industry is impacted, my company (in financial investments) just let go of 8 people (accounting/legal type) over the last couple of days. With money being tight everywhere, we aren't making a lot of sales, thus the need to trim down....
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:56 PM   #56
VENIVIDIVICI
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post

Easy answer - it will take QE 4 (in one form or another) for the job market to start bottoming out and QE 5 to fully recover. QE 4 is coming sometime after the US elections. The reality is our economic system is a big drug addict who needs a bigger dose of monetary heroine each time he goes through withdrawal. Ultimately, the patient must die, but out "smart" politicians just won't let it happen under their watch. The only way to really fix this economy is to let the patient die, that is to let the recession/depression run its course to fix all the imbalances and return to free markets.
VENIVIDIVICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:58 PM   #57
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Actually I do believe it was Hunter's policy, and he did it exactly for the reasons you stated, so that the trains keep running regardless of unions or strikes and it makes no one 'untouchable' and everyone expendable.

I agree with you, depth and breadth of organizational knowledge is usually a valuable asset within any company but it also depends on management and their desired structure.

The more you know and can do the more valuable you are as an employee, but it seems pretty clear to me that Hunter wants to ensure that no one is so valuable as to become too expensive or indispensable.
It was not. My grandfather and father worked their whole lives for CP. My dad was a civil engineer and manager on the Transportation Dept at Windsor Station and was sent out to shim rails in Sask during a strike in the mid 90s.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 01:01 PM   #58
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
It was not. My grandfather and father worked their whole lives for CP. My dad was a civil engineer and manager on the Transportation Dept at Windsor Station and was sent out to shim rails in Sask during a strike in the mid 90s.
Okay, well, there you go. I didnt know that, I only heard about the policy very recently.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:07 PM   #59
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VENIVIDIVICI View Post
Easy answer - it will take QE 4 (in one form or another) for the job market to start bottoming out and QE 5 to fully recover. QE 4 is coming sometime after the US elections. The reality is our economic system is a big drug addict who needs a bigger dose of monetary heroine each time he goes through withdrawal. Ultimately, the patient must die, but out "smart" politicians just won't let it happen under their watch. The only way to really fix this economy is to let the patient die, that is to let the recession/depression run its course to fix all the imbalances and return to free markets.
You're a member of the League of Shadows, aren't you?
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #60
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Personally, I'd be stoked to learn how to drive a train, are you kidding?!
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to polak For This Useful Post: