Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-27-2020, 06:24 PM   #1041
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bosch is a good show, definitely worth watching. I haven't gotten around to the newest season yet but I've liked all of the others.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:26 AM   #1042
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I lost interest in Bosch about 4 episodes into season 2. May revisit it in the near future, however.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:04 AM   #1043
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I lost interest in Bosch about 4 episodes into season 2. May revisit it in the near future, however.
Same, season 2 was pretty lame.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:44 PM   #1044
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plowed through The Outsider. What started as something suspenseful, intriguing, and spooky absolutely fizzled out after 5 or 6 episodes. The finale was one of the most disappointing things I've watched. I actually felt duped for having invested in the show at all. What a piss poor way to end a miniseries.

Do not recommend.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2020, 10:37 PM   #1045
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Plowed through The Outsider. What started as something suspenseful, intriguing, and spooky absolutely fizzled out after 5 or 6 episodes. The finale was one of the most disappointing things I've watched. I actually felt duped for having invested in the show at all. What a piss poor way to end a miniseries.

Do not recommend.
I kind of agree with this. There was lots to like but like a lot of Stephen King stories, the ending could not live up to the premise. The big problem?

Spoiler!
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2020, 10:41 PM   #1046
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

We just finished Defending Jacob on Apple +. That was good. Really interesting story adapted from the book which I had read several years ago but luckily couldn't remember too much. Upon research, I see they changed some things too.

Chris Evans isn't much of an actor IMO but he has the charisma to make it easy to watch him.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:24 PM   #1047
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I have read every one of Connelly’s books and enjoy them. Some have been made into movies like Blood Work with Clint Eastwood and Lincoln Lawyer with McConaughey. I can’t vouch for this TV series but the source material is great.

If only someone would make an Elvis Cole and Joe Pike series.

For the Bosch books it helps to be a little familiar with LA or interest in the area at least. I feel like the setting is a big part of the story. Your review has me interested in watching this show which has kind of gone under the radar.
Probably the wrong thread for this but I have really dove into that first novel (The Black Echo), you are definitely right about the setting being important with how Connelly describes things, but I feel like he does a good enough job describing that I'm not too lost with zero knowledge of LA. I'm not an avid reader and often a novel can take me months, but I've read 2/3 in the last few days (I restarted from the beginning because it had been some time since I had picked it up). I did notice that he has a ton of crossover with his characters so I am going to try to just read them all in order
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 06:27 AM   #1048
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I kind of agree with this. There was lots to like but like a lot of Stephen King stories, the ending could not live up to the premise. The big problem?

Spoiler!
I really enjoyed the series overall as the acting was top notch but the final episode was definitely a letdown. I didn't read the book and assumed they stayed close to the source material and the ending simply didn't translate well to TV?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:13 AM   #1049
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:

Do not recommend.
Well, I mean, it WAS based off of a Stephen King story. So that kind of disappointment goes hand in hand with 99% of all King's work.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:59 AM   #1050
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Well, I mean, it WAS based off of a Stephen King story. So that kind of disappointment goes hand in hand with 99% of all King's work.
Ha ha no. His stuff is hit/miss but it's a bit of a bad take to proclaim that 99% is disappointing.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:08 PM   #1051
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Spoiler!
Yes. You can clearly see they tried to retroactively enable the return for a second season. Another big problem is that they flubbed it. Hard.

Spoiler!

Agree that it was a really well shot, paced, and acted series that was spoiled by inconsistent narrative and a ridiculous ending.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 06-01-2020, 12:41 PM   #1052
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've watched the first 4 episodes of Hannibal and its crazy dark and creepy. I like it. I can't believe this was a network show with all the graphic scenes. My wife won't even sit in the same room with the show on. Highly recommend. Hopefully the entire series is as good.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:48 PM   #1053
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep991 View Post
I've watched the first 4 episodes of Hannibal and its crazy dark and creepy. I like it. I can't believe this was a network show with all the graphic scenes. My wife won't even sit in the same room with the show on. Highly recommend. Hopefully the entire series is as good.
It is.

Too bad NBC pulled the plug when they did, although it's really amazing that it lasted as long as it did as a network show.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:29 PM   #1054
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It is.

Too bad NBC pulled the plug when they did, although it's really amazing that it lasted as long as it did as a network show.
You've hit one of my favourites. I was a 'Hannibal Purist' and basically didnt even want to watch the show because I was absolutely positive they couldnt do the characters or stories any justice on TV with new actors and limits as to what goes on network TV.

Eventually I begrudgingly watched it certain that I'd spend my time just making fun of it.

But I loved it. Absolutely loved it. I loved the stories, the characters, all of it. They did such a great job with that show. Mads Mikkelsen absolutely slaughtered his way through that show with amazing performances, I'm a huge fan of Samuel L. Jackson as the head authority figure, it was amazing. I know it was Laurence Fishburne, thats the joke.

I really wanted a service with more resources and creative freedom to pick it up and keep it going. Such a great, great show.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:20 PM   #1055
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya Hannibal was great. Got a bit weird in S3 at some parts, but turned out awesome in the end. Top 5 show for me.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:45 PM   #1056
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It actually gets considerably better, at least for a while, once they've settled in. And yes, Mads Mikkelsen's performance in that show is one of the greatest ever turned in in any TV program. Combined with the art direction, it's just outstanding.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:03 PM   #1057
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The season 2 finale of Hannibal is one of the best episodes of TV I've ever seen.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:50 PM   #1058
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I watch the first couple episodes of Hannibal and I didn’t dig it at all. Maybe it was the monster of the week format? I think? I loved the books and the movies. Well, the good ones.

I may need to revisit this.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:32 PM   #1059
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I found Hannibal a fantastic series and I was so impressed/astounded that it was essentially a mainstream network production.
In my opinion it is well worth binge time. I will definitely watch again, thanks to being reminded of it.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:19 PM   #1060
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Last nights episode of Harley Quinn was amazing after a couple of weeks of near comedy episodes concerning the hilarious interactions between Qunn and Ivy where they kept waking up in bed with each other.

But this episode was pure heartbreak.

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote