Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-08-2017, 09:21 PM   #1601
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

I thought the Louis CK special was the weakest performance I've ever seen from him. Like his heart just really wasn't in it.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 12:32 PM   #1602
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Louis didn't look as down-trodden as usual. Like he's actually happy or something. His best bits have always been about how much he hates himself.

I loved his bit on his repressed homosexuality. Thought that was hilarious.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:45 PM   #1603
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
13 reasons why is probably the most messed up show i've watched. i'm disturbed and it's been a day since i finished it.
Great series. Definately some Degrassi influence, but high quality show.
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:31 PM   #1604
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe its cuz I watched Amy Schumers horrible special but Louis' was far better and was decent.

By his standards he's dropping off though, he hasn't been very funny in a long time. Compared to his old work though.

I thought Dave's new stuff was good.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #1605
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

What's the buzz on Shameless?

I'm recovering from surgery and get to spend the next bit of time glued to my couch. Need some good netflix!
Old 04-09-2017, 05:49 PM   #1606
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGilmore View Post

I'm recovering from surgery and get to spend the next bit of time glued to my couch. Need some good netflix!
Good show with some great acting performances.

It can be very uncomfortable to watch at times because everyone on the show generally makes the worst possible decisions at any given time. Whenever you think someone is getting their life together, they do something to make it worse than it was before.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:19 PM   #1607
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Watched Five Came Back this week. Really well done look at five directors (John Ford, John Huston, Frank Capra, George Stevens, and William Wyler) who left their careers in Hollywood at the top of their game to make documentaries for the U.S. military. These were larger-than-life figures, for the most part, with big personalities and quintessentially American life stories. They gave up a lot to support the war effort, leaving families, losing their places on the ladder of a ferociously competitive movie industry, and putting their lives and health at risk. Members of their crews were killed, and several were marked physically and mentally by the experience (Wyler lost his hearing, Stevens suffered from depression, and Ford's descent into alcoholism accelerated).

They made some remarkable documentaries during the war: Ford's Battle of Midway, Huston's The Battle of San Pietro, Capra's Why We Fight Series, and Wyler's Memphis Belle. Perhaps most importantly, it was Stevens and his crews who captured much of the footage we have of the Nazi extermination camps, footage that was instrumental in the Nuremberg trials.

Despite - or maybe because of - their suffering in the war, most went on to make their greatest films immediately after returning stateside. Capra made It's a Wonderful Life (which was a bomb and bankrupted his new independent studio), Huston made the Treasures of the Sierra Madre, and Wyler made The Best Years of Our Lives, the classic movie of soldiers' struggles to integrate back into civilian life after the war. Ford made They Were Expendable, where he humiliated leading man John Wayne on set for being unable to salute "like someone who has served knows how" (Wayne didn't enlist). Stevens went from being the king of the light-hearted comedy, to one of Hollywood's dramatic heavyweights (A Place in the Sun, Giant).

This documentary is extremely well done, with each of the old directors paired with a modern counterpart (Steven Spielberg does Wyler, Paul Greengrass does Ford, etc.), who walks us through their films and their war experiences. Everyone is tremendously insightful and engaged in the subject. Merryl Streep narrates. Highly recommended.
Someone should do a documentary on the Actor Jimmy Stewart, flew a bomber over Germany from 43 to 45, pulled every string he could to get into active service in one of the most dangerous commands in the war.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:06 AM   #1608
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Someone should do a documentary on the Actor Jimmy Stewart, flew a bomber over Germany from 43 to 45, pulled every string he could to get into active service in one of the most dangerous commands in the war.
And subsequently he never took a role in a war movie, though of course that's what the studios wanted him to be in. He felt it would be exploitative. A man of rare integrity.

He couldn't get the same kinds of roles after the war because his war experiences aged him so much that he looked like a middle-aged man. He's 34 at left, 36 at right, two years into his war service.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-10-2017 at 09:22 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #1609
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Retired a colonel, correct? Ed McMahon did as well.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:24 PM   #1610
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

From what I have read John Wayne tried to enlist but was ineligible because of age,family and a movie studio contract.

Anyways looks like Silver surfer was added to Netflix.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #1611
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGilmore View Post

Shameless is good. The UK version is really good too.

Just watched Hibana: Spark. Story about a struggling Manzai comic in Japan that meets an older comedian and becomes his master. Really interesting story.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:09 PM   #1612
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

New Downton episodes are out!
Old 04-11-2017, 03:36 PM   #1613
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
I thought the Louis CK special was the weakest performance I've ever seen from him. Like his heart just really wasn't in it.
Yeah...I might have to try it again a bit later but that wasnt good. To the point where I turned it off after about 15 minutes.

Just...lowest common denominator stuff but he didnt even try to make it clever. He put no effort in whatsoever.

That special was the joke and its on us, its like hes just trying to see if people will watch his material no matter what. Didnt work for me.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:30 PM   #1614
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Once you get past the abortion stuff it's much better. Seemed he was just trying to be edgy with that bit. It felt very forced. Like "I want a joke about abortion to get a rise out of people, now I need to think of a funny premise."
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:58 AM   #1615
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
I haven't watched the new one yet, but that's how I felt about his previous one. Still love the dude and consider myself a big LCK fan, but ever since it seems he'd rather be known as a director than a comedian he's just not the same dude anymore. I don't think he works nearly as hard at his material anymore, it's taken a back seat to his directing.

And what's with the suits lately?? That goes against everything the 00's LCK I fell in comedy love with stood for! He's just a different person now, he's gotten too popular and there's a certain smugness to him lately I'm not a fan of. I still like him, he has a very unique view of the world, which he expresses hilariously. But nothing can touch 04-09ish, bitter, stressed out new father, everyman LCK.

PS- I actually had no idea Amy Schumer was so hated. I never liked her, but I thought that was just my own thing. So popular hate for her goes beyond this forum? I genuinely didn't know that

Last edited by Sainters7; 04-12-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:27 PM   #1616
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

just an FYI the new Mystery Science Fiction season is up with a new cast.

I just finished watching Star Crash a rip off of Star Wars starring the Hoff and Christopher Plummer.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #1617
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Bill Nye Saves the World is out!
Old 04-21-2017, 02:21 PM   #1618
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Amy Schumer is unfunny.

This is a good idea by Netflix to hide a low star special in their 'Netflix Original' section.
good for them and yes that is exactly why they did it

Kinda annoying though
Old 04-21-2017, 04:08 PM   #1619
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Here's are recommendation for a satire comedy in the style of 'The Office' and 'Parks and Recreation'. Australian TV show that can be found on Netflix under the title "Dreamland". A bit confusing because the original title was Utopia, but that title was used for a British show, and so internationally they called it Dreamland.

Very dry satire of governments, bureaucracy, and general office work.

gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:15 PM   #1620
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

^I really enjoyed that show. Any signs of a new season?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote