Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Ivrnet

Notices

Old 10-05-2015, 01:12 PM   #21
peter12
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Serious question, have you ever worked up north? It's not that big a stretch.

And saying "increased crime rate" is rather vague. It's not like it's bank robberies or large scale serial killings. Could be increases in petty theft, or someone loses their job, hits the bottle, then hits his wife.

A poster here had his generator stolen on a camping trip in broad daylight (don't remember who). I would assume someone in an RV park with a new diesel and RV that took it, was employed somewhere. Being a productive employee and being a criminal are not exactly mutually exclusive.
Based on personal experience, I would bet that a significant small minority of patch workers have serious issues with the law. Drug and alcohol use is still a prevalent issue.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:21 PM   #22
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Uh oh....my phones just starting ringing.

It appears as though if you are anywhere up to 7 years from retirement at CP Rail the axe is descending rather swiftly.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:07 PM   #23
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Uh oh....my phones just starting ringing.

It appears as though if you are anywhere up to 7 years from retirement at CP Rail the axe is descending rather swiftly.
I heard they changed their severance policy to offer three days for each year served? Is that true? If so, is that something that they can do because they are federally regulated?
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:23 PM   #24
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hunter needs another ivory backscratcher
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:27 PM   #25
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
I heard they changed their severance policy to offer three days for each year served? Is that true? If so, is that something that they can do because they are federally regulated?
One of the guys that called me today indicated that they eliminated the 11 week base severance and went down to one week per year of service so overall it might work out to 3 days per year.

I havent heard of the strictly 3 days though. Maybe those are still rolling in. The guys that called me today werent operators or engineers they were management staff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 02:28 PM   #26
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Hunter needs another ivory backscratcher
Well they did bring him in as the hatchet-man. If you bring in a hatchet-man people should likely be expecting the axe.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #27
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Why? Calgary seems to be trending the same way looking at the CPS stats. And it's not like crime doesn't follow unemployment elsewhere.

Granted it might not be strictly people that were working up in Ft Mac or Cold Lake, but likely tied to the downturn.
Yep. Dad doesn't have the income anymore to give junior his beer/dope money, so junior starts breaking into cars and stealing bicycles. Or the blended family got along okay with stepdad working out of town 20 days a months, but now that's he's around 24/7 and stressed out, the fighting gets ramped up dramatically.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 03:29 PM   #28
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

What do you guys mean by 3 days for each year served? So if you only worked there for two years, you would get half a pay check as severance?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:52 PM   #29
Nufy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
One of the guys that called me today indicated that they eliminated the 11 week base severance and went down to one week per year of service so overall it might work out to 3 days per year.

I havent heard of the strictly 3 days though. Maybe those are still rolling in. The guys that called me today werent operators or engineers they were management staff.

What person / union would sign off on a change in employment conditions like that ?
Old 10-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #30
Simon96Taco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolwyn View Post
We've heard news of most of the EPCMs... any word on how Fluor is doing? I know they'll probably be ok for another quarter or so, but some jobs must be winding down now?
As an outsider looking in, Fluor seems to be doing alright. I don't know if there have been many layoffs there, but someone who works there might chime in and confirm/deny that.
Simon96Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:31 PM   #31
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LOL, what a terrible place to work, 4 freaking years of people facing the hatchet man, forced conductor training (yes you A/P clerk.... learn to run a train working out of town away from family), and moving everyone to ghetto Ogden...

Lets also say they know exactly what the legal definition of constructive dismissal is...
Old 10-05-2015, 07:37 PM   #32
RinkRat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I was at CP for the last 4 years and said screw it in May, I make a fraction of what I did but I have a life and a happy girlfriend now. Some of the sleazy stuff they get away with is amazing, all followed by the simple words "grieve it" and while Ogden is indeed "ghetto" I'll take that office over gulf Canada square any day. The free parking alone makes it a solid change.
RinkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:15 PM   #33
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
Which building is that?
Glensomething. Glenmore and Blackfoot.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 09:26 PM   #34
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon96Taco View Post
As an outsider looking in, Fluor seems to be doing alright. I don't know if there have been many layoffs there, but someone who works there might chime in and confirm/deny that.
Flour taken some hits but they have a few large chemical projects and other international stuff pulling them through. Of the big EPs they were least affected yet. I think January from what I have heard is there big cliff.

That's not to say they haven't laid anyone off but are doing better than Amec, jacobs, WP etc.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:27 PM   #35
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Companies that go the bare minimum on severance pay are scum.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:19 PM   #36
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Please share, of the severance packages I've seen thus far from friends/colleague's they are actually more generous than I was expecting.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:28 PM   #37
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
LOL, what a terrible place to work, 4 freaking years of people facing the hatchet man, forced conductor training (yes you A/P clerk.... learn to run a train working out of town away from family), and moving everyone to ghetto Ogden...

Lets also say they know exactly what the legal definition of constructive dismissal is...
Oh yeah. I have a good number of clients from CP Rail and they know exactly what they're doing and what they can get away with.

Haha! And yeah, teaching management and office staff how to conduct a train! That was also calculated.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:49 AM   #38
Canehdianman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
For most O&G jobs, the employment standards statutory minimum is less than what is required. If you get laid off and only get the statutory minimum, consult a lawyer before you sign anything. A good option is the lawyer referral service from the Law Society of Alberta - 403-228-1722
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:36 AM   #39
arcfyr
Draft Pick

Does this also apply to EPCMs though? I've heard that you can count on getting the minimum from those companies, especially smaller shops (<200 headcount).
arcfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:53 AM   #40
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know that CH2M (generally speaking) provided two weeks for each year of service for people with shorter (1-3 years) tenures. I believe this is pretty common and sort of the accepted norm/requirement.

Beyond the 3 years period it seemed to vary. That said, by acquiring a number of other companies (ie. VECO) there were a lot of inherited obligations. I didn't see anything formal, but my understanding is that some of the ex-VECO guys (we're talking 15 and 20 year employees in many cases) had legacy contracts that included a uncapped "One month per year" severance.

Frankly, if an EPC offered me the bare minimum, my first call would be to my lawyer (And I'm not a hardball/litigious sort of guy).

And smaller shops likely have to fall in line with the accepted industry norm. They don't get special consideration just because they're small.

This whole layoff/severance thing bugs me a bit. The idea behind severance is that it's supposed to help bridge the gap until you find new work. The acceptable rate (in theory) would/should ebb and flow based on market conditions and the ability of the employee to secure similar work. Instead, it's "We don't need/want you. Take some money and go away".

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WilsonFourTwo For This Useful Post:
V